Author Topic: Anyone else looking for Rondo to score more?  (Read 7653 times)

Re: Anyone else looking for Rondo to score more?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Nope.

The PG's role is to run the team, not score the ball.

His role is to execute Coach Stevens' plan on the floor. I'm guessing that Coach Stevens isn't asking Rondo to score the ball, but run his team.

Rondo can score just fine, but he runs the team even better.

this is just an excuse from fans of a PG who can't score.

And that's an insult for detractors for a Point Guard they want gone.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Nope.

His role is to execute Coach Stevens' plan on the floor. I'm guessing that Coach Stevens isn't asking Rondo to score the ball, but run his team.

How can he be more effective running the team if the team isn't converting his created opportunities? If that's true, then that raises a legitimate question: Can we build around a guy who is 100% less effective as a scorer?

We've been looking for Rondo to score more since the big 3 era

This is true, but nearing a full ACL tear recovery, this is the first season since 2012-13 that it's been rational to ask that of him.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If he could he would. Rondo struggles to score because he's still a poor perimeter shooter, never developed a floater (this would've been huge), is abysmal from the line, and on his finishes/layups around the basket he only uses his right hand. Point is that he's very limited in ways he can actually score.

Rondo's made tons of layups with his left hand. Some of those criticisms are on target but that one's nonsense.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If he could he would. Rondo struggles to score because he's still a poor perimeter shooter, never developed a floater (this would've been huge), is abysmal from the line, and on his finishes/layups around the basket he only uses his right hand. Point is that he's very limited in ways he can actually score.

Rondo's made tons of layups with his left hand. Some of those criticisms are on target but that one's nonsense.

Tim do you think Rondo has an efficient floater?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Can't speak about the Houston game, as I had to miss it.

But, Rondo scored 13 points in limited minutes against the Nets.

He also missed all 4 of his free throws that game.

Was that motion offense...in motion (and fast break offense)? I thought Rondo scored in the flow of the game quite well, but also hit a couple crucial shots to keep the Nets at bay.

Our pace was crazy that game, though.

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Tim do you think Rondo has an efficient floater?

He did in 2010 and 2011 or so. He doesn't take that many of them now, and he doesn't hit as many as he did back then.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 02:39:24 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

this is just an excuse from fans of a PG who can't score.

And that's an insult for detractors for a Point Guard they want gone.

Yep, exactly.

He can't shoot.....now he can't score.

Next? Celticsblog will strip Rajon Rondo of his passing duties.....wait that's been done on here, too lol.

All of this after one game, no less.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The only thing that worries me with Rondo is his ability-or lack there of- to take over the Celtics scoring duties on a regular basis.

If we are going to pay this guy $24 million dollars in the 5th year of his max contract, then he needs to be able to take over scoring responsibilities in a game like the Rockets game. He made the correct decisions for the most part but if I had one criticism it's that he deferred too much.
 He gave up some wide open shots and looked to pass, often when there was limited time on the clock.

Perhaps his hand is hurting more than he's letting on and it's affecting his shooting?

We've seen him take over playoff games when the adrenaline is pumping and the whole world is watching- but I want to see him take over the game as the head honcho of this franchise and do it regularly.
 It's going to mean his body takes a beating, and maybe he gets a few less assists. We are in desperate need of a scoring thug/alpha dog like James Harden or even Lance Stephenson. I'm praying that Marcus Smart is that Celtics thug or we are looking at a long rebuild.

Marcus Smart to me, has the heart and will of Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant etc...
When someone puts that much effort into every opportunity on the floor, constantly thinking on defense, hustles every single play and doesn't take nights off, they're gonna be special when they have the skills and athleticism to complete the package.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agree, his skillset is not great for scoring but he does help others score by setting them up.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 05:56:42 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
The only thing that worries me with Rondo is his ability-or lack there of- to take over the Celtics scoring duties on a regular basis.

If we are going to pay this guy $24 million dollars in the 5th year of his max contract, then he needs to be able to take over scoring responsibilities in a game like the Rockets game. He made the correct decisions for the most part but if I had one criticism it's that he deferred too much.
 He gave up some wide open shots and looked to pass, often when there was limited time on the clock.

Perhaps his hand is hurting more than he's letting on and it's affecting his shooting?

We've seen him take over playoff games when the adrenaline is pumping and the whole world is watching- but I want to see him take over the game as the head honcho of this franchise and do it regularly.
 It's going to mean his body takes a beating, and maybe he gets a few less assists. We are in desperate need of a scoring thug/alpha dog like James Harden or even Lance Stephenson. I'm praying that Marcus Smart is that Celtics thug or we are looking at a long rebuild.

Marcus Smart to me, has the heart and will of Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant etc...
When someone puts that much effort into every opportunity on the floor, constantly thinking on defense, hustles every single play and doesn't take nights off, they're gonna be special when they have the skills and athleticism to complete the package.
Exactly
Rondo didn't have the heart and spirit of smart (and sullinger) to fight and give all out every game, otherwise he will be the MVP candidate long before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkMk1A6-Q0U&list=UUZ3ooucD3IrQTXo4N6Y018w&index=2
See sully fighting out there, very impressive

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 06:56:39 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
it hurt to watch rondo last year and i had grave concern that his speed and explosiveness would be damaged to point that it would effect his game-its only his 2nd game back and playing with injured hand and he grabs 10 rebounds-rondo stated he is not fully back but i applaud his 91%

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 07:13:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not with that stuff on his hand .

Sully shot was way off when he hurt his finger last year.

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Where was all the concern about scoring after the first game? We shot 1-25 on threes and still scored 90 vs the Rockets. We could have shot a well below average 5-25 on threes and broken 100 points.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 07:48:31 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Where was all the concern about scoring after the first game? We shot 1-25 on threes and still scored 90 vs the Rockets. We could have shot a well below average 5-25 on threes and broken 100 points.

Vs the Nets we shot 55% from the field from 88 shots.

Vs the Rockets we shot 37% from the field from 98 shots.

Are you not looking for Rondo to score more Tim? like 15 ppg with 11 or 12 assists?
What did you think about him not taking those jumpshots? Didn't seem normal to me.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Rondo is what he is and may be even less than he was (although I think he is going to be fine).  The PG (and especially our PG, Rondo) is going to get too much credit when the offense is good (first game) and too much blame when the offense is bad (second game).  I am with Tim on this one, at least relative to criticism on that specific game.

I don't know what to make of the first two games.  Did Houston make some dramatic adjustment?  Are we just that bi-polar of a team (home and away)?  I don't know, but it is going to take more than Rondo looking to score more to correct all the problems that were apparent in Houston.