Author Topic: Forsberg: Turner might be playing his way into starting role  (Read 7991 times)

Re: Forsberg: Turner might be playing his way into starting role
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
According to Jay King, Stevens just said this at practice:

Jeff Green will spend some time at the 4 this season. "I think Evan has to play," Stevens said

Writing on the wall.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/521686644312002560

No shocker here. Let your best players play. If Jeff and Turner turn out to be two of our top 5 (pretty logical possibility) then they'll both find their way to 30 minutes a night and potentially the starting lineup. Jeff can play 3/4. Evan can play 1/2/3. No reason they can't co-exist and help each other and the team be better.

Plus, I like the additional size. We shouldn't have Pressey or Smart starting for Rondo, so we might as well have Bradley, Turner, Green, Sully, Zeller in the starting lineup and have Turner act as point on offense. Key subs would be Smart, Thornton & KO, with Pressey, Young and flotsam competing for scraps.
For all the green colored optimism that many on this site have and had for Zeller being a starter and a developing piece for the future, about all he has shown is what he has shown thus far in the league, that he is probably neither. He doesn't deserve to start and Anthony and Olynyk have shown they deserve more playing time. Zeller has been nothing short of awful thus far.

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hate to be the spoiler at this party.  But, when Turner's signing came to be news, seems almost every Philly fan dissed Turner to the max.  I haven't seen anything but positive play from him.  Good defense, passing, scoring, good teammate, etc.  I'm beginning to wonder if Turner is the real deal or are we seeing a mirage?

Philly fans haven't seen good basketball since, like, 1983 or something.

Allen Iverson would like to talk to you about 2001 ;)

I've seen good basketball.  Good basketball is a friend of mine.  Those Iverson teams did not play good basketball. 

They played good defense, but it was not good basketball.

Iverson and the Defenders.
Michael and the Jordanaires.

Sounds more like bands playing proms than teams playing basketball.

You know, as bad as those groups sound, they're still far and away above anything and everything that's on the radio now lol.

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Another idea:

Turner in the old Quisy role:  swiss army knife off the bench, plays 1-3, team play, always within himself, multi-skilled, great asset to the team, can't keep him off the court.

or...

Turner in the Ricky Davis role:  wants bigger role than he has/has earned, thinks he is a star rather than part, thinks he can be the lead rather than the 2nd-3rd option.

Or...

Philly fans wanted him to be a #1 dominant guy, and he's best in an ensemble cast of very very good players that play well as a team, which is what we might hope for this year to take us to the playoffs.

I think he's more of Daniels than Davis, skills-wise, but I agree that that would be great for us.  He's also not injury prone like Marquis was, and is clearly the better shooter, ball handler, and can create his own shot, while Quis was a much better defender and post player (although Turner has shown that he can play inside, and I'd like to see more of that.  Much more.).  Turner's also a better passer. 

That aside, I'd love for him to start, but how does he fit with Rondo, given that they both need the ball in their hands.  Actually, I think Rondo can play very well without the ball, because at least he's done so in the early stages of his career, while I'm not sure if Turner can adjust.  Either way, I'd at least want to try it out for a while, because he's so much better than Green.  Maybe put Turner on the box more and have Rondo get the ball off an around-the-horn swing of the ball, but wait, no one plays like that anymore :'(.  Sigh.  Oh well lol ;D.  It's a thought, at least.

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Bradley might be playing his way out of his starting role

Rondo
Turner
Green
Sully
Kelly

Not a bad starting line up

Smart
Bradley
Young
Bass
Zeller

Not a bad 2nd unit

Probably hovering around the 8th seed?

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Rondo
Turner
Green
Sully
Kelly

Smart
Bradley
Young
Bass
Zeller

Not a bad 2nd unit

So you don't see Thorton getting minutes?  It seems like he has played well enough to be in the rotation.  I like Young as well, but everyone seems to be convinced he is off to Maine.

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I don't know about Turner. Green is a solid defender...right? He's bigger and has been covering the top SF's for a while now. I am not a big JG backer. He simply has never caught my imagination. Fights on D though.

Turner doesn't ring my bell. We are starved for a guy who can make a play and Turner can, but, I don't see how you take Green's defense out of a game in favor of Turner's "game."

I watch these relatively awful games and really find the "motion" offense to be the most efficient for our roster of "complementary players."

Green is not really a "motion guy." Now here's my observation, Turner "holds the ball" for a play relatively often  and visually disrupts the flow of the motion. Phil Pressey who is a third stringer on a sunny day, has mastered the motion offense and the flow is more watchable (meaning this bunch sucks less) when he is playing ....sometimes.

I suggest our debate on this forum, when it comes to any player on this roster, is their suitability for the motion offense. Not sold on Turner, Green, Smart or Rondo for the motion. This would be more of a criticism of the GM not matching personnel with the coach? Regardless, without a front court you can start Squeaky Fromme at the small forward, as long as she can pass to the open man?...We gotta shot at winning a couple.

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
IIRC, on media day Green talked about sustaining better defense this year. He has a career 108 DR and last year had a 109 DR (and a 102 OR). Seems like his defensive game has been like his offensive game--decidedly uneven despite solid tools and some impressive stretches.

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Rondo
Turner
Green
Sully
Kelly

Smart
Bradley
Young
Bass
Zeller

Not a bad 2nd unit

So you don't see Thorton getting minutes?  It seems like he has played well enough to be in the rotation.  I like Young as well, but everyone seems to be convinced he is off to Maine.

I like Thornton, completely forgot about him though, haha he'd definitely get minutes over Young. 3 guard line up could be a good or bad mis match though

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nothing better for a team than real competition for starting roles and playing time. Hope this lights a fuse under Jeff Green's ass and he realizes he needs to be aggressive and active every minute he is on the floor or else he will lose his spot and his minutes.
Periods of passivity/zoning out is part of Green's DNA and will never change.  That's not something you can coach out of someone at this stage of the game.  He is what he is.

Why is everyone assuming that Turner takes Green's spot? Green is fine as a player I don't understand what more people want from him.

They want him to be an underpaid All Star.

Jeff has his limitations but he has his strengths and he is fairly paid.  Most Celtics fans will never just accept this though.
Just because he's a "fine as a player" doesn't mean he would be guaranteed to start. Evan Turner is also a "fine as a player".

What "they" want him to be is someone who creates high-percentage offense for himself, because the next guy the starting lineup who can do that will be the first. Green can't do it. He can "consume" offence just fine (that is, score when the entire defense isn't focused on him) -- which is a fine skill to have, but that's not what this team needs.

So unless Green and his game proves to be some sort of a revelation, the team is better served by sitting him in favor of Turner -- at least as far as I am concerned.

How does this make any sense when Turner also cannot create his own 'high percentage' offense?

Turner's career FG% is 42% and his career 3PT% is 32%.  Over his entire career he has shot above 44% from the field only once, and shot better than 32% from three only once.

Jeff Green's career averages are higher than that (44% and 34% respectively). 

I don't see any way you could argue that Turner creates his own 'high percentage' offense better than Green does.  Green's career scoring average (per 36 minutes) is 13% higher AND his percentages are higher pretty much across the board.  He is clearly a superior offensive player overall, with the only exception being passing - where Turner definitely has the advantage.

The only argument you can make for Turner as a scorer is that he's more aggressive driving to the basket, but even this argument is pretty much moot since 30% of Jeff Green's shots have come from 0-3 feet over his career, and he has shot 64% on those attempts.  while turner has shot 60%.  By comparison only 20% of Turner's attempts have come from 0-3 feet, and he's shot only 60% on those attempts.

In fact the majority (24.9%) of Turner's offense has come from 10-16 feet (where he has shot 40.6%), with the second highest number of attempts (24.1%) coming from 16 feet to 3 point (where he has shot 39.1%).  These long two-point jumpers are widely acknowledged to be the most inefficient shots in basketball, and while turners percentages from those ranges are not bad, they aren't good enough that you would consider it a good shot - as you would with somebody like Brandon Bass or Kevin Garnett. 

On the other hand the majority (30.6%) of Green's offense comes from 0-3 feet (where he has shot 64%) with the second largest number of shots (25.1%) coming from the three point line (where he has shot (34.4%).  These two locations are widely considered to be the most efficient types of shots in basketball.

Jeff Green does shoot his lowest percentage from 10-16 feet, but this is ok because he only takes 17% of his field goal attempts from that range.   His second worst shooting percentage is from 16 feet to the three point line, but again that's ok because only 9% of his offense comes from there. 

So what this tells us is that Jeff Green is a pretty decent offensive player to have.  The two most efficient types of shots in basketball (shots around the basket and three point shots) happen to be his stronger areas offensively, and they also are the shots he takes the most of.  Likewise the most inefficient shots in basketball (long 2's) are the shots he is less skilled at, and also takes the least of.

Looking at all the numbers I can't see how anybody could argue that Turner is a more efficient offensive player.

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Don't get me wrong, I like Turner and I love the acquisition - I just think this is a classic case of Celtics Bloggers overeating (e.g. Smart is already better than Rondo!!!). 

Turner has 3 or 4 solid games (in the preseason!!) when Jeff Green happened to be out with an injury (hence no production to compare against) and suddenly people are saying Turner should start over Green.

I say let's let Green keep his starting spot (he has earned it so far) and if Turner really is good enough to take that from Green, let him earn it with his play - on a consistent basis.  Once we are 15-20 games in to the season if Turner is still outplaying Green, then by all means start him.

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's have almost no shot at a ring so why not go with the best guys and play small ball? It would make for a good run and gun team.

Starters= Rondo, AB, Turner, Green, Sully
Rotation guys= Smart, Thornton, Young, Bass, Olynyk
Emergency bench=Pressey, Wallace, Zeller, Anthony, _.

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 09:58:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
According to Jay King, Stevens just said this at practice:

Jeff Green will spend some time at the 4 this season. "I think Evan has to play," Stevens said

Writing on the wall.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/521686644312002560

No shocker here. Let your best players play. If Jeff and Turner turn out to be two of our top 5 (pretty logical possibility) then they'll both find their way to 30 minutes a night and potentially the starting lineup. Jeff can play 3/4. Evan can play 1/2/3. No reason they can't co-exist and help each other and the team be better.

Plus, I like the additional size. We shouldn't have Pressey or Smart starting for Rondo, so we might as well have Bradley, Turner, Green, Sully, Zeller in the starting lineup and have Turner act as point on offense. Key subs would be Smart, Thornton & KO, with Pressey, Young and flotsam competing for scraps.
For all the green colored optimism that many on this site have and had for Zeller being a starter and a developing piece for the future, about all he has shown is what he has shown thus far in the league, that he is probably neither. He doesn't deserve to start and Anthony and Olynyk have shown they deserve more playing time. Zeller has been nothing short of awful thus far.

Yeah, I mean, I didn't expect a lot from Zeller, but could he at least try to look like he's AWAKE on the court lol? ;D  Yes, we've already reached this point and it's not even the regular season yet.  Ugh.

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would start Turner at the point.