Author Topic: Forsberg: Turner might be playing his way into starting role  (Read 7983 times)

Forsberg: Turner might be playing his way into starting role
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Stevens has offered subtle hints that Turner might be playing his way into the conversation for a starting role.

Jeff Green, the incumbent at small forward, has missed the first four games of the exhibition season with a calf strain and might have to reassert himself a bit when he returns to ensure he holds that spot.

So, with all that said, has Turner’s play given cause to reevaluate the starting SF position? I think it has. Of course, any honest evaluation must be prefaced with the declaration that this is still the preseason, but Turner has clearly played well. 

His defense has been solid:

Synergy Sports defensive data says he's allowing 0.743 points per play, which is a very good number for the talent he opposed at his position and is below the team average of 0.868 points per play, which ranked Boston in the middle of the NBA pack through Saturday's action.

He attacks the basket:

He may be Boston's best player at getting to the rim and can create for others in the process. Turner struggles to finish at the basket, but he's one of the few Celtics who can get there off the dribble.

According to Stevens, Turner is hungry:

We talked about one of the things we are excited about the addition of Evan for us is that he's got even more hunger added to his norm, just because of the way last year ended for him. And I think he's looking at it as a fresh start and a start that he can take advantage of. He's certainly done that. I very much trust him in the game right now.

Green's position in the starting five is, in my view, under pressure. This story, the battle at the 3, may be one of the more compelling storylines of the preseason. In Turner we have a player who is willing to rebound, defend, attack the basket off the dribble, and create for his teammates--I'm just not sure Green can provide that. 

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/11689281/evan-turner-trying-make-every-minute-boston-celtics-count

Re: Forsberg: Turner might be playing his way into starting role
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
could there also be a chance that he takes over the SG position over Bradley?

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

not likely. Turner only a starter until Jeff Green comesback.

Forsberg has prob nothing to write as of late

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

not likely. Turner only a starter until Jeff Green comesback.

Forsberg has prob nothing to write as of late

Green only has a strain calf? I don't think that will sideline him past opening day. I like the Turner signing but wonder if Stevens will lose his team if he plugs players in and out of the starting lineup

unless he is doing it to open up trades for Green and people like Bass

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
With Smart and Turner, Danny has either assembled incredible depth, or set us up for the free agency of Rondo and Green (opting out) next summer without being in too much of a jam.

Green is the incumbent starter and I would expect him to go on opening day, but with Rondo out and Smart's inexperience, Turner may well start at PG when the games count.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Hate to be the spoiler at this party.  But, when Turner's signing came to be news, seems almost every Philly fan dissed Turner to the max.  I haven't seen anything but positive play from him.  Good defense, passing, scoring, good teammate, etc.  I'm beginning to wonder if Turner is the real deal or are we seeing a mirage?   

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
According to Jay King, Stevens just said this at practice:

Jeff Green will spend some time at the 4 this season. "I think Evan has to play," Stevens said

Writing on the wall.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/521686644312002560

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Stevens would likely also want to light a fire under Green and even KO, with his slide in some areas since the preseason started, so it makes sense for him to talk up competition for what could be their starting spots.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
Hate to be the spoiler at this party.  But, when Turner's signing came to be news, seems almost every Philly fan dissed Turner to the max.  I haven't seen anything but positive play from him.  Good defense, passing, scoring, good teammate, etc.  I'm beginning to wonder if Turner is the real deal or are we seeing a mirage?

Philly fans haven't seen good basketball since, like, 1983 or something.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Stevens would likely also want to light a fire under Green and even KO, with his slide in some areas since the preseason started, so it makes sense for him to talk up competition for what could be their starting spots.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
Another idea:

Turner in the old Quisy role:  swiss army knife off the bench, plays 1-3, team play, always within himself, multi-skilled, great asset to the team, can't keep him off the court.

or...

Turner in the Ricky Davis role:  wants bigger role than he has/has earned, thinks he is a star rather than part, thinks he can be the lead rather than the 2nd-3rd option.

Or...

Philly fans wanted him to be a #1 dominant guy, and he's best in an ensemble cast of very very good players that play well as a team, which is what we might hope for this year to take us to the playoffs.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

Allen Iverson would like to talk to you about 2001 ;)

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

I've seen good basketball.  Good basketball is a friend of mine.  Those Iverson teams did not play good basketball. 

They played good defense, but it was not good basketball.

Iverson and the Defenders.
Michael and the Jordanaires.

Sounds more like bands playing proms than teams playing basketball.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Jeff Green will spend some time at the 4 this season. "I think Evan has to play," Stevens said

Writing on the wall.

yeah, I was waiting for the option of moving green to the 4 and sully / ko to the 5.

we might be looking at a:
RR, Avery, Turner, Green, Sully starting lineup
with a strong 2nd unit of smart, thorton, ko, zellar and bass

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I've seen good basketball.  Good basketball is a friend of mine.  Those Iverson teams did not play good basketball. 

They played good defense, but it was not good basketball.

Iverson and the Defenders.
Michael and the Jordanaires.

Sounds more like bands playing proms than teams playing basketball.

LOL

Writing on the wall.

yeah, I was waiting for the option of moving green to the 4 and sully / ko to the 5.

we might be looking at a:
RR, Avery, Turner, Green, Sully starting lineup
with a strong 2nd unit of smart, thorton, ko, zellar and bass

I believe we will get killed at the boards...don't think Green can actually play the 4...he may be quicker for drives and slashes, but he isn't posting a 4 anytime soon nor can he defend the 4 in my opinion (could be wrong)

Though this does make us a running team with Bradley/Green and Turner running on a break