Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366906 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1155 on: November 01, 2018, 04:04:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The point per Hinkie was to put the team in the best possible position to compete for championships, by quite simply playing the best possible odds.

If the Sixers never win a title, but essentially have a decade like the Mavs directly preceding the title in 2011, the Bucks in the 80's, or the Hawks decade with Horford, I'd think the Process would be deemed a raging success, and frankly it looks like the Sixers are set up to have that sort of run.  Making the playoffs every year, winning playoff series a lot of years, and with a couple of deep runs is very hard, and it shouldn't be discredited just because they weren't the 1 team to win a title in any season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1156 on: November 01, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The point per Hinkie was to put the team in the best possible position to compete for championships, by quite simply playing the best possible odds.

If the Sixers never win a title, but essentially have a decade like the Mavs directly preceding the title in 2011, the Bucks in the 80's, or the Hawks decade with Horford, I'd think the Process would be deemed a raging success, and frankly it looks like the Sixers are set up to have that sort of run.  Making the playoffs every year, winning playoff series a lot of years, and with a couple of deep runs is very hard, and it shouldn't be discredited just because they weren't the 1 team to win a title in any season.

Wow. I think this is the most shocked I have been to read something by you. I think the Hawks are frequently held up as an example of the opposite of what you want to do and something the 76ers have frequently cited as the whole point of the process (to not be the hawks). To say the 76ers ending up like that would make the process a raging success is quite honestly the most shocking take I have may have read from your (or perhaps any poster).

« Reply #1157 on: November 01, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sell that notion to the Sixer fanbase who haven't seen a title since the Reagan administration.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1158 on: November 01, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Sell that notion to the Sixer fanbase who haven't seen a title since the Reagan administration.

You can actually regularly find their fans making comments like if fultz doesn't turn this around or we can't get Klay, Butler or Leonard, we are basically the Atlanta hawks and this will have all have been a disaster.  Calling them becoming a perennial second round exit that never realistically threatens for a championship a raging success is pretty funny to hear. 

« Reply #1159 on: November 01, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Wow. I think this is the most shocked I have been to read something by you. I think the Hawks are frequently held up as an example of the opposite of what you want to do and something the 76ers have frequently cited as the whole point of the process (to not be the hawks). To say the 76ers ending up like that would make the process a raging success is quite honestly the most shocking take I have may have read from your (or perhaps any poster).
I find it amusing that any fanbase would be upset with 10 straight playoff appearances with 6 playoff series victories, especially from one that in the preceding 18 seasons had 6 playoff series victories and only 9 playoff appearances.  Going back further in the preceding 26 seasons they had 10 playoff appearances and 7 playoff victories.  This idea that a decade of playoff appearances with multiple seasons of winning at least 1 playoff series is a failure, it just nonsense. 

« Reply #1160 on: November 01, 2018, 04:35:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

But that is the point.  They made the playoffs only 10 times in the 26 years before last years playoff appearances.  To go from once every 2.5 seasons to every single year, is in fact a success.  Just because fans always want more, doesn't mean it won't have been a success.  I mean there are plenty of Golden State fans that consider 2015 a failure since they lost in the finals, but again that was a successful season by just about any measure you can have. 

Was the Sonics/Thunder full on tank for 2.5 season a failure because they never won a title?

« Reply #1161 on: November 01, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I find it amusing that any fanbase would be upset with 10 straight playoff appearances with 6 playoff series victories, especially from one that in the preceding 18 seasons had 6 playoff series victories and only 9 playoff appearances.  Going back further in the preceding 26 seasons they had 10 playoff appearances and 7 playoff victories.  This idea that a decade of playoff appearances with multiple seasons of winning at least 1 playoff series is a failure, it just nonsense.

If you poll the fans, players, or front office of the 76ers and ask them if you win 5 more playoff series and make the next 9 playoffs, is the process a success? I would be shocked if you could find one of them any in any group to call it a raging success. My opinion is that you are completely off the reservation on this one or doing some sort of comedic bit that I am not understanding

« Reply #1162 on: November 01, 2018, 04:40:29 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

But that is the point.  They made the playoffs only 10 times in the 26 years before last years playoff appearances.  To go from once every 2.5 seasons to every single year, is in fact a success.  Just because fans always want more, doesn't mean it won't have been a success.  I mean there are plenty of Golden State fans that consider 2015 a failure since they lost in the finals, but again that was a successful season by just about any measure you can have.

It's really quite simple, when you've had years worth of high to mid range lottery picks via a highly publicized "Process", the bar should be higher than "make the playoffs" every single year. 

I think most people would agree with this concept.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1163 on: November 01, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Really? You can't think of one fanbase that would be upset with 10 years of making the playoffs, winning 6 series in that time but not winning a championship? Really? Not any? And you are making that statement on CelticsStrong?

« Reply #1164 on: November 01, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Really? You can't think of one fanbase that would be upset with 10 years of making the playoffs, winning 6 series in that time but not winning a championship? Really? Not any? And you are making that statement on CelticsStrong?
and a tp for you sir...

« Reply #1165 on: November 01, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

it is still a successful run though.  Were the Malone/Stockton Jazz a failure? Were the 80's Bucks a failure? If the Mavs didn't win in  2011 would they have been a failure? What about the Thunder, were they a failure (remember they tanked just as blatantly as the Sixers for 2.5 seasons)?

Asking a franchise in the midst of a run if they would be satisfied with what I described is never going to yield anything but no, but it doesn't make it a failure either.

« Reply #1166 on: November 01, 2018, 07:01:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

it is still a successful rin though.  Were the Malone/Stickton Jazz a failure? Were the 80's Bucks a failure? If the Mavs didn't win in  2011 would they have been a failure? What about the Thunder, were they a failure (remember they tanked just as blatantly as the Suxers for 2.5 seasons)?

Asking a franchise in the midst of a run if they would be satisfied with what I described is never going to yield anything but no, but it doesn't make it a failure either.
Yeah, you are moving the goalposts on that answer, Moranis. My reply was only on your claim that there isn't a fanbase that wouldn't be upset with the results you stated.

I never commented on if those teams failed. I never commented on Dallas, Utah, Milwaukee, OKC or anything else you said. I commented on a very specific comment and that comment, to me, is pretty far from reality given how Celtics fans would view those results. And given you are making that on a Celtic fan blog is unreal.

« Reply #1167 on: November 01, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
There is no need to tank for 4 years to simply make the playoffs every year for an extended period.  No tanking required.  And that wasn’t the goal.  The goal was to get superstars in order to compete for championships.  So while they might be happy to be like those Mavs, like celticsclay says- the Hawks are the oppposite of what the Sixers are trying to be.  Those Bucks too.

« Reply #1168 on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

it is still a successful rin though.  Were the Malone/Stickton Jazz a failure? Were the 80's Bucks a failure? If the Mavs didn't win in  2011 would they have been a failure? What about the Thunder, were they a failure (remember they tanked just as blatantly as the Suxers for 2.5 seasons)?

Yeah, you are moving the goalposts on that answer, Moranis. My reply was only on your claim that there isn't a fanbase that wouldn't be upset with the results you stated.

I never commented on if those teams failed. I never commented on Dallas, Utah, Milwaukee, OKC or anything else you said. I commented on a very specific comment and that comment, to me, is pretty far from reality given how Celtics fans would view those results. And given you are making that on a Celtic fan blog is unreal.
I also grew up with most of my sports memories in the 90's when the Celtics were awful and watched this exact fanbase celebrate quite significantly the Walker/Pierce teams of the early 2000's, which as we know weren't contenders

« Reply #1169 on: November 01, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
There is no need to tank for 4 years to simply make the playoffs every year for an extended period.  No tanking required.  And that wasn’t the goal.  The goal was to get superstars in order to compete for championships.  So while they might be happy to be like those Mavs, like celticsclay says- the Hawks are the oppposite of what the Sixers are trying to be.  Those Bucks too.
that isn't the same thing I'm arguing.