Author Topic: Chris Sale undergoes MRI after elbow pain: There's "some concern" Red Sox say  (Read 9016 times)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Our ace might not be ready for Opening Day. In fact, he may be out for the year.

Chris Sale has MRI on elbow; ‘there’s some concern’ Red Sox say
By Peter Abraham Globe Staff,Updated March 3, 2020, 11:27 a.m.

TAMPA, Fla. — The risk with Chris Sale was always that his unconventional mechanics and fierce competitiveness would lead to a serious elbow injury. But the Red Sox went all in, trading for the ace lefthander three years ago, then signing him to a lucrative contract extension after he helped deliver a World Series title in 2018.

Now what they have always feared would happen is a distinct possibility. Sale felt pain in his elbow after throwing 15 pitches to teammates Sunday, had an MRI the next day, and is waiting for Dr. James Andrews to determine whether Tommy John surgery is needed.

“I’m alive,” Sale said with a shrug and a wry smile as he left the Red Sox clubhouse in Fort Myers Tuesday.

Team doctors have read the MRI and given their diagnosis. But Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom held back on revealing Sale’s condition until Andrews has his say. That should be by Wednesday morning.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/03/sports/red-sox-chris-sale-undergo-mri-after-experiencing-elbow-soreness/?p1=HP_Feed_ContentQuery

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
"The wheels on the bus are coming off, coming off, coming off..."

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well, baseball is way down on my sports excitement list for this year.  This sure does not help.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Yea the combination of how good the Celtics are doing as well as a few college basketball teams I like _ mookie betts trade has me at all time low excitement for opening day I think.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Eh, not really a big deal since this wasn't supposed to be a competitive year anyway. I would rather Sale get the surgery he needs, Red Sox continue to build up their farm system, and then come back in 2021 ready to go. Not exactly the kind of year Sox fans were hoping for, but they were pretty terrible last year and the Mookie/Price trade pretty much put the failure stamp on this season.

Those big contracts after the WS are certainly proving to be a mistake, but I still think it's pretty awesome that we are just one season removed from a WS. The Sox will still be big spenders in the future - just gotta get over this bump in the road.

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah, I think this is gonna be a sucky season. I think they'd be mediocre even with Sale, given how bad the back half of the rotation was projecting to be, but his absence would make the team even worse. I really think this year's team—best case—ends up being like a lot of those Texas Rangers teams of the '90s and '00s: lots of offense but terrible pitching, so in the end a roughly .500 squad, which is nothing to write home about.

The worst part about my baseball team being bad is that it's the only sport going for the whole summer, so that makes the entire summer pretty much a black hole for sports-related stuff.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Truly an amazing week for Boston sports

Chris Sale is officially having Tommy John Surgery...  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

So Betts is traded, Brady is walking, Sale out for the year and all the while we have Covid19...yes it’s been a pretty bad week  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, I detest the Sox now and expected them to be bad anyway, but this seems bad.

At the same time, it seems likely they're going to lose a big chunk of the season, maybe the entire season.  So perhaps this is just recognition of the fact that he might not play this year anyway.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
This a perfect year to have this done. We were not competing for Series this year and who knows if there will even be a season.

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Gee, didn't see this coming.

2020: The Year Boston Sports Self-Destructed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

So Betts is traded, Brady is walking, Sale out for the year and all the while we have Covid19...yes it’s been a pretty bad week  :angel:

and Smart just tested positive for Covid-19   :(