Author Topic: Disgusting that lifelong Knicks sells his allegiance.  (Read 3677 times)

Disgusting that lifelong Knicks sells his allegiance.
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:49:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24506646/disgruntled-new-york-knicks-fan-auctions-fanhood-3450

A disgruntled New York Knicks fan auctioned off his fanhood for $3,450 and will spend the coming season rooting for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Lifelong Knicks fan Evan Perlmutter, 33, put his NBA allegiance up for sale last week on eBay under an auction titled, "Infuriated New York Knicks fan has had enough, selling my fanhood."

James Riedel's winning bid was confirmed by an eBay spokesperson. 

I can not even fathom a true Celtic fan ever doing something so disgusting as to sell off his fanhood for any amount of money to become a fan of the Lakers. Now I know NYK's biggest rival is the Celtics and probably the Nets are in there too. But the Lakers have to be one of the Knicks biggest rivals.

How could any fan sell off their allegiance? It's baffling to me. I sat through 20 years of Celtic suckitude. I watched 30+ years of the Red Sox being awful. And I was 36 years old when the Patriots finally won a Superbowl. And waited another 39 years for the Bruins to finally return to prominence.

I would never, in all those years of bad sports, ever even contemplate selling off my fanhood for money. I thought New York fans were diehards. Obviously, some aren't and I find that to be just ridiculously pathetic.

Re: Disgusting that lifelong Knicks sells his allegiance.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I want to say I agree with your take here, Nick, but being a Knicks fan has to be about one of the most terrible experiences for a sports fan. James Dolan is the epitome of an incompetent sports owner, and possibly one of the most damaging to the quality of the team in any sport. But why should he care? His franchise is still the most valuable in the NBA, and one of the most highly valued sports franchises on the planet. But that just makes it worse if you are a fan, you know it isn't going to change.

I think I'd just stop watching, though. 

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:16:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Give me $3500 and I’ll watch some Lakers games. I’ll even wear a Magic or Kareem jersey. Nobody needs to know that my heart isn’t in it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 01:20:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Give me $3500 and I’ll watch some Lakers games. I’ll even wear a Magic or Kareem jersey. Nobody needs to know that my heart isn’t in it.
Booooooooooooooooooooooo! 😄

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 01:26:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I want to say I agree with your take here, Nick, but being a Knicks fan has to be about one of the most terrible experiences for a sports fan. James Dolan is the epitome of an incompetent sports owner, and possibly one of the most damaging to the quality of the team in any sport. But why should he care? His franchise is still the most valuable in the NBA, and one of the most highly valued sports franchises on the planet. But that just makes it worse if you are a fan, you know it isn't going to change.

You think being a Sox fan before 2004 or a Cubs fan before 2016 was worse than being a Knicks fan who won a title in 1973? I don't know. I don't think anyone could pay me enough money to let my boys see me turn on all the teams I taught them were awesome. I think they would disown me and never talk to me again.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 02:16:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
And you would still watch the Celtics. It not like they would be checking you out.
Unless...you really have those jerseys at home :)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 02:17:38 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Plot twist: he secretly hopes for the Knicks to win.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 02:25:25 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I was a Knicks fan as a kid and even I couldn’t stand how they were run after the ‘94 title run. I gave up following basketball around the time they gave Houston that huge contract. I didn’t come back until 2001 when I put on a random Knicks game accidentally and watched Paul Pierce thrash them.

I’m a native NYer and believe me, it’s tough to be a Knicks fan. I give them props for sticking with that franchise. I certainly couldn’t do it, and I wasn’t even a teenager yet lol.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This story is completely hilarious.  Sold his fan-soul for $3,450?  Bad deal!  Now if he got 10x that amount...THAT'S a story.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:54 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I really like the Celtics, but this is like someone offering you real money if you trade them your monopoly property.

My fandom is not an essential part of who I am. It's a fun hobby, but its not real life. It's a hobby I would be willing to change for real money.

I would have to think for a while if someone offered me $3,000 to change to another team for one year. That's good money that could help me and my family.

But I really like the Celtics, and it would be harder to sell it out in a year where we could win the championship.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
He probably will use the money to get a new 65" 4K tv to watch the Knicks. The story shouldn't be about the guy who bid his team allegiance, but the moron(s) who actually bid.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Can we please start up a crowd funding campaign with the requirement Roy take a picture and use it as his new avatars in a Lakers shirt (maybe AC Green?) While waving a Lakers banner.  Maybe dyed hair purple and gold.

Yup

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 09:00:35 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I don't think the strange part of the story is that somebody would sell their allegiance. I can understand that, even if I wouldn't do it myself.

No, the odd part of the article is that somebody actually bought it for over $3,000, even if they were doing it for the publicity. When you consider that Bart Simpson sold his soul for $5, and Homer sold his for a doughnut, Mr. Riedel clearly overpaid.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't think the strange part of the story is that somebody would sell their allegiance. I can understand that, even if I wouldn't do it myself.

No, the odd part of the article is that somebody actually bought it for over $3,000, even if they were doing it for the publicity. When you consider that Bart Simpson sold his soul for $5, and Homer sold his for a doughnut, Mr. Riedel clearly overpaid.

Mike

This is exactly how I feel.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

You think being a Sox fan before 2004 or a Cubs fan before 2016 was worse than being a Knicks fan who won a title in 1973? I don't know. I don't think anyone could pay me enough money to let my boys see me turn on all the teams I taught them were awesome. I think they would disown me and never talk to me again.
Despite not winning a world series before 2004 the Sox actually often were a competitive team and fun to root for. The Knicks are a dumpster fire and miserable to root for. It's not just that they haven't won the title, they have been horrible and the front office has done a terrible job for many years now. There is very little hope of things getting much better in the near future.