Author Topic: Ben Simmons is an MVP candidate  (Read 4206 times)

Re: Ben Simmons is an MVP candidate
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I find the camelo projections to mostly be a bunch of hogwash.  That said, I could totally see Simmons as a top 5 MVP finisher if Embiid misses a bunch of games and the Sixers win a bunch of games without Embiid, while Simmons puts up great stats (even then I don't think it is likely or will happen, but it is possible).  I can't see any realistic way for Simmons to win the award though. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:36:49 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Not going to click the link because I think these rankings are silly.

But I do think Simmons has MVP potential. He sees the game a step ahead of most guys and his combination of size and skill is incredibly rare. He had a great rookie year and got exposed against the Celtics. How he responds this season will be an important indicator of how the rest of his career will go.

He’s very talented and already a valuable player. For selfish reasons I hope he never develops a reliable jump shot. It’s hard, maybe impossible, to evaluate on tv but I did not see the cold-blooded killer mentality he’d need to reach the MVP level. To me, the MVP is almost always (among other things) the guy you would most want to have the ball with one possession left in the game. Possible someone in the top 2-3 guys if he is really unique in some other area.

I'm positive I heard the same criticism of Lebron and Kevin Durant when they were young. It's a thing that can develop.

I think there's a huge difference. LeBron and Durant believed in their ability and weren't afraid to fail. For them, it was only a matter of when, not if they would develop that killer instinct. Simmons seems like he's afraid at times at the end of games, to either shoot or get fouled and go to the free throw line. His overall talent is unquestionable, but he simply can't shoot. If you can't make shots, then it's almost impossible to develop a killer instinct.

Also, how is Kyrie a borderline all-star and Gordon Hayward a key role player?

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think it's foolish to think that he won't be in the conversation. He's reslly good, jump shot or not. He does a lot of things on the court and is already a solid defender. It's really not crazy to think he can improve. Either he does or not remains to be seen but he's basically an average jump shot away. Might take him a few years. We'll find out I guess.

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I expect him to be in the conversation for MVP.

I also expect his J to improve this season.

I also expect him (and Markelle) to struggle mightily versus BOS' vaunted defense, and lose in the regular season AND in the playoffs next season versus BOS.

Our backcourt alone - when healthy - will put theirs in a torture chamber.

Kyrie-JB-Scary Terry and Smart. PHI's back court will have their hands full and - while talented - will struggle against us.

Too much size, talent, grit, experience and toughness in those four Guards of ours.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Maybe.

Although he got worse, not better in the postseason. Actually outplayed by Rozier. That jumper is a real liability for him.

AD will probably win MVP

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Not going to click the link because I think these rankings are silly.

But I do think Simmons has MVP potential. He sees the game a step ahead of most guys and his combination of size and skill is incredibly rare. He had a great rookie year and got exposed against the Celtics. How he responds this season will be an important indicator of how the rest of his career will go.

He’s very talented and already a valuable player. For selfish reasons I hope he never develops a reliable jump shot. It’s hard, maybe impossible, to evaluate on tv but I did not see the cold-blooded killer mentality he’d need to reach the MVP level. To me, the MVP is almost always (among other things) the guy you would most want to have the ball with one possession left in the game. Possible someone in the top 2-3 guys if he is really unique in some other area.

I'm positive I heard the same criticism of Lebron and Kevin Durant when they were young. It's a thing that can develop.

I think there's a huge difference. LeBron and Durant believed in their ability and weren't afraid to fail. For them, it was only a matter of when, not if they would develop that killer instinct. Simmons seems like he's afraid at times at the end of games, to either shoot or get fouled and go to the free throw line. His overall talent is unquestionable, but he simply can't shoot. If you can't make shots, then it's almost impossible to develop a killer instinct.

Also, how is Kyrie a borderline all-star and Gordon Hayward a key role player?

1. There's a difference between being able to shoot and being able to make shots. Without being able to shoot at all, Simmons averaged 15.8 ppg on .545 FG%.

2. I don't see what shooting and having a killer instinct have in common. Does Marcus Smart not have the killer instinct? Did Dennis Rodman have the killer instinct when he was averaging 5 ppg for the Bulls?

3. The exact same thing was said of Lebron in his youth and while no one ever questioned Durant's willingness to shoot, very similar things were said about him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I remember the Celtics v Sixers playoff series last season, and being amazed by Simmons (but not in a good way). There were many times where I didn't even realize he was on the court. With that in mind, there were also times, where I didn't realize he was on the bench because I was used to him being so ineffective when he was actually playing. Am I the only person that had that issue? Also, there were times where he looked scared and didn't want the ball. Let's not forget, Tatum was a rookie too last season, and he had no issue under the spotlight of the playoffs.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Simmons should be able to eclipse the numbers Westbrook put up in his MVP season on better efficiency.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
No one really knows what will happen. Simmons is a good player though. I want the 6rs to be good, all of the players, I want our team to destroy the best. I don't like when there is room to question wins, no health or other issues for ready made excuses! It feels better to me when we have dogfights when we win! I'll take an easy chip, don't get me wrong, but I prefer watching hard fought battles. GSW walked to KDs first chip, that seemed so boring, the winning is great but I want the pins and needless experience.

Sorry for going off topic lol.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Simmons should be able to eclipse the numbers Westbrook put up in his MVP season on better efficiency.
Uhhhh....

Westbrook is the most athletic PG ever, has a good mid-range game and hits free throws. How do you suppose Simmons magically doubles his scoring output?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Uhhhh....

Westbrook is the most athletic PG ever, has a good mid-range game and hits free throws. How do you suppose Simmons magically doubles his scoring output?

I don't think he ever said he would.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Uhhhh....

I think he meant for Simmons to get to RWs 30 ppg
#JKJB

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 10:53:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Uhhhh....

I got the impression that because he used the word numbers he meant the triple double numbers that Westbrook that year.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 11:59:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Uhhhh....

Yep. Eclipsing the numbers of a guy who put up back-to-back triple double seasons would be pretty insane. Not sure how that happens
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 09:44:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Uhhhh....

Gotcha. My bad.