Author Topic: Zach Randolph  (Read 2223 times)

Zach Randolph
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I want the C's to get Zach Randolph. Sac has a glut of bigs and while Vince Carter and George Hill were freed, Randolph remains stuck there. He was effective in short bursts and probably could help Kings win a game or two this year. Would people want him on the C's? Will he get bought out?

Re: Zach Randolph
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
No spot for him here. Don’t see the fit either.

Guy had a nice career though, he’s running on fumes and don’t believe he can contribute to a contender.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
No spot for him here. Don’t see the fit either.

Guy had a nice career though, he’s running on fumes and don’t believe he can contribute to a contender.

This. 37 years old. I don't see how he contributes to this Celtics team at all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Horrible defense, no thanks.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Does he actually really suck or are these just hot takes. He averaged 14.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in just 25 minutes last year on 47% shooting and nearly hit 35% from 3. I would believe he has slipped on defense, even quite a bit, but he certainly wasn't horrible on defense earlier in his career. I think he brings a lot more to the table, even at his age, then Monroe did last year and people liked the idea of him a lot.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/5/2/17302950/sacramento-kings-player-grades-zach-randolph

There’s also a very real argument to be made that this version of Z-Bo is the worst defensive player in the entire league. Not only is his defensive rating at the bottom of the barrel; his field goal differential is also the worst in the pros. On average, opponents increased their field goal percentage from 48.3% all the way to 55% when guarded by Zach, a jump of 6.7%.

His lack of lateral quickness would explain a struggle on the perimeter, but his post defense was inexcusable as well. Among players who guarded at least 35% of their shots within six feet of the basket, he placed third to last, allowing his opponent to shoot 6.1% better than average. Randolph was the exact opposite of a rim protector.

Final Thoughts: My expectations for Zach Randolph were extremely low to start the season, but his performance was even worse than I imagined. He’s simply not the player he once was. His scoring ability has mostly left him. The rebounding has become average. He’s quite possibly the worst defensive player in the entire NBA. The numbers that he put up were the result of a coach who fell in love with who he used to be, not due to an actual impact on the court. As much as it pains me to say it, the Kings will be investing almost 12% of their cap space next season in a player who doesn’t deserve to be in the rotation, and who may no longer belong in the NBA.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/5/2/17302950/sacramento-kings-player-grades-zach-randolph

There’s also a very real argument to be made that this version of Z-Bo is the worst defensive player in the entire league. Not only is his defensive rating at the bottom of the barrel; his field goal differential is also the worst in the pros. On average, opponents increased their field goal percentage from 48.3% all the way to 55% when guarded by Zach, a jump of 6.7%.

His lack of lateral quickness would explain a struggle on the perimeter, but his post defense was inexcusable as well. Among players who guarded at least 35% of their shots within six feet of the basket, he placed third to last, allowing his opponent to shoot 6.1% better than average. Randolph was the exact opposite of a rim protector.

Final Thoughts: My expectations for Zach Randolph were extremely low to start the season, but his performance was even worse than I imagined. He’s simply not the player he once was. His scoring ability has mostly left him. The rebounding has become average. He’s quite possibly the worst defensive player in the entire NBA. The numbers that he put up were the result of a coach who fell in love with who he used to be, not due to an actual impact on the court. As much as it pains me to say it, the Kings will be investing almost 12% of their cap space next season in a player who doesn’t deserve to be in the rotation, and who may no longer belong in the NBA.

Thanks for sharing, good stuff. I think some of that may be that he was playing on a team that was trying to lose game and a bit of a disaster, but maybe he just doesn't care at all. If he came here it would be on a minimum contract and he would be coming for a limited role. He would not play with horrible defensive effort. I can understand why you wouldn't be enamored though...

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Basketball is for young people. Zach is old.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:20:00 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
His D is better than Monroe
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 01:20:54 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Yeah I'd take Z-Bo if this was 2011.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 01:40:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His D is better than Monroe
No it isn't
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
No

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Thanks for sharing, good stuff. I think some of that may be that he was playing on a team that was trying to lose game and a bit of a disaster, but maybe he just doesn't care at all. If he came here it would be on a minimum contract and he would be coming for a limited role. He would not play with horrible defensive effort. I can understand why you wouldn't be enamored though...
What limited role would he be playing?  Who is he going to be useful against in the playoffs?  I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be thinking CBS needs to bring in ZBo over our other 4/5s on the roster. 

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What limited role would he be playing?  Who is he going to be useful against in the playoffs?  I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be thinking CBS needs to bring in ZBo over our other 4/5s on the roster.

Off the bench offense. We are talking about like an 11th man role here though so not really worth getting into a hill I want to die on. I'll be honest I didn't realize how bad his defense was last year cause kings were one of the teams I watched the least.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
maybe 8 y ars ago