Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47330 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Brady
Cooks
Lewis
Gronkowski
Edelman
Mitchell
Allen
Hogan
solid-good O-line

Brady taking aim at Manning's 55 TD record?
Records? Records don't make one great.  Records. Statistics. Awards. Patriots care not about such things.

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2017, 03:41:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Brady
Cooks
Lewis
Gronkowski
Edelman
Mitchell
Allen
Hogan
solid-good O-line

Brady taking aim at Manning's 55 TD record?
Records? Records don't make one great.  Records. Statistics. Awards. Patriots care not about such things.

They just happen to get a lot of them in the course of all the winning they do. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So apparently Bennett's contract is three years, $21 million, $6.3 million signing bonus, $7.2 million guaranteed. Seems very affordable, I wonder why we wouldn't match. The whole situation is very bizarre, given that he refused an extension that would have paid him $7 million per during the season...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
So apparently Bennett's contract is three years, $21 million, $6.3 million signing bonus, $7.2 million guaranteed. Seems very affordable, I wonder why we wouldn't match. The whole situation is very bizarre, given that he refused an extension that would have paid him $7 million per during the season...

The only thing I can think of is that he just crossed 30, and the theme of this offseason seems to be "getting younger."

Mike

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Does anyone know if Jimmy G is going to be traded?

It is such a precarious situation for the Pats, you have the GOAT as your QB but who knows how long he has left in him...then you have someone who could be a great replacement but you can't give him any guarantees when the starting spot will be his.

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It is such a precarious situation for the Pats, you have the GOAT as your QB but who knows how long he has left in him...then you have someone who could be a great replacement but you can't give him any guarantees when the starting spot will be his.

Is this the last year of his contract?

I think they almost have to trade him, because Brady isn't likely to retire in the next year and it's simply not viable to pay a backup $18 million per year. If Cleveland is really offering the #12 plus other assets, they need to do it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I think they almost have to trade him, because Brady isn't likely to retire in the next year and it's simply not viable to pay a backup $18 million per year. If Cleveland is really offering the #12 plus other assets, they need to do it.

I think it's a dilemma, mitigated by the strength of the offer made for JG and also perhaps mitigated (or not) by their opinion of Jacoby Brissett or their belief in who they can pick up as a back-up QB or in the draft. 

I think it's important to consider the implications of the all-in approach they seem to be taking this off-season.   It may be an indicator of preparing for an appropriate "last hurrah" for Brady, but it also seems antithetical to build a team capable of winning it all and then going weak on the very important position of back-up QB.   I don't think BB will want to strengthen receivers, defensive backs, D-line, etc, and then leave the entire team vulnerable to a Brady injury when they have a viable back-up who can easily be retained for another year and then franchised next season to assure not losing him for nothing.

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I think it's a dilemma, mitigated by the strength of the offer made for JG and also perhaps mitigated (or not) by their opinion of Jacoby Brissett or their belief in who they can pick up as a back-up QB or in the draft. 

I think it's important to consider the implications of the all-in approach they seem to be taking this off-season.   It may be an indicator of preparing for an appropriate "last hurrah" for Brady, but it also seems antithetical to build a team capable of winning it all and then going weak on the very important position of back-up QB.   I don't think BB will want to strengthen receivers, defensive backs, D-line, etc, and then leave the entire team vulnerable to a Brady injury when they have a viable back-up who can easily be retained for another year and then franchised next season to assure not losing him for nothing.

That's my thought as well. They have totally gone all-in for next season, I don't see them leaving themselves without a solid backup QB, so unless they are sure of having one after moving Garopolo, then I don't see them moving him.

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Adam Schecter of ESPN has good connections with Pats front office and says he absolutely will not be traded.

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Any NFL capologists out there? Are the Pats sacrificing long term at all? Seems like BB wants to make another run at 19-0
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Any NFL capologists out there? Are the Pats sacrificing long term at all? Seems like BB wants to make another run at 19-0
Just a guess, but Belechick probablt thinks he is making a run at 19-0 every year.

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

If you are a pats fan, @patscap on twitter is a must follow. He is very good, gets a lot of mike reiss shout outs, etc. Miguel is his name.

Recent tweet:

@Mart_78
As of today, would you say they are in good shape for 2018, cap wise? Or will it be tight with some tough decisions?

@patscap
The champs are currently in great shape for 2018 season. Be surprised if I change my view anytime soon.Cap Space=36,189,288 added,

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Patriots are set up VERY well for the future.

Even when TB12 retires, they are getting a lot younger.

Also with future extensions and potential restructures, the Pats can easily continue having a lot of cap space.

As of now they have around 35M if I'm not mistaken.

Plus they usually structure contracts so cap hits the first few years aren't that big, so when the player reaches the later part of it they either re-structure or are traded/released, because they may also be reaching a higher age and may be starting to go past their prime.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The only thing I can think of is that he just crossed 30, and the theme of this offseason seems to be "getting younger.".
Could be. Also the contract seemed backloaded, which means he'd be occupying a hefty guaranteed cap slot when he's 33.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2017, 08:49:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Safe to say the Pats have taken the Bills crown of "winning the offseason" this year?  ;D
Yup