Poll

How do you follow the Celtics?

Watch every game and then the highlights on youtube/sportscenter/twitter/etc.
Watch only the highlights on youtube/sportscenter/twitter/etc.
Watch more than half the games and then the highlights from the games I miss
Watch less then half the games and then the highlights from the games I miss
I don't get to watch every game or highlights for every game, but do for most.
I don't get to watch every game or highlights for every game, but do for less than half.

Author Topic: How Do CelticsStrong Users Keep Up with the Team?  (Read 2816 times)

How Do CelticsStrong Users Keep Up with the Team?
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think the NBA fandom is changing. More and more fans follow the league through highlights and box scores, not the watching the whole game. They see Twitter highlights and watch youtube 10-minute highlights of the game, but they don't sit through the 2.5 hours.

This is happening at large, but I was curious about the sub-culture of the Celtic blog. As a result, I decided to make this anonymous poll. The whole "do you even watch the game" might or might not be a legitimate question. My point isn't to give ammo. My point is to understand how Celtic fans on this blog perceive their team through the lens of their chosen media.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:53:58 AM by nickagneta »

Re: How Do Celtics Blog Users Keep Up with the Team?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I try to watch every game whenever possible (I'm half a day ahead of EST, so watching some games just isn't feasible) and go to a full game replay site if I missed a game that was entertaining (eg. Celtics vs Clippers/Raptors/Bucks this season). I do like looking at box scores, but I don't use it to evaluate a player's overall impact by itself.

Btw please add "watch more than half the games and highlights of every game" as an option.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I watch every game and go to 10 games a year with my 10 game ticket package.

Only time I might miss a game is when they're playing late on a work night.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I watch as many Celtics games as I can (at least half?).  I almost never watch team highlights, but I do watch individual player highlights of the players (league-wide) I like to follow.  I usually read game recaps of the Celtics games I miss.

Podcasts are the absolute worst, though.  The contributors out there fancy themselves as knowledgeable but don't know squat, they just speak well and are personable.  Very few, probably less than a handful, actually have a clue what they are talking about.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I have an FBI investigation style board where I pin everyone's hot takes and trade ideas and connect them together with yarn. At the middle of the board is an ambiguous face with a giant question mark. I think it's a Center or a PF but I'm not sure yet.

Re: How Do CelticsStrong Users Keep Up with the Team?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:05:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I watch virtually every game, but because it usually overlaps with my evening work/kid's bedtime it's often on DVR or League Pass replays. Which is fine with me, it forces me off social media for a while and I get to skip the commercials.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I haven't missed watching a game for several years. League Pass Member.  Worth every penny.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I have an FBI investigation style board where I pin everyone's hot takes and trade ideas and connect them together with yarn. At the middle of the board is an ambiguous face with a giant question mark. I think it's a Center or a PF but I'm not sure yet.

Too much information.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 01:44:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
actually none of the options.

I watch almost all the games even if I have to DVR them.  only ones I miss are the ones exclusively on ESPN since my cable package doesn't include that channel.

I don't watch any sports news shows that show the highlight clips.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I watch every game - probably 80% live and the rest on DVR (usually the ones with weird times). If the game is a loss I will usually watch it a couple of times to see why we lost. A handful of games (about 10) I will watch live if I can twist a friend's arm to come with me. I read a variety of material online (ESPN, The Athletic, The Ringer, CelticsStrong, CelticsBlog, CelticsWire, RealGM, Reddit), look at the stats on Basketball-Reference and NBA.com and watch PreGame/PostGame on NBC Sports Boston.  Yes I'm obsessed  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I pretty much watch the whole game for every game, though some times I'm multi-tasking and not really paying attention (work, playing on my phone, etc.), but the game is on (overall I'm paying attention more often than I'm not).

Even though I just watched the whole game, I always look up the box score after the game, to see how everybody did on paper, and see if anything slipped past the ol' eye test.

Usually poke around online afterwards (here and both r/nba and r/bostonceltics over on reddit), see what people are saying, get the key quotes from the post game interviews, etc.

I eat my breakfast at my work desk, and while doing so will usually check to see what's trending Celtics related (here and reddit), follow up any of the juicier quotes/highlights to see how people are reacting and may watch some of the individual highlight reels for the past game that reddit user Timi093 puts together.

Then when I want to distract myself from work, I come here and argue about Centers, Moses Malone, random people's Hall of Fame credentials, etc.  Spend a lot of time checking random stats at basketball-reference (usually in relation to some argument here).  See if any Celtics news is trending, or any new quotes/tidbits came out of practice, etc.

So in summary, I watch just about every game, and check online several times a day for Celtics related news/discussion.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:31:16 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I do not have league pass, so I generally watch all of the national tv games or the local game when they play the Cavs and pick up highlights of the other ones.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 02:20:14 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I pretty much watch the whole game for every game, though some times I'm multi-tasking and not really paying attention (work, playing on my phone, etc.), but the game is on (overall I'm paying attention more often than I'm not).

Even though I just watched the whole game, I always look up the box score after the game, to see how everybody did on paper, and see if anything slipped past the ol' eye test.

Usually poke around online afterwards (here and both r/nba and r/bostonceltics over on reddit), see what people are saying, get the key quotes from the post game interviews, etc.

I eat my breakfast at my work desk, and while doing so will usually check to see what's trending Celtics related (here and reddit), follow up any of the juicier quotes/highlights to see how people are reacting and may watch some of the individual highlight reels for the past game that reddit user Timi093 puts together.

Then when I want to distract myself from work, I come here and argue about Centers, Moses Malone, random people's Hall of Fame credentials, etc.  Spend a lot of time checking random stats at basketball-reference (usually in relation to some argument here).  See if any Celtics news is trending, or any new quotes/tidbits came out of practice, etc.

So in summary, I watched just about every game, and check online several times a day for Celtics related news/discussion.
LOL TP.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
actually none of the options.

I watch almost all the games even if I have to DVR them.  only ones I miss are the ones exclusively on ESPN since my cable package doesn't include that channel.

I don't watch any sports news shows that show the highlight clips.

Yeah, me, too. I kept looking down the list for my option, but it wasn't there. I guess we are supposed to be option 1.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »

Offline 8OH8

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
If they aren't playing on the West Coast, games start around 230pm HST, while I'm still at work. I've still managed to watch every game on my phone for the past few years, if I'm not at home. ( no sound, and probably a whole bunch of viruses ) :)