Author Topic: Does a cancelled season assure a Hayward return? Apparently yes. Page 3.  (Read 8595 times)

Re: Does a cancelled season assure a Hayward return?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

#unfinishedbusiness

And For the record - glad dude did something with his hair, LOL......

Love ya, GH. Please stay.

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
At this point it would make sense for him to pick his option and sign an extension at 60% his 2020 salary

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 02:25:15 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion. Hayward has played well enough this year to earn a good contract. And with the emergence of Tatum (and fine, Brown), I don’t see Boston as that appealing of a destination for him to showcase his talent. To win? Yes. But there are other teams where he can contribute even more while still getting his payday.
If Hayward opts out, due to a lower salary cap, lower max contract values and only terrible teams having cap space, Boston is going to be the only place where he can max out his money and have the best chance of winning for specifically next year. That's why I think it's a sure thing he stays.

After what happened with Horford, I’m more wary of tagging things concerning player movements as “sure things”. Both from free agency and from front offices (IT4).
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 10:10:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-execs-expect-gordon-hayward-opt-34-million-celtics-contract%3famp

At least one NBA exec expects Gordon to opt in

According to Heavy.com, NBA executives expect Hayward to exercise his $34 million player option.

'It’s too much money to pass up,' one general manager told Heavy.com. 'He could get a longer deal if that is what he really wants. But I don’t think the Celtics want to give it to him, they have a lot of young guys to pay and the starting (salary) number on whatever the contract is will not be close to $34 million. He can opt in this year and then take a big contract next year. When you look at what he has done since his injury, he has only gotten better. He could get better next year and be ready for the summer of 2021.' 

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-execs-expect-gordon-hayward-opt-34-million-celtics-contract%3famp

According to Heavy.com, NBA executives expect Hayward to exercise his $34 million player option.

'It’s too much money to pass up,' one general manager told Heavy.com. 'He could get a longer deal if that is what he really wants. But I don’t think the Celtics want to give it to him, they have a lot of young guys to pay and the starting (salary) number on whatever the contract is will not be close to $34 million. He can opt in this year and then take a big contract next year. When you look at what he has done since his injury, he has only gotten better. He could get better next year and be ready for the summer of 2021.' 

That seems extremely speculative. While it may make sense for Gordon to opt in - unless there is a one year grace period on the luxury tax - it does not make sense for the Cs to have him do so. The Cs need to do everything they can to stay under for one more season or attempting to re-start the clock this season will have all been for not.

If Hayward does opt in, I do wonder if the Cs will attempt to trade him to another team with some cap space for a player making, say, $20M/yr or so. I understand this is extremely difficult to do, but that $34M number this season could have major repercussions on what Wyc and co will spend in future seasons when the Jays are in their primes. It shouldn't be assumed that ownership will spend an unlimited amount of money and keeping Hayward for one more year just might not be worth it.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
 ;D. ...Silver should give all the teams extra 30 million cap,space to make the season more interesting .   LOL

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

#unfinishedbusiness

Glad he "did something with his hair" ??   As in make himself look like a carnival clown ?

He could have changed from the 8th grade look he had in college without looking like a Boy-Band member.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 03:10:00 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

#unfinishedbusiness

Glad he "did something with his hair" ??   As in make himself look like a carnival clown ?

He could have changed from the 8th grade look he had in college without looking like a Boy-Band member.

He looks better right now.

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

That seems extremely speculative. While it may make sense for Gordon to opt in - unless there is a one year grace period on the luxury tax - it does not make sense for the Cs to have him do so. The Cs need to do everything they can to stay under for one more season or attempting to re-start the clock this season will have all been for not.

If Hayward does opt in, I do wonder if the Cs will attempt to trade him to another team with some cap space for a player making, say, $20M/yr or so. I understand this is extremely difficult to do, but that $34M number this season could have major repercussions on what Wyc and co will spend in future seasons when the Jays are in their primes. It shouldn't be assumed that ownership will spend an unlimited amount of money and keeping Hayward for one more year just might not be worth it.

I'm not sure why the presumption would be that the front office and the player would have the same goals in this instance.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm not sure why the presumption would be that the front office and the player would have the same goals in this instance.

I don't think Hayward cares at all about whether or not it makes sense for the Cs payroll. That doesn't mean the front office shouldn't try to do what they think is best for the team and their future based on Gordon's decision.

I still don't know why the two sides couldn't try to come together on like a 4yr/$100M contract. This would make it much more possible for the team to get under that threshold (hopefully the league doesn't lower the tax #) and Hayward would have some long term stability.

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Counterpoint: Is it easier for the C's to deal with Hayward on a 25 mil per year contract when he's 34 or 35? Easier trade bait, sure, but not nearly as exciting as 31m of expiring salary when you're looking to deal.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
RockinRyA - Your pronouncement - as always - is final !!!! Congratulations on having the only opinion that matters.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
RockinRyA - Your pronouncement - as always - is final !!!! Congratulations on having the only opinion that matters.
I think when it comes to his hair only one opinion does matter - Gordy’s
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think when it comes to his hair only one opinion does matter - Gordy’s

Yup.  The Abe Simpson throws fist towards cloud meme comes to mind.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I merely stated my opinion. You meanwhile not only stated yours, you accompanied them with insults.