Author Topic: Top Ten Defensive Players  (Read 8319 times)

Re: Top Ten Defensive Players
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
if stealer's aren't great defenders in your book, i find it hard to defend rondo at number 4 and no pierce, perhaps one of the most underrated SF's at taking charges in the league.....

I was gonna say the same thing.  At this point in his carreer, Rondo is still more of a "big play defender" rather than a "lock down defender".  To me, that doesn't put him in the top 10.

I am surprised no one has listed Deron Williams.  He is one of the most solid PG defenders out there.

Then you guys have no idea how important Rajon is in our defensive system. Is quickness, harassment and defensive abilities enable him to stay in front of his man and more often than not be a pest for the opposition point guard...
I might be biased in my ranking as a Celtics fan but telling me that rondo isn't a very good defender is unbelievable! Especially from Celtics fans ! KG is the master piece of our D but without Rondo and Perkins the defensive excellence we reached this year would have only been a dream!
Baron Davis and Chris Paul are gamblers who get more steals than Rondo but are 10 times less efficient than Rondo defensively speaking...
Dont remember if it was coming from KG or Doc but one of them said that sometimes just having Rondo pressure the ball handler after timeouts made teams go away from the offensive plan they just prepared before...
That's says a lot to me!
Moreover, what I meant but penalizing stealers and shoot blockers was targeting the one who gambled about it... KG is a great shoot blocker but still is (or should be) everyone's number 1 in this list... So Rondo having some steals in his stats should not deprive him from being one of the most efficient defenders in this league THIS YEAR !!
And please, let's all forget about words like "at this point of his career" or "no playoffs experience" or "too young.." Either you know how to ball or you don't !!!
Rondo knows how to ball and especially defend... no matter the number of years he has under his belt...

no one said he wasn't a very good defender. The person who made the top ten list put him 4th out of everyone in the NBA. I think thats too high, especially when the person then went on to say stealer's are overated, and doesn't put pierce on his list. The discussion was about that, not an attack on rondo's defense in any way, its been spectacular.

think you took the posts a bit out of context, i think we all understand what rondo brings to this team  :)

Gotcha
I got to say I was a little bit concerned by the two comments I was quoting... :-)
I will still pick Rondo ahead of Pierce in a defensive ranking... And still think that stealers and shoot blockers who gamble to "inflate" their stats are bad defenders... ;-)

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
if stealer's aren't great defenders in your book, i find it hard to defend rondo at number 4 and no pierce, perhaps one of the most underrated SF's at taking charges in the league.....

I was gonna say the same thing.  At this point in his carreer, Rondo is still more of a "big play defender" rather than a "lock down defender".  To me, that doesn't put him in the top 10.

I am surprised no one has listed Deron Williams.  He is one of the most solid PG defenders out there.

Then you guys have no idea how important Rajon is in our defensive system. Is quickness, harassment and defensive abilities enable him to stay in front of his man and more often than not be a pest for the opposition point guard...
I might be biased in my ranking as a Celtics fan but telling me that rondo isn't a very good defender is unbelievable! Especially from Celtics fans ! KG is the master piece of our D but without Rondo and Perkins the defensive excellence we reached this year would have only been a dream!
Baron Davis and Chris Paul are gamblers who get more steals than Rondo but are 10 times less efficient than Rondo defensively speaking...
Dont remember if it was coming from KG or Doc but one of them said that sometimes just having Rondo pressure the ball handler after timeouts made teams go away from the offensive plan they just prepared before...
That's says a lot to me!
Moreover, what I meant but penalizing stealers and shoot blockers was targeting the one who gambled about it... KG is a great shoot blocker but still is (or should be) everyone's number 1 in this list... So Rondo having some steals in his stats should not deprive him from being one of the most efficient defenders in this league THIS YEAR !!
And please, let's all forget about words like "at this point of his career" or "no playoffs experience" or "too young.." Either you know how to ball or you don't !!!
Rondo knows how to ball and especially defend... no matter the number of years he has under his belt...

no one said he wasn't a very good defender. The person who made the top ten list put him 4th out of everyone in the NBA. I think thats too high, especially when the person then went on to say stealer's are overated, and doesn't put pierce on his list. The discussion was about that, not an attack on rondo's defense in any way, its been spectacular.

think you took the posts a bit out of context, i think we all understand what rondo brings to this team  :)

Gotcha
I got to say I was a little bit concerned by the two comments I was quoting... :-)
I will still pick Rondo ahead of Pierce in a defensive ranking... And still think that stealers and shoot blockers who gamble to "inflate" their stats are bad defenders... ;-)

Believe me, I am as big a Rondo fan as there is, but I just think that he is still learning.  He still gets beat way too much (although he has improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the season), and gets caught gambling.  He also has lapses, that top 10 defenders do not have. 

I 100% think that within a couple of years, Rondo will be at the top of this list...I just think he hasn't made it there yet.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm a huge fan of the kid, but Rondo's got a ways to go, and although all players have lapses, no matter how good they are, and, (hopefully), even the best are still learning, I wouldn't put him in the top ten, and would definitely not put him ahead of Pierce.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd put Posey in there over Rondo (and a bunch of other player).  Not only is a great natural defender, his hustle is second-to-none.  Also, what really sets him apart from others on the list is his versatility.  He can guard everyone from point guards to power forwards. 

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Two guys who are both excellent on D and haven't been mentioned; Quinton Ross and Trenton Hassell