Author Topic: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie  (Read 4539 times)

Re: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Danny ainge did not want to break team chemistry with a trade-think about that act of faith

Ainge will do whatever it takes to make the team better, regardless of who he has to trade.

Act of faith? Not exactly. More like he didn't get the return he wanted.

I don't know why both can't be true.
Because of evidence.

Oh, evidence. Right, my bad. Forgot about that. That pesky evidence.

Seriously, I don't see your point. Or, really: why couldn't the Celtics both be looking to preserve team chemistry and not do a deal that didn't get them the return they wanted? Surely that doesn't seem odd?

Now, is your understanding, perhaps, that Rollie's "faith" means "believes that this team is a contender"? - but Ainge has made crystal clear that he thinks it would be a "miracle" - that's his word - if this team won a championship. Anyway I didn't take Rollie to mean that.

It wouldn't have been hard to add DeMarcus Cousins at the deadline this season.  Vlade would likely not have forgotten what Boston has to offer, so he was (you can bet on it) calling Danny early and often. And if the Celtics' Brass discounted the ample evidence that Boogie is a coach-killer and a locker room cancer and can be counted on to spoil the chemistry of any group of people he gets in the middle of, they could have had him for a song and a cigar and a fare thee well, which is what New Orleans got him for, god help them.

I could go on, but the point is made.

Cousins was traded for Hield, who their owner think will be a Steph Curry like player, and a likely top 10 pick this season. Plus, it allowed them to give more playing time to Skal and Cauley-Stein. So saying that the return was marginal isn't accurate.

Ainge not moving assets was not an act of faith. He was simply not able to get a deal he liked.
So is this the act of faith from Ainge you're referring to?

“I believe the extra-ordinary is possible. But I do not look at our team as a title contender,” Ainge said on 98.5 the Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich show. “But like I always say, it’s important what they think. I hope that they believe differently.”

Great quote from Ainge - exactly. We are definitely not talking about Ainge having "faith" that his guys can win a championship, as in "belief".  "Faith" can also mean "staying true", "sticking with" - and that's how I took Rollie's use of the word. If you read the rest of Rollie's post, you can see the context, which couldn't be clearer: Danny Ainge likes his guys and their chemistry.  There's no reason at all why that couldn't be true, why he couldn't stick with them through the playoffs - AND also look to improve the team once the draft and trade options open up again.

About Hield: Ranadive may think that he's "the next Stephen Curry", but do you? I don't, especially after his rookie performance, but more importantly the league doesn't.  You might remember that Ranadive loved Stauskas, too. Perhaps he should leave basketball to the professionals.

Stauskas, having recovered from the shell-shock of Boogie's locker room, has glimmerings of being an NBA-caliber player.  But does anyone think that he'll ever be one of the top players?

Re: jaylen and being a Celtic rookie
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
ainge not only didn't trade  for a big name or a stop gap,
 he even passed everyone from waivers
he probably thought a minor upgrade wouldn't increase odds of beating the cavs and had faith enough that the team chemistry would bring it further than the addition of marginal or a rental player
that chemistry, i was talking about showed when isaiah needed it and when we were down 2-0 against bulls or when green played 3 straight good games
it's not what ainge thinks,
 "its what the team thinks" and danny likes the fight in the dog
next year the face of the team will be so different,zizic yabusele,nader and a first round pick
 this is what i mean by being forged by the experience of a winning team with chemistry

even for marcus and kelly, it has already been priceless
without that chemistry that rescued the celts

the celts overcame a further two big first quarter deficits with its 2nd team
last nights game was deflationary  and almost expected after 6 straight wins,  isaiahs surgery
i knew when he was missing foul shots, he wasn't right
,marcus with 8 turnovers and he wasn't right-it happens