Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 220940 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The discussion should be whether or not Mazzulla deserves Coach of the Year this year.  He won't get it, voters will factor in how good the Celtics personnel is, and downgrade the contribution of the coach.  But where should Joe rank, top 5?  Top 3?

As of today he absolutely should win coach of the year. It’s not reasonably debatable.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384
The discussion should be whether or not Mazzulla deserves Coach of the Year this year.  He won't get it, voters will factor in how good the Celtics personnel is, and downgrade the contribution of the coach.  But where should Joe rank, top 5?  Top 3?

As of today he absolutely should win coach of the year. It’s not reasonably debatable.

But...but what about the team always chucking threes, and not calling timeouts, and his arguing with Washburn in pressers and the fact that he has a funny looking head?  ???

And don't forget we lost to the Fakers without LeBum and AD...surely that disqualifies him?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Having to regularly volley with Gary Washburn sounds like a pretty awful part of any job, if we're being honest.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

But...but what about the team always chucking threes, and not calling timeouts, and his arguing with Washburn in pressers and the fact that he has a funny looking head?  ???

And don't forget we lost to the Fakers without LeBum and AD...surely that disqualifies him?

On the Hollinger and Duncan Pod, they put Mazzulla in the 3rd tier of coaches.  They were generally positive but I find it funny how commentators downplay Tatum, Brown, White, KP as MVP/All-NBA/All-Stars respectively, but then also dismiss the coaching.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

On the Hollinger and Duncan Pod, they put Mazzulla in the 3rd tier of coaches.  They were generally positive but I find it funny how commentators downplay Tatum, Brown, White, KP as MVP/All-NBA/All-Stars respectively, but then also dismiss the coaching.

How many tiers were there?

Is 3rd tier good? Average? Below average?

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
i'd buy the 'Joe was terrible in the playoffs last year' argument if the team hadn't fallen to the same exact tendencies we had seen under Brad and under Ime at different times in the playoffs. those other coaches had more support at the time, including by their coaching staff, than Joe did.

when i hear Mazzulla criticism, it often follows an assumption that he is a bad coach and then it becomes easy, crystal clear even, to confirm that as true. tough for me to take confirmation bias as evidence.

the guy was certainly in a tough position last year and was almost destined to be better in his second and third years of coaching (see Brad and Spoelstra for other young head coach examples). even if his coaching was particularly to blame last year, it is nonsensical to use his first year to inform opinions about this year when the evidence of those weaknesses is relatively lacking to this point. he'll be a liability when he becomes one. until then, there's no reason to focus on the coaching staff as a weakness because it is based on presupposition.

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623
i'd buy the 'Joe was terrible in the playoffs last year' argument if the team hadn't fallen to the same exact tendencies we had seen under Brad and under Ime at different times in the playoffs. those other coaches had more support at the time, including by their coaching staff, than Joe did.

when i hear Mazzulla criticism, it often follows an assumption that he is a bad coach and then it becomes easy, crystal clear even, to confirm that as true. tough for me to take confirmation bias as evidence.

the guy was certainly in a tough position last year and was almost destined to be better in his second and third years of coaching (see Brad  Dand Spoelstra for other young head coach examples). even if his coaching was particularly to blame last year, it is nonsensical to use his first year to inform opinions about this year when the evidence of those weaknesses is relatively lacking to this point. he'll be a liability when he becomes one. until then, there's no reason to focus on the coaching staff as a weakness because it is based on presupposition.

The Gift of reason   ;D

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

How many tiers were there?

Is 3rd tier good? Average? Below average?
I think there were at least 4.  I stopped listening after awhile. Nate Duncan's commentary can drone.  I like Hollinger though.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Vegas odds have Mazzula a distant 3rd right now, Daigneault  the overwhelming favorite.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384
Gettin cashiered in the morning  >:(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 175
I take it back.
FIRE JOE!!!
Going to choke in the playoffs.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2955
Annnnddddd add another loss to Joe's impressive resume of late-game collapses because he sits on the sidelines with his hands in his pockets. Of course he's not solely responsible, but this is yet another major end game failure for him where he should've done more to put his players in position to succeed instead of doing nothing.

Ended the game with two remaining timeouts, yet he calls a timeout a half dozen possessions too late allowing the Cavs to get back in the game and build momentum. But the more egregious one is him not calling a timeout and letting Tatum - who was 1-11 in the second half, mind you - do his awful late-game iso jumpback shot that of course killed us.

Dude never learns, and he's an absolute handicap in end-game situations due to his dogmatic ways. Hard to feel confident about this team winning it all with such a handicap in tight, end-game situations.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Is there anyone who has faith in Joe during these situations? If so, can you point to examples where they worked? Record be [dang]d, what is he doing to win 1 possession games.at the end whe we are down.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25615
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
According to Washburn, not a single one of Wade's three-pointers was contested.

A question for Joe's defenders: when a guy is white hot like that, does it make sense to cover him?  Or is the "no adjustments" strategy the best one?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2955
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/03/joe-mazzulla-tried-to-call-timeout-before-tough-ending-in-cavaliers-loss.html

“We gotta go faster there,” Mazzulla said. “I thought D-White got the matchup we wanted into it. We just gotta play a little bit faster. Down one in that situation, you try to get a couple more possessions. We just gotta get into it faster, go faster and try to extend the game.”

Yeah, you know how you make sure your guys have a good idea to know what action to run and when to time it? Call a dang timeout and make sure we get a better, more timely look there. Ridiculous that this guy has not learned this by now, particularly with this group that has demonstrated a lack of ability to generate consistently good looks for themselves in those situations. I'm pretty sure that almost half (Minny, Charlotte, Golden State, Indy, Denver) of our losses this year have been contributed in some way by Joe refusing to call a timeout in these situations and/or just allowing for a Tatum iso leading to questionable clutch/end-game shot scenarios.

Do your job and put your team in better positions to succeed, Joe!