Author Topic: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green  (Read 22065 times)

Re: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mxabpr7

3 way trade with Green and Gerald Wallace to Houston, Ariza to Memphis, Boston gets Jordan Adams (and the expiring contracts of Terry and Prince)

Why for Houston?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This is apropos of not much discussed in this thread, but if we don't get at least a future 1st for Green, I'd keep him purely to spite the team that wants him, and Green.

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

3 way trade with Green and Gerald Wallace to Houston, Ariza to Memphis, Boston gets Jordan Adams (and the expiring contracts of Terry and Prince)

Why for Houston?

Green is better than Ariza

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-trades-are-in-the-air/

The Grizz Are In

The Memphis Grizzlies are not looking at anything that would be destructive to their chemistry, but if they could pry loose a wing player for one of their spare roster parts they seem open to it, even if it means taking on a long-term salary.

Word is the Grizzlies have been at the Miami HEAT regarding Luol Deng and have logged some interest in Boston’s Jeff Green.

The Grizzlies are sitting on the $7.7 million expiring contract of Tayshaun Prince and young guys like first rounder Jordan Adams and second rounder Jarnell Stokes.

The Grizz are not really looking to part with much, rather hoping that one of the teams with a solid wing with cap money owed would be open to dumping the salary.

Green is owed $9.2 million this year and has a player options for $9.2 million next year, while Deng is owed $9.71 million this year and has a player option for $10.15 million next year. Either player in exchange for Prince works straight up under the cap and would represent an immediate costs savings if nothing else.

The HEAT were very high on Stokes in the draft process and it was believed that Miami would have scooped him up had they not been able to acquire Shabazz Napier, which they ultimately did in a draft night trade with Charlotte.

Without including something of real value it seems unlikely that someone gives the Grizzlies the missing piece, but they are in the marketplace sniffing around, they just may not have enough on the table to really get a deal done.

====

As for myself, a salary dump doesn't appeal to me for Green.

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW:

https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt

"Grizzlies have long been interested in Celtics forward Jeff Green, but Danny Ainge has a high asking price, I've been told."

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why for Houston?

Green is better than Ariza

For what Houston needs, I think that Ariza fits better.  They're certainly not taking back Wallace.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:28:01 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't think this is a bad deal at all.  I wanted a pick or better prospect for Green but this allows us to unload Wallace while getting a mediocre prospect.  I really don't want Prince or JET but to clear Wallace's deal I could live with this. 

« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
FWIW:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-trades-are-in-the-air/

The Grizz Are In

The Memphis Grizzlies are not looking at anything that would be destructive to their chemistry, but if they could pry loose a wing player for one of their spare roster parts they seem open to it, even if it means taking on a long-term salary.

Word is the Grizzlies have been at the Miami HEAT regarding Luol Deng and have logged some interest in Boston?€™s Jeff Green.

The Grizzlies are sitting on the $7.7 million expiring contract of Tayshaun Prince and young guys like first rounder Jordan Adams and second rounder Jarnell Stokes.

The Grizz are not really looking to part with much, rather hoping that one of the teams with a solid wing with cap money owed would be open to dumping the salary.

Green is owed $9.2 million this year and has a player options for $9.2 million next year, while Deng is owed $9.71 million this year and has a player option for $10.15 million next year. Either player in exchange for Prince works straight up under the cap and would represent an immediate costs savings if nothing else.

The HEAT were very high on Stokes in the draft process and it was believed that Miami would have scooped him up had they not been able to acquire Shabazz Napier, which they ultimately did in a draft night trade with Charlotte.

Without including something of real value it seems unlikely that someone gives the Grizzlies the missing piece, but they are in the marketplace sniffing around, they just may not have enough on the table to really get a deal done.

====

As for myself, a salary dump doesn't appeal to me for Green.
if we're dumping Wallace along with him, that would make a deal more appealing.  Green for just expirings is pointless because Green will opt out after this year so he's essentially an expiring deal if we hold on to him.

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't know why Miami would trade Deng.  Good player, good teammate, reasonable contract.
Don't laugh! To clear up cap space to bring back Lebron next year.

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good news for us...

Ira Winderman
?@IraHeatBeat
Update: Grizzlies called Heat to see if Deng might be available. Did not get any further source tells Sun   Sentinel.

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
let's trade Green for Courtney Lee!

Am I alone in wishing we kept Courtney Lee instead of Bradley?
No but at the time I was fooled also. And as bad as people wanted Bradley off the team to start the year, he was still decent then. But now he has regressed to the point when airball three point shots do not surprise me from him. His shot has gone completely missing.

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2015, 04:07:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Aside to @ESPNSteinLine report on MEM/Green: Cavs/Bos/MEM had talked re 3-teamer that would have sent JG to MEM, Koufos to CLE, picks to BOS

So we need another team besides the cavs to get in on a 3 teamer again

If MEM was indeed willing to part with Koufos to get Green in the original scenario, I see no reason why a simple two-team deal couldn't still be a possibility.

Bc danny doesnt want koufus

You sure about that? Legit center, can get his Bird Rights.

Why would the Griz trade Koufus for green? Gasol cant play the whole game. Or worse if he goes down with injuries

If like the nuggets the grizz had 3 centers, then they could trade one for green

Likely its going to be prince and a 1st for green and a 2nd imo

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Aside to @ESPNSteinLine report on MEM/Green: Cavs/Bos/MEM had talked re 3-teamer that would have sent JG to MEM, Koufos to CLE, picks to BOS

If MEM was indeed willing to part with Koufos to get Green in the original scenario, I see no reason why a simple two-team deal couldn't still be a possibility.

Why would the Griz trade Koufus for green? Gasol cant play the whole game. Or worse if he goes down with injuries

If like the nuggets the grizz had 3 centers, then they could trade one for green

MEM finds a backup C as part of the deal, or afterwards, from another team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I don't think this is a bad deal at all.  I wanted a pick or better prospect for Green but this allows us to unload Wallace while getting a mediocre prospect.  I really don't want Prince or JET but to clear Wallace's deal I could live with this.

That's because you're a Celtics fan.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

MEM finds a backup C as part of the deal, or afterwards, from another team.

I agree KL doesn't make much sense for either side. Prince and a piece is far more plausible.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)