Author Topic: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...  (Read 22451 times)

Re: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2024, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 422
The T-wolves are signing TJ Warren. Was interested in him as a scorer off the bench for the Celtics, but I don't know how his defense would hold up.
Forgot about him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2024, 02:23:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I may be putting too much stake in Tillman's play in one game but I am going to go ahead and assume that the rotations in the last game are representative of what the core rotations will be moving forward.  This is how it broke down (some rounding):

PG:   Holiday (32), Pritchard (16)
SG:   White (32), Brown (16)
SF:   Tatum (14), Brown (16), Hauser (18)
PF:   Horford (26), Tatum (22)
C:    Porzingis (30), Tillman (18)

I think that adds up to 48 min at each of the 5 positions.  To me, what is interesting is this rotation will result in 22 minutes with 1-big (one of Porzingis, Horford, Tillman), and 26 minutes with 2-bigs.  If you want more 2-big, you probably reduce Pritchard and/or Hauser and increase Horford and/or Tillman.  The end result is more Tatum at SF and less Tatum at PF.  If you want less 2-big, you do the opposite.  The starter minutes are probably pretty set.

It will be matchup dependent.  You can't dismiss Luke after one decent game by Tillman.

« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2024, 03:25:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1392
I may be putting too much stake in Tillman's play in one game but I am going to go ahead and assume that the rotations in the last game are representative of what the core rotations will be moving forward.  This is how it broke down (some rounding):

I think that adds up to 48 min at each of the 5 positions.  To me, what is interesting is this rotation will result in 22 minutes with 1-big (one of Porzingis, Horford, Tillman), and 26 minutes with 2-bigs.  If you want more 2-big, you probably reduce Pritchard and/or Hauser and increase Horford and/or Tillman.  The end result is more Tatum at SF and less Tatum at PF.  If you want less 2-big, you do the opposite.  The starter minutes are probably pretty set.

It will be matchup dependent.  You can't dismiss Luke after one decent game by Tillman.

Yes I think they will fill different roles and provide teams with different looks. If anything Tillman probably fills the Queta role more so than the Luke role, though his minutes will probably come from Luke. Luke is an unpopular player here but I think that Brad and Joe see something in him that most of us don't and he won't be discarding him so easy because he has a new bench toy. That said, Tillman gives Joe another tool off the bench for matchups where Luke might be getting pushed around or where he needs a better perimeter defender for pick and roll without having to go into drop coverage.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2024, 04:02:04 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2547

Yes I think they will fill different roles and provide teams with different looks. If anything Tillman probably fills the Queta role more so than the Luke role, though his minutes will probably come from Luke. Luke is an unpopular player here but I think that Brad and Joe see something in him that most of us don't and he won't be discarding him so easy because he has a new bench toy. That said, Tillman gives Joe another tool off the bench for matchups where Luke might be getting pushed around or where he needs a better perimeter defender for pick and roll without having to go into drop coverage.

Not everyone hates Luke.  If Tillman shows his value and takes Luke’s minutes that just means Luke is a luxury. A deep bench guy who can contribute when his number’s called.

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2024, 02:05:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3195

Not everyone hates Luke.  If Tillman shows his value and takes Luke’s minutes that just means Luke is a luxury. A deep bench guy who can contribute when his number’s called.

I love Luke. Solid 3rd string center. Always ready to play. Tillman brings some different things than Luke. He can guard out to the 3 point line and with most 1-5s. Tillman is the better passer. Luke is really tall.

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2024, 09:58:24 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Are we just leaving this spot open? What's the deadline to sign someone to be playoff eligible?

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2024, 11:06:00 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Might b nice to have a vet at the end of the bench for the rest of the season:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/three-buyout-candidates-boston-celtics-100039032.html

« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2024, 11:12:59 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Are we just leaving this spot open? What's the deadline to sign someone to be playoff eligible?

We have until the last day of the regular season.

« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2024, 11:18:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

TP

I wasn't sure. I hope we grab someone before the last day. I realize he'd be a break glass incase kinda guy but it's better to have him and not need him than to need him and not have him.

« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2024, 11:23:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886

Yes, the player has to have been bought out by March 1 and their contract that was bought out had to be less than the MLE.  But there are still a couple of options out there, maybe...

Otto Porter
Danuel House

The reality is that the part of the roster that is going to impact the playoff rotation is set.  The starters, plus Horford, Hauser, and Pritchard are set.  Then maybe Tillman and/or Kornet will see some time.  There is no buy out candidate out there that is going to make any difference.  So I am not sure what the point is.  I guess insurance for the insurance?

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2024, 11:28:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

Yes, the player has to have been bought out by March 1 and their contract that was bought out had to be less than the MLE.  But there are still a couple of options out there, maybe...

Otto Porter
Danuel House

The reality is that the part of the roster that is going to impact the playoff rotation is set.  The starters, plus Horford, Hauser, and Pritchard are set.  Then maybe Tillman and/or Kornet will see some time.  There is no buy out candidate out there that is going to make any difference.  So I am not sure what the point is.  I guess insurance for the insurance?

Porter was never bought out, as far as I can tell.

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2024, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 980
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Otto Porter
Danuel House

Yes, and vet with deep playoff experience is the best choice.  8)

« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2024, 02:22:45 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Marcus Morris got bought out, that is who I would target

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2024, 02:36:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We can't sign him because his prior salary was more than the MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2024, 03:07:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup

We can't sign him because his prior salary was more than the MLE.

Stupid rules getting in the way
Yup