Author Topic: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread  (Read 59167 times)

2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« on: September 05, 2023, 12:07:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
So #5 LSU and #9 Clemson get routed in their opening games.

I was honestly surprised they were even ranked that high to begin with. LSU is still a good team but not Top-5 worthy, and they played another Top-10 team so you can sort of understand. Clemson looks like a mess though and they barely have talent on the roster compared to some of these other teams. Duke didn't just beat them, they practically toyed with them all night
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 12:26:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, if I had to bet on one of the two (LSU or Clemson) to bounce back, I'd say LSU has a better chance to salvage their season.  I think Clemson going to have some issues this season.   A lot of their issues last night were self inflicted but I also got the sense that they're not a great football team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 02:18:27 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
I was pretty surprised to see LSU lose the line of scrimmage against FSU so decisively, both offensively and defensively.  Looked like both of their lines get whooped.  That doesn't bode well, because Bama and TAMU will likely be able to do the same thing to them that FSU just did. 

Regarding Clemson, I'm not sure what to make of that game.  They made so many back-breaking mistakes that it felt fluky to me, but... they did the same thing against Tennessee in the bowl game last year.  Outgained UT, just like they outgained Duke.  Lost both games decisively because they just don't finish drives.  Missed kicks, failed fourth downs, critical turnovers.  Once can be a fluke, but if it keeps happening, it becomes a pattern.  And unlike some recent years, they actually have some tests on their schedule this season.  They won't be able to sleepwalk their way to a playoff appearance this time around.

I don't believe in either of those teams after what we saw in Week 1. 

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 06:47:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
LSU is better than Clemson, but if you told me one was going to win 10 games, I'd pick the one in the ACC and not the SEC West.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 06:58:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
So #5 LSU and #9 Clemson get routed in their opening games.

I was honestly surprised they were even ranked that high to begin with. LSU is still a good team but not Top-5 worthy, and they played another Top-10 team so you can sort of understand. Clemson looks like a mess though and they barely have talent on the roster compared to some of these other teams. Duke didn't just beat them, they practically toyed with them all night

I think it is quite the stretch to say they toyed with them. Both teams made a decent amount of mistakes but Clemson fumbled twice inside dukes 5 yard line and missed like an 18 yard field goal. Final score was definitely not indicative of how close the game was. That being said no clue if Clemson is good, they just weren’t toyed with my Duke.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 09:19:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Bit worried about Ohio State this year.  Day is so conservative that I'm worried they will lose to an inferior school and won't be able to recover for a good season.  Stroud was just so good, he could cover up for a lot of the conservative play calling, but it was that play calling that cost them the game against Georgia and took them out of the Michigan game last year.  I was hoping that it was more a product of Stroud being so good they didn't want to take big risks, but it appears that is just the style.  It is a concern. 

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 11:44:54 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Bit worried about Ohio State this year.  Day is so conservative that I'm worried they will lose to an inferior school and won't be able to recover for a good season.  Stroud was just so good, he could cover up for a lot of the conservative play calling, but it was that play calling that cost them the game against Georgia and took them out of the Michigan game last year.  I was hoping that it was more a product of Stroud being so good they didn't want to take big risks, but it appears that is just the style.  It is a concern.

I think Ohio State could easily go 9-3 this year.  They have 3 legit road opponents in Michigan, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin, plus a game against Penn State. And you’re right, if they get careless they could drop a random game to someone else in the Maryland, Minnesota, MSU, or Rutgers tier.

They’ve got the talent, but the gap isn’t as big as it’s been vs. some of their opponents, and the coaching is suspect, as is the quarterback.  Of course, we’ve seen OSU look questionable before early in the season, and then turn on the jets around week 4 or 5, so perhaps I’m reacting to too little data.  I’m excited for November 25th tho.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 08:00:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

I think Ohio State could easily go 9-3 this year.  They have 3 legit road opponents in Michigan, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin, plus a game against Penn State. And you’re right, if they get careless they could drop a random game to someone else in the Maryland, Minnesota, MSU, or Rutgers tier.

They’ve got the talent, but the gap isn’t as big as it’s been vs. some of their opponents, and the coaching is suspect, as is the quarterback.  Of course, we’ve seen OSU look questionable before early in the season, and then turn on the jets around week 4 or 5, so perhaps I’m reacting to too little data.  I’m excited for November 25th tho.
Rutgers?  Rutgers is bottom of the barrel tier.   The last 8 seasons they've had at most 5 wins.  All-time they are 0-9 against OSU.   Maryland is 0-8 against OSU.  Minnesota has lost their last 12 matchups against OSU.  MSU has lost their last 7 matchups against OSU. 
Wisconsin has lost their last 9 matchups against OSU.   Even Penn State has lost their last 6 matchups against OSU.  And then there is ND who generally comes up small in the big games.
Unfortunately, it is really hard to see OSU going 9-3. 

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 02:16:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Rutgers?  Rutgers is bottom of the barrel tier.   The last 8 seasons they've had at most 5 wins.  All-time they are 0-9 against OSU.   Maryland is 0-8 against OSU.  Minnesota has lost their last 12 matchups against OSU.  MSU has lost their last 7 matchups against OSU. 
Wisconsin has lost their last 9 matchups against OSU.   Even Penn State has lost their last 6 matchups against OSU.  And then there is ND who generally comes up small in the big games.
Unfortunately, it is really hard to see OSU going 9-3.
Yes and 9-3 would be a terrible season.  I'm worried about then going 11-2, 3 losses would be an epic disaster

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
On a side note, the new scorebug on FOX for NCAAF is absolutely hideous. Ugh

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2023, 02:45:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Clemson still playing stupid football.  Tied up with Charleston Southern at 7-7 right now.  Turnover led to a CS TD and CS just converted & recovered an onside kick.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 02:53:50 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2023, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Annnd Charleston Southern just scored on a pick six. 

14-7 Charleston Southern.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 04:46:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I understand usually the marquee games happen later in the season, and even ranked teams can be a little rusty out of the gate. But man a lot of these games and matchups are just garbage.

I mean last week we had scores of 73-0, 81-7, etc. Now this week we already have 63-7, 45-3, 57-0, etc.

And what are some of these games? Ball State vs.  Georgia. Delaware vs. Penn State. Youngstown St. vs Ohio St.

Just a boring start to college football and there aren't many "intriguing" matchups at all. And frankly there aren't that many great games next week either.

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 10:33:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bama is some deep trouble here.

Impressed by the Longhorn defensive line tonight.

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2023, 11:32:15 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Bama is some deep trouble here.

Impressed by the Longhorn defensive line tonight.

Ewers looked good. I wonder if Arch Manning will end up leaving if Ewers is the real deal....