Author Topic: FIBA Eurobasket 2017, 31/8-17/9  (Read 42030 times)

Re: FIBA Eurobasket 2017, 31/8-17/9
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Vrankovic (president of the Croatian Basketball Federation) and Petrovic the coach of the NT got pretty mad with the players who rejected or partly accepted the invitations to the NT

I can't find an English text but between the lines they said that they can't accept players who say i can't come today but i will be available in a few days. It is not fair to the  other players.

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Vrankovic (president of the Croatian Basketball Federation) and Petrovic the coach of the NT got pretty mad with the players who rejected or partly accepted the invitations to the NT

I can't find an English text but between the lines they said that they can't accept players who say i can't come today but i will be available in a few days. It is not fair to the  other players.

I google translated and edited a Croatian page on this.

After Žižić, Zubac and Hossein the fourth absence for Croatia is Miro Bilan.

"He (Bilan) told me he is dissatisfied because he has no club, he would not like to risk an injury and was not mentally prepared. It was immediately clear to me where this was headed, said [...] Aco Petrović and added: - I can say that he has not cancel;ed the performance, but I have withdrawn my invitation to him. If someone is not mentally prepared, he can not  play.

https://www.vecernji.hr/sport/aco-petrovic-hrvatska-miro-bilan-eurobasket-vrankovic-kosarka-1184856

Androslav is that any good?

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2017, 06:25:45 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Doncic highlights vs Hungary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_enbxw1t5U

and vs the Czech Republic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgBAEhkudo

Also Goran Dragic highlights from the same game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQfeL1L8wRo

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 05:29:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Spain suffered a huge blow .... Llull destroyed his knee yesterday.... 6 to 9 months recovery time.

That is a pitty... He was in the best form of his life

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I google translated and edited a Croatian page on this.

After Žižić, Zubac and Hossein the fourth absence for Croatia is Miro Bilan.

"He (Bilan) told me he is dissatisfied because he has no club, he would not like to risk an injury and was not mentally prepared. It was immediately clear to me where this was headed, said [...] Aco Petrović and added: - I can say that he has not cancel;ed the performance, but I have withdrawn my invitation to him. If someone is not mentally prepared, he can not  play.

https://www.vecernji.hr/sport/aco-petrovic-hrvatska-miro-bilan-eurobasket-vrankovic-kosarka-1184856

Androslav is that any good?
Vranković, Dino Rađa (both NT executives) and Toni Kukoc (with more of advisory role) got "mad" at Zubac, Žižić as they don't relish at every chance of playing for the NT squad. However, I vividly remember the time, 20 years ago, when they skiped numerous competitions. Now they seem to hold this double standard. I understand their frustration, as they want the best possible lineups to be avalible, but it sounds a bit corny to me.
Dino is also, unfortunately, still operating under the assumption that the best basketball was played during his time. I couldn't disagree more. My question to him would be why don't you use a 20 year old cell phone or why don't you drive an SUV from 1994?
Exactly, they are plainly worse than the contemporary models.

Bilan is a slow moving (I mean like mud slow) with no explotion whatsoever, he is a relatively skilled post player (left/right hook, nice footwork), good soldier in general, fighter, but clearly he is not a cerebral type of a player. He has an effective Adriatic league game but it doesn't translate to International play that well. We are stacked at the center position in the future so he probably won't be comming back for the 2019 WC (hunch). ATM, my take is that Darko Planinić will cover the majority of center minutes. He was surprisingly effective at Rio Olympics. In short, he is a very good rebounder, always boxes out, good hands, solid FT rate and %, he can hit an ocasional mid ranger, but most importantly a guy that won't mind doing the dirty work under the rim. I think he is an underated player. I like his positive and competitive demeanor.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:59:36 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Spain suffered a huge blow .... Llull destroyed his knee yesterday.... 6 to 9 months recovery time.

Yes, I realy enjoyed watching him play this year.
NBA career was in question even before this injury, I hope he does come back as good as before.

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

NBA career was in question even before this injury, I hope he does come back as good as before.

I don't think Llull was ever coming over to the NBA at this point, but that's still terrible for him.

On the other hand, this should mean an even larger role for Doncic with Real Madrid.

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't think Llull was ever coming over to the NBA at this point, but that's still terrible for him.

On the other hand, this should mean an even larger role for Doncic with Real Madrid.

He hasn't come, understandable regarding his salary and being home as two huge factors. But you never know, Teodosić came now, something he could have done years before. Llull is a figher, competitor and you can never know what challenge those types can put in front of themselves. I am more optimistic as he is a skill player. He is no DH12 or DRose to be totally inefficient after body brakes down.

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Doncic should now start and be the primary ballhandler/playmaker for them. Big opportunity for him..

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Radulica got injured and will miss the Eurobasket .....

Too many injuries

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I was also thinking of that.

I don't know as much as Dario on the Spanish League, but I expect Real to go after a guard who can contribute immediatly. Apart from Llull's injury, Real knows that Doncic is likely to be gone after this season. Add to this that Sergio Rodriguez has signed with CSKA and that Real only won Copa del Rey last season.

I googled a bit on Spanish sports news, one rumour is they will go after NBA guards (they mention several names: Aaron Brooks, Trey Burke, and Isaiah Canaan among them).

https://okdiario.com/real-madrid/baloncesto/2017/08/17/real-madrid-esperara-gangas-del-mercado-nba-307228

Other than that, I feel the need to revisit Eurobasket's power rankings. I've lost count of the absences and injuries.

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2017, 12:09:23 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
How's Papagiannis doing?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2017, 03:14:17 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
@greeece666
i remember reading immidiately after the injury that real will not sign  a replacement. Probably they will get another guard for the bench but not a starter

@ somebody Papagiannis will make the eurobasket roster. So far he had uneven performances but so did Greece as a team. He was good in a 30p win  against England  and he disappeared in the 30p defeat against Serbia. Compared to last summer he looks definately better. He got stronger and moves better. He should be more aggressive imo.