Author Topic: Sometimes I think it's a good thing sites like these weren't around in the 80s  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We would have had to deal with "Should we trade Larry Bird for Danny Manning and Hersey Hawkings?" and "Should we trade McHale for Pervis Ellison and their 2nd rounder next year?" and "Should we trade Parish for Armon Gilliam and William Bedford?"

Sometimes you just gotta be happy for what you have. We have a future HOF pg signed at about half what a star makes in this league for long term.  We have one of the best 20 year olds in the league and maybe the best guard defender I've ever seen.  We've had a good run and have a fine future. 

It's not fantasy basketball. I find some of your imaginative wheeling and dealing admirable, but at the very least it does come off a little like the statements I made above. Not saying to stop, but geeze.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Would Danny Ainge have been the one starting those threads?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'd say yes. He's probably starting them now too.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Also if this place were around since the 80s Roy would have 2 million posts.

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Bring back Kelvin Upshaw!!!

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
If it was the late 80s and they had the current CBA, I think they'd be perfectly valid discussions. Unfortunately, the best way to consistently win in the current environment is to maximize your assets. That often means trading aging stars if you can get legitimate pieces to build around.

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51

Big, fat, whopping, thunderous TP

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
We would have had to deal with "Should we trade Larry Bird for Danny Manning and Hersey Hawkings?" and "Should we trade McHale for Pervis Ellison and their 2nd rounder next year?" and "Should we trade Parish for Armon Gilliam and William Bedford?"

Sometimes you just gotta be happy for what you have. We have a future HOF pg signed at about half what a star makes in this league for long term.  We have one of the best 20 year olds in the league and maybe the best guard defender I've ever seen.  We've had a good run and have a fine future. 

It's not fantasy basketball. I find some of your imaginative wheeling and dealing admirable, but at the very least it does come off a little like the statements I made above. Not saying to stop, but geeze.
TP!
Image the rondo haters and what they would say about Bird playing passing lanes, not being the best man on defender, shooting with his left hand in portland (bored), KC playing the bench as little as possible.  Wait the subs starting a playoff game, what would they have said for that one?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

TP!   Amen.

Offline thenotoriousjts

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Would you trade CelticsBlog and Twitter to go back to the 80s and a 1st rounder?
Feel free to check me out here: https://hardwoodhoudini.com/author/jstevens3/ or here https://hashtagbasketball.com/author/jeremy-stevens

Can't we just bring Gerald Green back?

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Its all just good fun.  If you don't like other people silly trades, don't read their silly posts.  It's pretty simple.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:46:53 PM by FrDrake »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
It's not just the presence of fan-community sites like this, though.  We all know so much more about the players on other teams, because there is so much coverage both on TV and on the 'net.  We can have an intelligent conversation about a guy like Omar Asik because we've all seen him play many times; there are NBA games on every night in the season, and you can pretty much watch any game you want if you're willing to pay up.  We can look up any basic or advance stat we might imagine; we can see that he's a superior defensive rebounder.  We can easily read the Chicago newspapers and ESPNChicago for their analysis of his play, and we can read what fans on Bulls forums think of him, good and bad.

Would we be able to propose Asik as a potential solution to our needs at the center spot, if it wasn't for all of the other information sources we have available today?  We might not even know who he was, except for the couple games a year we player Chicago.

So, part of it is that there's a community of fans - something beyond just a group of buddies ****ing and moaning at the bar.    A big part of it, though, is that the insane amount of information we have available to us allows us to think about these things.  We simply know a lot more about the players on other teams than we used to.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Video Arcades, early Beastie Boys, the Roller Rink, the hair, and the heavily zippered jackets.  Ah, those good old days!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Sports radio has been carrying even worse nonsense for quite a long time.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Can't you just picture Danny, looking around at his teammates on the Sacramento Kings, thinking to himself "if only Red had listened to me, I'd still be in Beantown...".