Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #24  (Read 13006 times)

25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #24
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This is #24 in a series of threads to determine the 25 greatest Celtics of All-Time.

Players to consider:

Jim Loscutoff
Kendrick Perkins
Rajon Rondo
Antoine Walker
Danny Ainge
Don Chaney
Charlie Scott
Ray Allen
M.L. Carr
Bailey Howell
Don Nelson

Rules

1. Only former or current players are eligible.
No former coaches, GMs or owners. The Celtics´ history has just too many characters to include all of them.
You can´t vote for a player who has already won one of the earlier polls.

2. You can include off-the-court performances.
Although only former or current players are eligible, it is perfectly fine to include Tommy`s contributions as a coach and broadcaster, Danny Ainge`s work as a GM or Dave Cowens´ nap on a parkbench after celebrating with the fans in 1974 in your evaluation.

3. You have three votes
The first vote is worth 4 points, the second 2 points, and the third 1 point. This system is certainly more suited for a poll like this than a simple "one vote" poll.

Just write a post with your votes, and after the poll is closed, I will go through the thread and count every vote personally. I´ll close the poll in 2-4 days.

#1  Bill Russell
#2  Larry Bird
#3  John Havlicek
#4  Bob Cousy
#5  Kevin McHale
#6  Tommy Heinsohn
#7  Paul Pierce
#8  Dave Cowens
#9  Sam Jones
#10 Robert Parish
#11 Bill Sharman
#12 Dennis Johnson
#13 JoJo White
#14 Kevin Garnett
#15 Cedric Maxwell
#16 Reggie Lewis
#17 K.C. Jones
#18 Frank Ramsey
#19 Ed Macauley
#20 Satch Sanders
#21 Tiny Archibald
#22 Paul Silas

Winner of the last poll:

Daniel Ray "Danny" Ainge

Talented in multiple sports, Ainge starred in high school on his football team and led North Eugene High School to back-to-back state basketball championships in 1976–77, earning all-state honors both years; he was considered one of the top prep football recruits in the state of Oregon. As a junior he was named to the 1977 Parade Magazine High School All-America team. Danny Ainge is the only person to be a high school first team All-American in football, basketball, and baseball.

Ainge played basketball at Brigham Young University and became a household name after hitting one of the greatest shots in NCAA March Madness history against Notre Dame in 1981. His coast to coast drive with only seven seconds remaining gave the Cougars a one point win. Ainge concluded his senior year by winning the Eastman Award as well as the John R. Wooden Award - given to the best collegiate player in the nation. During his four-year career at BYU, Ainge was an All-American, a two-time First Team Academic All-American, the WAC Player of the Year and a four-time All-WAC selection

Ainge was selected in baseball's 1977 amateur draft by Toronto. He made it to the major leagues with the Blue Jays in 1979 while still in college, but amassed only modest numbers for the team. Mostly a second baseman, he played third base and outfield positions as well, hitting .220 in his baseball career with 2 home runs. He is the youngest player in Toronto Blue Jays history to hit a home run at 20 years and 77 days. Ainge played on the losing end of Len Barker's 1981 perfect game, going 0-for-2.

After 3 years with the Blue Jays, Ainge decided to pursue a career in basketball and was chosen in the 1981 NBA Draft by the Boston Celtics, who had to buy out Ainge's contract from the Blue Jays after a legal battle.

Not everything went well for Ainge in basketball at first. According to Larry Bird in his autobiography Drive: The Story of My Life, Ainge had a terrible first day of practice, "shooting 0-19". The coach, Bill Fitch gave Ainge a rough time, saying his batting average was better than his shooting percentage on the basketball court. But Ainge became one of the important pieces of the team that won the NBA title in 1984 and 1986, and a major contributor of the mid to late 1980s Celtics teams.

He was known as a hard-nosed player, often infuriating opponents with his combative style and brash personality. In a 1983 playoff game against Atlanta, he exchanged blows with the 7 foot 1 inch Tree Rollins and was ejected from the contest. Larry Bird gives an account about Ainge's fight with Rollins in his autobiography Drive. Bird said that Danny had called Rollins a sissy earlier which ended up in the two fighting. Bird said that after the fight was broken up, Ainge rose up off the floor laughing, stating, "That big sissy just bit me." Also, while playing for the Phoenix Suns, Ainge got into a tussle with Michael Jordan at mid court and both were given a technical foul. In a 1994 postseason game, Ainge rifled an inbounding pass at the head of Houston Rockets guard Mario Elie, striking him in the face, snapping his neck back.

In 1989, Ainge was traded to the Sacramento Kings for young center Joe Kleine, whom the Celtics saw as a possible substitute to the aging Robert Parish, and Ed Pinckney.
Source: Wikipedia

Final Outcome (points in parenthesis):
Total Votes: 25

Danny Ainge (80)
Don Nelson (27)
Ray Allen (27)
Antoine Walker (15)
Bailey Howell (6)
Don Chaney (6)
Dino Radja (4)
Two players tied with 2 points
Six players tied with 1 point
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #24
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's about time.

I'm going to go:

24. Don Nelson
25. Ray Allen
26. Bailey Howell (look him up)

And yeah, I'm probably overrating Ray (as compared to Howell), but we wouldn't have won a championship without Ray Allen.  I can't say that about Howell, just because I don't know.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don Nelson
Antoine Walker
Jim Loscutoff

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
24. Antoine
25. Ray Ray
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:41:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don Nelson
Bailey Howell
Ray Allen

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:48:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Chaney
Nelson
Big Al Jefferson --> about time Big Al got some love on the list

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
24) Antoine
25) Ray Allen
26) Gerald Green.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Don Nelson
Ray Allen
Scott Wedman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Please look him up....great credentials

Bailey Howell

then

Don Chaney

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1805
Chaney
Howell
Allen
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
don nelson
don chaney
bailey howell who i honestly don't know a thing about but have done a bit of research

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Antoine
Loscutoff
Nelson

Jim Loscutoff played all 9 of his seasons with the Boston Celtics. In his second season his hard nosed defense and rebounding was a huge part of the Celtics' first championship. He also went on to start and be a key reserve on 7 championships.

This guy averaged 10 points in 1956-57 but like i said his defense and rebounding is what earned his spot on the team. Imagine that year Russell and ROTY Tommy Heinsoh combined to average 30 total rebounds per game, yet Loscy avg'd 10 on his own. Thats a starting frontcourt alone averaging 40RPG.

PLEASE vote for this guy, his name is in the rafters, he was a fan favorite, and was part of one of the best defensive frontcourts ever.

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Antoine
Loscutoff
Nelson

Jim Loscutoff played all 9 of his seasons with the Boston Celtics. In his second season his hard nosed defense and rebounding was a huge part of the Celtics' first championship. He also went on to start and be a key reserve on 7 championships.

This guy averaged 10 points in 1956-57 but like i said his defense and rebounding is what earned his spot on the team. Imagine that year Russell and ROTY Tommy Heinsoh combined to average 30 total rebounds per game, yet Loscy avg'd 10 on his own. Thats a starting frontcourt alone averaging 40RPG.

PLEASE vote for this guy, his name is in the rafters, he was a fan favorite, and was part of one of the best defensive frontcourts ever.

And yet you put his behind the anti-Loscy. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Antoine
Loscutoff
Nelson

And yet you put his behind the anti-Loscy. ;)

well 'Toine was an all-star and a Boston Celtic captain.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ray
Scali