Author Topic: Share your encounter with a Celtic/Celtic great  (Read 14222 times)

Re: Share your encounter with a Celtic/Celtic great
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I got tickets to see the Celtics play in Miami back in 1991.  It was an adventure all the way around.  The Heat was still playing in Overtown back then, which was a pretty rough area.  When we parked, a group of pretty tough looking guys came up to us and told us that if we paid them $10 they would make sure our car would be safe while we were there.  We paid the $10 because I didn't want to take a chance on what might happen if we didn't.

The game was great.  Larry Bird was just coming back from being out with an injury and it was a game time decision on whether he played.  He did play and played well.  There was almost as much green in the arena as there was black and red.  The Celtics won the game.  There wasn't any chance to approach the players in the arena but after the game I got the great idea to go around back and maybe catch them when they came out to the bus.  We walked to the back of the arena where the bus would come out and had to sidestep a couple of drunks lying in the alley.  There was a fence all the way around and they were boarding the bus too far away inside the fence to approach.  Heat players were driving out but wouldn't stop or even acknowledge the fans there.  Then I got another great idea.  We would follow the bus back to their hotel.  I waited there while my husband went back for the car.

We followed the bus to the Marriott hotel.   There were quite a few other fans there as well.   As the players got off of the bus and went into the lobby, they stopped to talk to fans and sign autographs and pose for pictures.   This included DJ, McHale, Parish, Ed Pinkney, Joe Kleine, Kevin Gamble, Dee Brown and Reggie Lewis.    The coaches including Chris Ford also hung around.   

I have to say these guys were so classy and really great with their fans.  I got my picture taken with them all and got the program signed by most of them.  Bird was a bit reserved and left way before the others did.  Kevin McHale was so great.  He would get down on his knees to pose with kids and stood and talked to people for a long time.  When I asked Chief for a picture he bent down and said that he didn't want his head cut off in the picture. 

It was such a great experience.  Dennis Johnson was also really patient with the fans, talking basketball and posing for pictures for a long time.  Most of them were there for over an hour, even though they had to be tired and want to go get something to eat.  I do remember that DJ left with a couple of Heat cheerleaders. 

That was my one and only time of meeting the Celtics, or even getting to see them play in person. 

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Not to much of an encounter but last year I went to the Celts vs. Heat game when we crushed them and as the players were walking through the tunnel I yelled at Doc and said "Great Game Doc.. Great game" and he looked me dead and the eyes and gave me one of the fist pumps that he always does.. So I was really excited about that. Hopefully I can go catch a Heat Celts game next season and get to have another encounter with the celts!

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I have never met a Celtic. However, I did ride in a elevator with Manute Bol.

He had to slouch completely over to even fit.

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Not to much of an encounter but last year I went to the Celts vs. Heat game when we crushed them and as the players were walking through the tunnel I yelled at Doc and said "Great Game Doc.. Great game" and he looked me dead and the eyes and gave me one of the fist pumps that he always does.. So I was really excited about that. Hopefully I can go catch a Heat Celts game next season and get to have another encounter with the celts!

Here's my Doc encounter:

My wife and I had gone to a Sunday afternoon game early in the '07-'08 season, and went over to the North End for dinner at Strega afterwards.  The Maitre D' saw I was wearing my Celtics jacket, and told us that they expected Doc in any minute.  I wasn't exactly thrilled, because as far as I was concerned, the jury was still out on Doc after the last two seasons.

Anyhow, Doc showed up on cue, and he and a few other guys took a table not far from us.  Not to intrude on his dinner, I didn't say anything.  When we got up to leave, I put my coat with the big Celtics logo on.  Doc looked over, smiled gave a big thumbs up and complemented me on my choice of attire.

I congratulated him on that day's win, mentioned we were season ticket holders through the lean years, and were looking forward to good things.

He asked where our seats were.  We told him we were in the balcony with the real fans.  He thanked us for supporting the team, and told us that it was going to be a great season.

As the season went on, he erased any doubts we had about him as a coach, but right at that moment he showed himself to be every bit the gentleman and down-to earth gut he appears to be.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.