Author Topic: Share your encounter with a Celtic/Celtic great  (Read 14221 times)

Share your encounter with a Celtic/Celtic great
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:13:58 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
Do you have a story of a time you encountered or interacted with a Celtic player or Celtic great?

If so, lets hear about it.

I have had a few encounters with Celtic greats. I was lucky enough to have gone to a special day in the old garden before it shut down where you could meet dozens of Celtic greats. I was also able to go down to D.C. and meet many of the Celtics when they met with the President.

But my story is a time after a game a few years ago where me and a few friends were getting on the T, and we saw Cedric Maxwell getting on too. We immediately ask for his autograph. He says "I am just tryin to get home just like you", and he then proceeds sign our programs. While he was signing, I said, "take us to the promise land Cedric". He did not seem amused lol.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:33:32 AM by WBrownTrophy »
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

Re: Share your encounter with a Celtic/Celtic great
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:30:55 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Nice topic. When I used to live in Chicago, I had a girlfriend who claimed that Antoine Walker used to mildly stalk her. Always asking her out/calling her. She wasn't interested in him. One point for me. Then when I used to go clubbing in Chicago, Ron Mercer always showed up and would try to go for the girls I had been dancing/talking to. He was more successful. One point for former Celtics.

Tom Thibs used to be the assistant coach at Harvard and I went to a basketball camp there. He had a mullet, so I was skeptical, but he worked hard. he basically ran the camp. Must be where I got my defensive schemes in my young HS/middle school coaching career ;)

Also Kendrick Brown bagged my groceries this evening at Shaw's. Ok, kidding about this last one... I think.  :-\

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:08:22 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Living up in the boonies that is North Dakota, I rarely got to attend any type of pro sporting event.  But as luck should have it, in 1993 the T-Wolves played a pre-season game in Fargo against non other than our Boston Celtics. 

There was little to no security around, so autograph hunting was fair game.  Most of the good players didn't come out until shootaround was almost over, but a bunch of the scrubs did. Travis Mays was trying to make the C's team that year (he didn't), and I tried to get his autograph to no avail.  After several attempts to gets signatures crashed and burned (Marlon Maxey even shot me down!), I spied Kevin Gamble walking to the court.  I asked for an autograph, and he signed it no questions asked.  This wouldve made my day alone, but to top that I noticed that Kevin McHale was in street clothes talking to some T-Wolves brass.  I approached him, thinking there was no way he'd acknowledge me.  To my surprise he politely signed my mini-Celtics B-Ball.  I ran back to where my dad was sitting to share my good news.  He had noticed that I had gotten McHale's signature, but pointed out that in my hysteria I had ran right past Dennis Johnson.  What could have been.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:15:27 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Living up in the boonies that is North Dakota, I rarely got to attend any type of pro sporting event.  But as luck should have it, in 1993 the T-Wolves played a pre-season game in Fargo against non other than our Boston Celtics. 

There was little to no security around, so autograph hunting was fair game.  Most of the good players didn't come out until shootaround was almost over, but a bunch of the scrubs did. Travis Mays was trying to make the C's team that year (he didn't), and I tried to get his autograph to no avail.  After several attempts to gets signatures crashed and burned (Marlon Maxey even shot me down!), I spied Kevin Gamble walking to the court.  I asked for an autograph, and he signed it no questions asked.  This wouldve made my day alone, but to top that I noticed that Kevin McHale was in street clothes talking to some T-Wolves brass.  I approached him, thinking there was no way he'd acknowledge me.  To my surprise he politely signed my mini-Celtics B-Ball.  I ran back to where my dad was sitting to share my good news.  He had noticed that I had gotten McHale's signature, but pointed out that in my hysteria I had ran right past Dennis Johnson.  What could have been.

TP. Great story.

TP to the OP as well for the thread idea.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Thanks Red

Tom Thibs used to be the assistant coach at Harvard and I went to a basketball camp there. He had a mullet, so I was skeptical, but he worked hard. he basically ran the camp. Must be where I got my defensive schemes in my young HS/middle school coaching career ;)

Thibs had a mullet?!?  I need to find a picture of this
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
My fiance has met, Paul Pierce right after he had his baby and was flying to catch up with the team in Charlotte. She also met Doc Rivers at the airport got a picture with him, said he was a really really nice guy and very genuine.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sadly I don't think I've ever met any Celtic. Good stories though, keep them coming.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I scurried out to buy the 2008 Celtics DVD, and on my way out of Newbury Comics I saw Danny Ainge.

He was on his phone, so I did a double take, quickly thought that I didn't want to bother him, then my mind took over with the "you'll regret this forever if you walk away", so I walked over him quickly outreached my hand and said "Thankyou, sir."

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:14 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Does watching Walter McCarty walk by count?

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I saw Ray Allen at the Stop & shop in Edgartown, MV last summer.  He was there with his wife, and what looked liked his daughter??  Anyways we said "hey, ray allen"...he looked up smiled and waved at us.  I waited outside to get a picture with him, but his hand were full with groceries(kinda funny i thought), and I didn't want to be rude.  Afterwards he drove by the front of the store and gave us a wave from his white escalade.  Seems like a good guy, no suprise there

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
If anyone has ever met KG please post about the encounter

That may be the ultimate

Although I'm afraid I would either pass-out, or look like I had just seen a ghost

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Thanks Red
If anyone has ever met KG please post about the encounter

That may be the ultimate

Although I'm afraid I would either pass-out, or look like I had just seen a ghost

I actually have a friend who just met KG on Martha's Vineyard.Maybe the big three hang out together in MV?
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »

Offline PistolPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I was at the Sporting Goods Supershow in Atlanta in the early '90's, and I saw Bill Russell talking to another really tall guy (I think it was Elvin Hayes). I knew he didn't do autographs, and I was too old to ask for one anyway, so I said something like "Mr. Russell, I think you're the greatest champion ever, and because of you the Celtics are my favorite team. And I just wanted to shake your hand." And I extended my hand, and he totally ignored me. At least I gave it a shot. Doesn't change my opinion about him, though.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
(1) Walking in an airport past a really tall guy, thinking "man, he's tall" and "boy, he looks familiar."  It took me a couple seconds to realize it was the Chief.

(2) Getting Danny Ainge's autograph.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
ive only met 1 nba player, as i live in the philippines and never been abroad(except when i was an infant). it was paul pierce in 2004 i think, when he went on a nike school tour here. i had my picture taken with him.  :)