Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #8  (Read 15690 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #8
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Cowens
Parish
Jones
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Cowens
Jones
Sharman

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Dave Cowens
Ed Macauley
Sam Jones

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
cowens
parish
jones

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Every time I see this thread, the same thought goes through my mind:  Paul Pierce isn't better than Dave Cowens.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Every time I see this thread, the same thought goes through my mind:  Paul Pierce isn't better than Dave Cowens.

Hondo isn't better than Cousey IMO.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Always tough to gauge a current player like Pierce. More often than not, they seem to be underrated when they play, IMO. It'll be interesting to see where he stands 20 years from now. 

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Always tough to gauge a current player like Pierce. More often than not, they seem to be underrated when they play, IMO. It'll be interesting to see where he stands 20 years from now. 

My thought is that Pierce was *never* close to the best player (or most valuable player) in his league; only once has he been judged to be in the top-ten by the voters for the All-NBA teams.  Cowens, on the other hand, finished in the top-five in MVP voting four different times.

I think Pierce played on too many terrible Celtics teams to be ranked 7th all-time.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

My thought is that Pierce was *never* close to the best player (or most valuable player) in his league; only once has he been judged to be in the top-ten by the voters for the All-NBA teams.  Cowens, on the other hand, finished in the top-five in MVP voting four different times.

I think Pierce played on too many terrible Celtics teams to be ranked 7th all-time.

I can't really blame Pierce for the teams he was surrounded by.  That was outside his control.  I won't penalize him for that. 

Has any other player ranked in the Top 10 of Celtic History been asked to be "the guy" on a crappy Celtics team over an extended amount of time?  Unless you want to go back to the 40s or early 50s, the answer is "no"  All these other guys had hall of famers around them for their entire , or close to, their entire careers.

I think Pierce is a unique and compelling case.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:26:39 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

agreed and its not a knock on john
cousy is the blueprint for a point guard
Paul really came into his own when doc / danny arrived  :-\ i think i just gave doc a compliment.  The early PP was not that good of an all around player (compared to dave) .  His team defense (and man) has really jumped up.  He has always been a top notch scorer but the last few years if we need d he brings it, rebounds he gets them.
Too many posters don't remember/never saw dave cowens play.  He isn't just an asst coach.  Cowens has the be the hardest player ever.  He was also playing center when kareem was arguably the most dominant center ever.  Cowens was on the 50 greatest ever list wasn't he?

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

agreed and its not a knock on john
cousy is the blueprint for a point guard
Paul really came into his own when doc / danny arrived  :-\ i think i just gave doc a compliment.  The early PP was not that good of an all around player (compared to dave) .  His team defense (and man) has really jumped up.  He has always been a top notch scorer but the last few years if we need d he brings it, rebounds he gets them.
Too many posters don't remember/never saw dave cowens play.  He isn't just an asst coach.  Cowens has the be the hardest player ever.  He was also playing center when kareem was arguably the most dominant center ever.  Cowens was on the 50 greatest ever list wasn't he?

yea he was, but Cowens left for two years and came back with the Bucks. He'll be number 8 so its ok.

Plus it will be a good argument for Pierce when noone else on the top 25 played with him, atleast before he was a championship. Everyone in the top 6 played with atleast one OTHER member of the top 6.

Pierce was alone, like Ed Macauley... who IMO is the forgotten savior of our franchise. He was our only shining hope for a long while, and it was him leaving that brought us Russell.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
- Dave Cowens
- Sam Jones
- Robert Parish
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Jones
Jones
Jones

and thats not KC and Popeye,,,all Sam

if forced to pick a 2 and 3, Cowens and the Chief

but Sam Jones needs to be #8
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sam Jones
Bill Sharman
Dave Cowens

The same exact order I have gad for the third vote in a row.

Now I'm really appalled. Danny Ainge and Easy Ed Macauley and Robert Parish in front of Sam Jones and Bill Sharman. Please people pick up a book on Celtic history and go find some old Celtic footage. PLEASE!!!!

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The minute I start seeing Antoine Walker votes, I quit.

Ainge is already starting to get votes and guys like Frank Ramsay, Bill Sharman, Dave Cowens, Sam Jones, KC Jones(who BTW might be the third greatest defensive player in Celtic history behind Hondo and McHale, my guess is the younger guys probably don't know that), Ed Macauley, Cedric Maxwell, Satch Sanders and Jo Jo White still haven't been voted in. That's a travesty.