Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43635 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2018, 11:09:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
"Not having room" for Baynes sounds like a great way end up with Horford playing 100% of his minutes at center or forcing Yabu/Williams into the rotation. Theis is coming back from a knee injury after all.

Even if Baynes ends up going somewhere else they'll sign some big to make sure that doesn't happen.

Unless and until they trade one of Morris or Yabusele, or they let Smart go in free agency, they don’t have room.  Both in terms of minutes and in space under the tax line.

I like Baynes, and I’d happily move Morris to make room for him.  I just don’t think we can assume that a trade to the Celtics liking will avail itself.
The tax concerns are very real and I could see that leading to Smart or Baynes being let go.

Morris being on the roster effecting whether or not we carry a center who has proven he can play in a NBA game is a really weird opinion to be so confident about.

« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Apparently the C's have already lost track of Williams and are delaying a conference call press event with him.

Is this for real? 

EDIT:  Just saw the tweet.  Yeesh.

LOL Dude probably partied his arse off last night.

« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Apparently the C's have already lost track of Williams and are delaying a conference call press event with him.

Is this for real? 

Yup. It is very real.

Apparently the Celtics wanted to do the conference call last night originally so this is the second delay.

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Is this for real? 

Yup. It is very real.

Apparently the Celtics wanted to do the conference call last night originally so this is the second delay.

Does he have a phone?

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Is this for real? 

Yeah I'm assuming he is in no state to talk to the media after a late night.

« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
"Not having room" for Baynes sounds like a great way end up with Horford playing 100% of his minutes at center or forcing Yabu/Williams into the rotation. Theis is coming back from a knee injury after all.

Even if Baynes ends up going somewhere else they'll sign some big to make sure that doesn't happen.

Unless and until they trade one of Morris or Yabusele, or they let Smart go in free agency, they don’t have room.  Both in terms of minutes and in space under the tax line.

I like Baynes, and I’d happily move Morris to make room for him.  I just don’t think we can assume that a trade to the Celtics liking will avail itself.

If they plan to get to the finals they absolutely need a capable big to play alongside Horford - a big big. Don’t know what other pieces will prove easiest to rearrange, but Theis, while nice, isn’t enough. Baynes or his replacement is a high priority.

« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Is this for real? 

Yup. It is very real.

Not a great start for a kid who allegedly had personality questions.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Is this for real? 

Yeah I'm assuming he is in no state to talk to the media after a late night.

A bunch of media chodes would be the last people I would want to talk to the morning after I was drafted in to the NBA

« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's a fine pick because you rarely see a guy with that high a ceiling that late in the draft. And our success and stable franchise environment shifts the risk/reward even farther in our direction.

The flipside is that his floor is the same as nearly any late 1st rounder - a swift washout. And the median outcome is probably just a guy who sticks in the league but never can hang onto any meaningful rotation role.

Just have to keep them all in mind. Williams could be a huge get for us, but he's more likely to be something disappointing or just serviceable. It can still be a pick to be really happy with even if the most likely outcomes aren't anywhere near the hype.

Ain't no party like a Wild Wings party I guess. No need to read too much into this yet but it sure feels a little Fab Melo-esque.

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Is this for real? 

Yup. It is very real.

I didn't see where that was posted. My understanding is that Stevens had originally planned to talk to him this morning, after releasing that in his post draft interview.

But if that is the case, this is not boding well for his 'attitude,' concerns. But I will let it slide, since he's 20, and just got drafted to his dream job... We have had players who have done things like this, the real answer is how they provide the explanation or make up for this mishap/misunderstanding.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I have a feeling Baynes comes back and the big loser in minutes will be Morris. I also have a feeling he's not going to respond to that well. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the kind of trade you're thinking of.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

If they plan to get to the finals they absolutely need a capable big to play alongside Horford - a big big. Don’t know what other pieces will prove easiest to rearrange, but Theis, while nice, isn’t enough. Baynes or his replacement is a high priority.
If Williams will just  make Embiid's life a living hell for 25 min a game for the next decade I'm happy.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I have a feeling Baynes comes back and the big loser in minutes will be Morris. I also have a feeling he's not going to respond to that well. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the kind of trade you're thinking of.

I think Morris is gone in a few months contingent on Ainge finding a cost controlled young player, or another under the radar draft pick like the Grizzlies from a contending team needing a SF/PF combo forward. Just no minutes on the floor for him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Answer your phone, Robert.