Author Topic: Do you think the league is careful about televising sensitive games?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't know why I was thinking of this. Maybe slightly because of the white Americans in the NBA thread.

but

juuussssttt out of curiosity....let's say the Kings are playing the Grizz....do you think people out there say "If Omri Casspi dunks on Hammed H (the Iranian guy...you know who I mean, I just can't spell it) there could be trouble"

or maybe in China they were concerned about Joe Alexander dunking on Yi or Yao (I guess we don't have to worry about that now)

Or do you think this is way too far fetched and probably nobody cares?

I'm just thinking it would be terrible if a mini riot started somewhere because of something like this and somebody got hurt.

Come to think of it they play the Olympics so I'm sure it's probably a non-issue, but if anybody has an interesting bit of info to bring to the table I'd be curious to see it.

Re: Do you think the league is careful about televising sensitive games?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No I don't.

I think the networks don't look at the players as ethnic entities that bring all of the problems in those ethnic societies with them. I think they look at them as professional basketball players doing a job of entertaining people by playing basketball.

And that's the way it should be.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't think they do.  On the contrary, I think they would love a little controversy.  That would probably go for higher ratings.  But I don't think they really care.  Sports has been known not to cause controversy and sometimes even calm things down.  Just look at the World Cup of soccer.  There has been many interesting games, like South Korea vs. North Korea, Iran vs. USA, Georgia vs. Russia and the games themselves doesn't cause anything.  Maybe something in the stands may happen.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No I don't.

I think the networks don't look at the players as ethnic entities that bring all of the problems in those ethnic societies with them. I think they look at them as professional basketball players doing a job of entertaining people by playing basketball.

And that's the way it should be.

I think I completely agree. I just remember when the Chinese were trying to influence the Yao situation and I think the league did a good job of standing their ground, but I could see how this might enter someone's mind especially after those two Clippers announcers said some sensitive (or insensitive I guess) stuff about the Iranian

And I agree with the other point about it possibly being good for ratings.

Plus the league never shied away from rivalries before and the Yankees/Sox hatred is good for baseball