Author Topic: Goodbye Ronaldo  (Read 17627 times)

Goodbye Ronaldo
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:09:00 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8094720.stm

Wow. I'll chime in on this later I'm a bit stunned.

Re: Goodbye Ronaldo
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:17:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Recession my @#$%@#%

With this kind of money MU can improve greatly.
I guess Perez now won`t go after Ribery ;-)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:31:39 AM »

Offline cmbvale

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
He'll be missed, but 80 Millions is a ton of money. I'm sure Sir Alex will find a proper replacement.

Good riddance Ronny, thanks for your services.
Some want to be like Mike, i wanted to be like Ryan.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:21:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow.  I guess it was an offer they couldn't refuse, especially for a player who didn't want to be there (for whatever reason).  Man Utd will survive and continue to thrive, just like they did after losing Beckham.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
I agree. It is a bit obvious but the best thing is to sell players when they are at their highest price. Nontheless, this is not frequent among footbal owners who insist in keeping players longer than that and see their stars to decline and to lose market value. Of course, AC Milan is always there to pay big money for old former stars but...  ;D

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
96mil euros are too much. For any player. You can`t say no. Especialy in this case. CR wanted out. No reason to keep an unhappy player. And if you get the money to buy two top players even getter!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Thatīs exactly why every football fan with any dignity left should root against Real.
I hate how theyīre able to get almost any player they want, even if they have a fiscally irresponsible management.

Play by the rules, *******.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:48:32 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Roy, losing Beckham was nothing like losing Ronaldo. This guy is a superstar just entering his prime. Beckham couldn't hold his jock on his best day...This is a sad day...

Giggs is going to retire too...

I think they end up signing Ribeiry (and Tevez), or go after Ibrahimovic or Et'o.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:49:30 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
What`s the rule Real didn`t play by ?

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Roy, losing Beckham was nothing like losing Ronaldo. This guy is a superstar just entering his prime. Beckham couldn't hold his jock on his best day...This is a sad day...

Beckham was an amazing mid-fielder in his United days.  He was sold when he was, what, 28?  The situations aren't exactly the same (and I didn't say they were), but Beckham was widely regarded as one of the best players in the world.  Both transfers left United fans disappointed, and both bids were fairly exorbitant price tags.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
What`s the rule Real didn`t play by ?

I mean not a real rule, itīs more a code of conduct.
Ever since they got bailed out with the big investment in the 90ies, when they went on and bought Zidane, Ronaldo etc. a few years later, I put a question mark behind their success. Not to mention that itīs irresponsible to depend on an investor as your president to satisfy the completely exaggerated claims of their fans.

If they would be just succesful, Iīd have no problem with it. But they go out and buy the biggest stars available. Would you call it responsible to pay so much money for C. Ronaldo? At times like these? Where does all this money come from? ManU has a  fiscally more responsible and succesful management, I think they are the richest club in the world, yet they have to let Ronaldo go for that kind of money.

Real doesnīt build a team, they assemble a circus.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Money is useless if it can't buy you a replacement.

Man Utd can't replace Ronaldo. Very bad decision to let him go.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I see your point. I somewhat agree with your last sentence but you have to aknowledge that Zidan`s Real wasn`t just a group of all stars but a realy good team. You can say overpriced but good. I agree that this kind of money under todays circumstances can make anyone mad. But it`s a free market.

Not to mention that itīs irresponsible to depend on an investor as your president to satisfy the completely exaggerated claims of their fans.

Like Chelsea and Ambramovich ?
Like Milan and Berlusconi?
Like Juventus and Agnelis?
Like Man City and the Arabs?

Would you call it responsible to pay so much money for C. Ronaldo?

Real has more than 50.000 orders for Kaka`s kit And they haven`t even decided next years kits! When they spend an also ridiculous (but lower) amount on Beckham they covered it in 5 months. I mean they have their way of covering their expenses.
That`s one answer to your question where the money comes from. But i can`t deny the fact that football is a nice way to do some "laundry". But this is also true for many other teams that spent less.....  

Money is useless if it can't buy you a replacement.

Man Utd can't replace Ronaldo. Very bad decision to let him go.

Of course it`s not easy to find someone to walk into CR`s shoes but it`s a team sport. 

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Good luck, Ronny and THANKS.
I hate Real so I hope you don't
do too well, though.

maestro, cheer up, I'm sure
we'll find the player(s) that
can replace him.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8094720.stm

Wow. I'll chime in on this later I'm a bit stunned.
Stunned?

This has been rumored and being worked on for two years.  I guess I'm stunned that it took so long.  Truthfully, I'd rather have seen him stay and Tevez go, but now they might be able to keep Tevez.  Tevez seems to always make things happen and I believe is a better all around player.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."