Author Topic: Ball for Brown?  (Read 9237 times)

Re: Ball for Brown?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Talent level is comparable but it would be a far worse fit for the roster so I wouldn't do it.

And how did you come to this conclusion...?

In what universe is Ball even anywhere as talented as Brown? Brown may not have the best handles, or BBIQ, but he's certainly played more games, be a consistent contributor to a contender, can space the floor, and has better vertical/athleticism.

Honestly, besides passing, and handling, what does Ball even do better than Brown?
The Lakers were a better team with Ball then without Ball playing in a very large part because he is an excellent defender, rebounder, and passer.  He is never going to be a great scorer or shooter, but he did show improvement and got up to 33% on 5 3's a game (that is enough to keep opposing teams honest, though like Smart did for awhile he shoots too much).  Clearly needs to improve his FT shooting, work more on his shooting overall, and cut down his turnovers, but he absolutely impacts the game in a lot more ways than Brown does. 

Brown will never be a primary ball handler.  He is a terrible passer (even for his position).  He is a subpar rebounder.  He is a good, but not great shooter and scorer.  Brown is far more consistent, healthier, and right now a much better shooter/scorer, which is why I think the value comparison is close, but I suspect quite a few teams would rather have Ball than Brown (at least on the court, the off court stuff is another issue).  I just don't see the reason to intentionally get smaller when the team already has Walker and Smart.  The fit just isn't there.

I suspect that your suspicious are probably far from the truth... And while I typed out a full three paragraphs, but somehow clicked back and lost it. I'm not going to bother anymore.

Wings with Jaylen's size/athleticism and proven track record of shooting, 36.5% from 3PA is far more valuable than a PG that has size, but lacks shooting/scoring ability.....
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the ceiling for Lonzo Ball is a high level role player.

I do not the see the creative ability necessary to be a player you can build around. Either as a scorer or as a passer. Lonzo is creative in transition and moves the ball well in the halfcourt but he doesn't create enough in the halfcourt because he cannot get enough dribble penetration. So he doesn't pull defenses out of position well enough to frequently generate scoring opportunities for teammates. And obviously he cannot score. He is terrified of being fouled and having to shoot FTs. He has no midrange game. His perimeter game is dodgy too. It is not a good mix.

Ball defends well and rebounds well but he doesn't contribute enough offensively to be a guy you can build around.

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I do not the see the creative ability necessary to be a player you can build around. Either as a scorer or as a passer. Lonzo is creative in transition and moves the ball well in the halfcourt but he doesn't create enough in the halfcourt because he cannot get enough dribble penetration. So he doesn't pull defenses out of position well enough to frequently generate scoring opportunities for teammates. And obviously he cannot score. He is terrified of being fouled and having to shoot FTs. He has no midrange game. His perimeter game is dodgy too. It is not a good mix.

Ball defends well and rebounds well but he doesn't contribute enough offensively to be a guy you can build around.

Extremely fair evaluation Who. TP.

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
We're giving draft compensation for the Pelicans to upgrade from Ball to Brown??? Sounds like a Suns move than a Celtics move.

+1

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2019, 07:58:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't think anyone has said Ball is a #1 option type player.  He is very much in the Rondo mold of a player.  Of course Brown isn't that type of player either as his overall game just isn't good enough to be on that level.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip