Author Topic: Performance enhancers watch list  (Read 11881 times)

Performance enhancers watch list
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I know some people would rather not think of these things and are steroided out, but personally I feel kinda like I'd rather not be a sucker again and that I'd rather just acknowledge what I am seeing.

I went to PSU and love Penn State, but I am in relative disbelief over this kind of thing

according to espn and some links likely 1rst round pick Aaron Maybin since mid January has gained 25 pounds from 227 to 252 and at the same time lowered his 40 yard dash time from 4.7 to 4.6. 

I suppose it's possible to do that naturally. Maybe

Re: Performance enhancers watch list
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I know some people would rather not think of these things and are steroided out, but personally I feel kinda like I'd rather not be a sucker again and that I'd rather just acknowledge what I am seeing.

I went to PSU and love Penn State, but I am in relative disbelief over this kind of thing

according to espn and some links likely 1rst round pick Aaron Maybin since mid January has gained 25 pounds from 227 to 252 and at the same time lowered his 40 yard dash time from 4.7 to 4.6. 

I suppose it's possible to do that naturally. Maybe

You dont think that is possible?   According to scouts.com, (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1815759) in hs, he was 220 with a 40 time of 4.67.  so he didnt gain weight during college (maybe he wasnt that serious about working out) and now that his career depends on it, he is spending time lifting and working out all day every day.  the .1 second in the 40 time means next to nothing.  we all love to gawk at the times, but .1 second is tiny.  he could have gotten a better jump, he could have added leg muscle, he could have worked with a sprint coach, etc...

to me, there isnt a lot there to warrant a steroid suspicion.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's generally not too difficult for a guy to gain speed by losing weight, but not usually by adding it. Maybin is still in his young 20s so it's maybe easier for him, but his size is that of a linebacker, but he's running like a wide reciever, albeit a slow one and this improvement is only in a 2 month time. You add an interesting point. He didn't gain weight for 3 years, now all of a sudden he gains 25 lbs (which is a lot) in only 2 months.
And dropping your 40 time .1 seconds isn't so easy. Obviously it's a big enough deal that it matters to the pros and for most people if you strap a 25 lb weight to their back they don't go faster.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but it strikes me as very difficult, plus I think you partly answered your own question. ...His career is at stake. He was smaller and slower and he stood to earn millions by quickly changing that. What was the downside? He wouldn't be the first guy who got caught using and was still drafted in the 1rst round.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
It's generally not too difficult for a guy to gain speed by losing weight, but not usually by adding it. Maybin is still in his young 20s so it's maybe easier for him, but his size is that of a linebacker, but he's running like a wide reciever, albeit a slow one and this improvement is only in a 2 month time. You add an interesting point. He didn't gain weight for 3 years, now all of a sudden he gains 25 lbs (which is a lot) in only 2 months.
And dropping your 40 time .1 seconds isn't so easy. Obviously it's a big enough deal that it matters to the pros and for most people if you strap a 25 lb weight to their back they don't go faster.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but it strikes me as very difficult, plus I think you partly answered your own question. ...His career is at stake. He was smaller and slower and he stood to earn millions by quickly changing that. What was the downside? He wouldn't be the first guy who got caught using and was still drafted in the 1rst round.

I just dont see it.  I went from 135 pounds to 155 in a 2 month stretch of going to the gym (135 when I wasnt going, 155 when I was going 4 days a week).  No supplements except for 1 protein shake a day.  Since then I have added another 5 pounds.  my body fat is lower, so it isnt like I am adding 'bulk' necessarily, primarily lean muscle.  I would bet any amount that I am significantly faster now then I was then.  And I am no world class athlete, as I said, he may not have been serious about lifting weights in college.  get hooked up with these pro trainers and voila.  look at guys like Pedroia/Youks.  they go to APC in Arizona during the off season and both gain fair amounts of weight, but neither are bulkier as a result, and both have been in pro systems for x number of years.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I just dont see it.  I went from 135 pounds to 155 in a 2 month stretch of going to the gym (135 when I wasnt going, 155 when I was going 4 days a week).  No supplements except for 1 protein shake a day.  Since then I have added another 5 pounds.  my body fat is lower, so it isnt like I am adding 'bulk' necessarily, primarily lean muscle.  I would bet any amount that I am significantly faster now then I was then.  And I am no world class athlete, as I said, he may not have been serious about lifting weights in college.  get hooked up with these pro trainers and voila.  look at guys like Pedroia/Youks.  they go to APC in Arizona during the off season and both gain fair amounts of weight, but neither are bulkier as a result, and both have been in pro systems for x number of years.

I see what you are saying, but I would think to be a starting linebacker at PSU you have to be pretty serious about working out in the first place. You gained all that when you started working out for the first time in your life, but I just don't think that's what happened here. I'm sure even without enhancers he could have probably put on 15 lbs and sped up a little, but he did do something fairly amazing

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, if I played on the line for a D1 football team and had aspirations of doing steroids; this would be the time to do them.  That way, your NFL combine results are maximized and you do the majority of your bulking up before you get into the league and draw more scrutiny. 

I'm not trying to condone PED's, just saying that the timing here at least makes sense.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I see what you are saying, but I would think to be a starting linebacker at PSU you have to be pretty serious about working out in the first place. You gained all that when you started working out for the first time in your life, but I just don't think that's what happened here. I'm sure even without enhancers he could have probably put on 15 lbs and sped up a little, but he did do something fairly amazing

I mean, anything is possible, but that's why I referenced the MLB players.  they have not only played at D1 schools, but in pro systems, and they are still able to 'enhance' themselves in presumably clean ways. 

Since I dont know Maybin personally, I dont know if he was lazy and got by solely on natural talent at PSU and has recently decided to 'care'.

I guess, I just see a completely benign explanation to the evil one, and given that, I dont like pointing fingers or assuming steroids...but yes, anything is possible.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
That's a good question/point in relation to the baseball players. Can a guy who is in his 30s still enhance himself naturally even if he has been working out all along?  I guess he can switch things up or work out more or better, but generally speaking my understanding is that the answer is "no".

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
That's a good question/point in relation to the baseball players. Can a guy who is in his 30s still enhance himself naturally even if he has been working out all along?  I guess he can switch things up or work out more or better, but generally speaking my understanding is that the answer is "no".

call me naive, but I think you certainly can.  for the very reasons you mention.  Changing up the way you work out, you can see drastic changes.  Going from lifting 2 hours a day for 5 days, to lifting for 4 hours a day (this can also be detrimental, but not when you have professionals monitoring your every move).  changing eating habits, etc...

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
again, using API (Athletes' Performance Institute) as an example,

Coco Crisp had this to say:
"It's a lot different than what I've done in the past living in California. I had like a beach workout," Crisp said. "Coming out here, they have a whole bunch of weird stuff, but I think it was good."

"It was fun, it helped out in different aspects -- they teach you a better form of running and working out some spots in my body I've never worked out before," Crisp said. "That's a good thing."

He also noted he gained weight.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3841440&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

also:
Those workouts started at 9 a.m. with a two-hour session devoted to speed work. After that came two more hours of baseball-related drills, followed by two hours of lifting weights. The session was then completed with another round of conditioning.
http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_039120300?keyword=secondarystory

So maybe during the season Maybin couldnt devote 6+ hours to working out.  but, now that it is in training for one particular workout, maybe he is.

There are tons of stories of guys going to API (football - before the combine), baseball, etc...all getting faster and stronger.  now, maybe there is something shady going on, I just dont think it is a reach to think it is possible for pro athletes, never mind a college kid to dedicate themselves to something new and see drastic gains.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'd say Michael Phelps is also a case worth watching. Especially since we know he has a nonchalant attitude towards drugs.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
In my NFL draft mag there is an o-lineman who is supposedly 382lbs and runs a 5.47.  It kinda reminds me of when Dan Wilkinson was 315lbs and ran a 4.7 as a sophomore. Then he got to the league and was mediocre (possibly cause he stopped using to avoid testing positive)

That's warp speed for someone so big. It would be like if a Summo Wrestler could do it in 5.8 seconds. Which would be an interesting experiment. It's amazing they can walk

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I am sorry but I just looked at a pic of Vince Wilfork in the Boston Herald and I find it amazing he can move let alone play in the NFL. He looks like a huge Pillsbury Doughboy. How someone like that can move fast enough to not be completely dominated by an NFL center is beyond me

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Lindsay Davenport... She HAD to have been on steroids. Either that or she was truly a man...

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Lindsay Davenport... She HAD to have been on steroids. Either that or she was truly a man...
TP...LOL,i agree what about Serena,she's built like a brickhouse also?lol.