Author Topic: Rebuild Idea: Trade Tatum/Smart for Doncic?  (Read 5403 times)

Rebuild Idea: Trade Tatum/Smart for Doncic?
« on: January 03, 2021, 10:21:06 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Let’s say we’re at the deadline and clearly the team is faltering with the only silver lining being that JB is clearly the future of the franchise rather than Tatum as we all expected (look at Tatum’s pass to JB when the pressure was on rather than risking missing a game winning shot opportunity against the Pistons back-to-back...JB nailed it and then with no real pressure Tatum took a shot knowing a tie was the worst that could happen...JB is clearly the alpha now and Tatum is the pretender).

Would you be open to the following trade, and spending next offseason trying to find a number three guy to pair with JB and Doncic:

https://tradenba.com/trades/wTjFdoPq1

To DAL:

Tatum
Smart
‘21 BOS 1st
‘23 BOS 1st
‘25 BOS 1st
‘21 DAL 1st (Via NYK)

To NYK:

Walker

To BOS:

Doncic (perhaps has some sort of issue with living in Dallas)
Hardaway Jr. (expiring contract, perhaps they’ve told Dallas they’re leaving)
Johnson (expiring contract, perhaps they’ve told Dallas they’re leaving)
Ntilikina (expiring contract, to make dollars work with NYK)
Tyrell Terry (make the cap work)
Get down to 15 men by moving a couple cheap contracts for absurdly protected 2nds and/or seeing if Miami/Warriors would make a deal for Hardaway

Obvious next move: Re-sign Doncic to the max, and he probably insists on a no trade-clause. We would go into the 2022 offseason with Doncic on the last year of his rookie contract and following guaranteed contracts (we could literally opt out of all other rookie contracts if we wanted to save space):

JB
TT
Pritchard
Nesmith

In other words, with JB and Doncic as our superstar duo, we have cap room to build a big three if we stick with the young kids and sign a bunch of one-year contracts, thereby leaving us with only JB and Doncic on the books come 2022 off-season (and probably Pritchard, maybe Nesmith). If Kawhi opts out in 2021, you still have that option in 2021, but otherwise it probably makes more sense to be patient for 2022 with these potential options:

Kawhi
Harden
Durant
Steph Curry
Butler
Beal

If we skip on a major free agent in 2021 and 2022 while still maintaining flexibility going into 2023, here are potential options that offseason:

Jokic
Harden
Durant
Butler
Beal
Porzingis

I don’t know about you guys, but this route sounds better to me than being restricted by JB’s and Tatum’s contracts next off-season (and continuing to be stuck with the Kemba albatross...gotta somehow move him home to the Knicks).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:47:48 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Rebuild Idea: Trade Tatum/Smart for Doncic?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
yet another "blow it all up and give away everything" trade idea from you.  how unimaginative.  ::)

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:31:23 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
yet another "blow it all up and give away everything" trade idea from you.  how unimaginative.  ::)

Yep. I don’t think a team that struggles against the 2020-2021 Pistons is a serious contender. And we’re out of most assets other than Tatum and JB, so yes I’d like to blow it up if we do not progress by the deadline, and start all over again. It’s been almost 8 years since the last rebuild and if the result is being a borderline playoff team, I think it’s pretty obvious what has to happen (i.e., Danny needs to go and we need to choose JB or Tatum as we rebuild—if we can turn our last assets into Doncic while maintaining JB and cap flexibility for a marquee free agent, a real Big 3, heck yeah I’m all over that)

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:36:22 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Yep. I don’t think a team that struggles against the 2020-2021 Pistons is a serious contender. And we’re out of assets other than Tatum and JB, so yes I’d like to blow it up and start all over again. It’s been almost 8 years since the last rebuild.

how about a team that struggles against washington, memphis, and charlotte?

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:40:29 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Yep. I don’t think a team that struggles against the 2020-2021 Pistons is a serious contender. And we’re out of assets other than Tatum and JB, so yes I’d like to blow it up and start all over again. It’s been almost 8 years since the last rebuild.

Certainly sounds like our future if we maintain the status quo.

Unlike us, Doncic and Co. have beat the Heat and the Clippers. If not for our win over the Bucks, I’d have stomach ulcers right now.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:50:15 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Unlike us, Doncic and Co. have beat the Heat and the Clippers. If not for our win over the Bucks, I’d have stomach ulcers right now.

well then the nets should blow it up, they didn't just struggle though, they lost

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 10:57:10 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

well then the nets should blow it up, they didn't just struggle though, they lost

We’re 1-1 against the Pistons and lost 3 of 4 quarters against them tonight. It’s utterly embarrassing. Folks are dreaming if they think we’re going anywhere this year.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 11:13:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yep. I don’t think a team that struggles against the 2020-2021 Pistons is a serious contender. And we’re out of most assets other than Tatum and JB, so yes I’d like to blow it up if we do not progress by the deadline, and start all over again. It’s been almost 8 years since the last rebuild and if the result is being a borderline playoff team, I think it’s pretty obvious what has to happen (i.e., Danny needs to go and we need to choose JB or Tatum as we rebuild—if we can turn our last assets into Doncic while maintaining JB and cap flexibility for a marquee free agent, a real Big 3, heck yeah I’m all over that)
well then don't strain yourself putting any thought into anything then because every team struggles.  EVERY TEAM. 

The team has got 2 fantastic building blocks for a good run.  Kemba and Smart make for good complimentary players.

Unfortunately, despite all of Danny's wheeling and dealing, he did not maximize the assets he acquired (principally, the draft picks he either had to use on draft and stash players or basically gave away for lesser assets) and we're not in a better position than we are now.  Didn't help that Hayward bailed for more money instead of wanting to stay and play on a contender (if he resigns with us, we're definitely in the contention discussion). 

You're not going to wheel and deal this team into a contender by getting rid of Tatum or Brown.  If you want to contend, you add to them.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Losing one game to an inferior team is something that happens to every team lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 11:17:03 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I love these type of threads.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cuban is not trading Doncic. Next!!

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 11:30:34 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Just three months ago this same team led by Tatum did very well in the playoffs while Tatum played like an MVP candidate.  I don’t understand how many people here have forgotten this.  I’m going to start posting this video in various threads.

https://youtu.be/C6ufImch00g

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 11:37:43 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Just three months ago this same team led by Tatum did very well in the playoffs while Tatum played like an MVP candidate.  I don’t understand how many people here have forgotten this.  I’m going to start posting this video in various threads.

https://youtu.be/C6ufImch00g

It’s not the same team. Kemba might be toast and Gordo is gonzo.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:39:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Doncic 1st needs to layoff the hot dogs and beers

He is chubby at the moment

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 11:46:41 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Cuban is not trading Doncic. Next!!

For four first-round picks, Tatum maxed out, and Smart (TX native son), he might listen, particularly if Doncic decides to make it clear that he doesn’t want to be in Dallas forever and could pull the stunt of signing a one year offer in RFA that Dallas has to match, thereby making Doncic an UFA before he’s 25 years old (and basically forcing Dallas to trade him after just two more seasons).

If you’re Doncic, you want to be in one of the basketball meccas, not Dallas. What European really wants to be in Dallas, anyway? Dirk stayed because he could only ever get max deals there, or the other places he could were no better than Dallas. As we know, Doncic is in another league compared to Dirk.

When you’re the best or second best player in the league, which Doncic will be in 2-3 years, Boston or LA always makes the most sense in the NBA unless you’re from another American city, which Doncic is not. I really do believe we could have him someday...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:54:59 PM by GreenlyGreeny »