Author Topic: I’m not blaming anybody  (Read 1236 times)

I’m not blaming anybody
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
First of all, what we’re seeing is a player/chemistry issue. The NBA is without a doubt a players league.  It was clear early on that the pieces do not fit together, too many guys needing the ball, too many guys that need to pound the ball to score.  Not nearly enough guys that like to catch and shoot.  The mixture of the old and the young players trying to make their name.

But I don’t see any way to actually “blame” Danny for this.  He signed star players in free agency.  Horford is not a superstar but is still underrated.  We need more players like him, not less.  He signed Hayward and we know what happened there.  He traded the corpse of IT for a future HOF’er in his prime.  Even the Mook trade was not bad.

He hit home runs in the draft.  Tatum very talented.  Brown was a hit. Rozier, for as much as he drives me nuts was a hit.  Free agents like Baynes and Theis were hits.

So how do you blame a GM for bringing in really good players?  You can’t.  The fact is, this would be a better team right now if da had drafted lesser prospects like Markkanan in Chicago (instead of Tatum for example).  But how do you pass up a better prospect in the name of chemistry?  You can’t.  You get the best players.

Now, I’m sure people will point right back to stevens.  And yes, he pointed the finger at himself last night.  He’s supposed to do that.  Indeed, he and mook were basically giving the same message.  Everyone needs to point at themselves and ask what they can do.

But ultimately, the combination of players have us in this mess, and only the players will get us out of it.

Re: I’m not blaming anybody
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Danny and CBS have done a good job. No denying this.

We have assets that can probably get us AD. But we've got to hold on to them until July 1st.

The problem is those assets aren't fitting right now on their current team. Basically because they all relatively play the same position.

This forces CBS to constantly play small and keep guys on the bench longer than normal.  This hurts our team defense and probably gets players out of rhythm.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Last two games have been atrocious, no doubt. But the mass panic movement after every loss is apsurd. Last year we had a problem, where we had slow starts, and usually climbed our way back into games, this year the problem is not going for the kill, shuting the doors.
I would much rather have the latter problem, things will sort themselves out, confident about it.
It has been a long season, with guys serching and finding new roles, bunch of AD rumors, hayward making his way back, but the negativity is the real problem.

20 games to go, pretty much our goal is to be top 4 and enterance in the semmis is a guarantee, after that, anything can happen, but call me biased, but i don't really see anyone on the east out playing us is a 7 game series.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I get the frustration , i get being concerned but the things i ve been reading the last days...

This awful team that underperforms , with chemistry issues , with a cripple wasting valuable game minutes  , o weak coach should should be acting like a clown on the bench is tied with the powerhouse from phily , is 2 wins from the 3rd seed and 14-7 since jan 1 which is not perfect but a 55wins pace is pretty good

If it wasn't for the logo and the colors someone could think this is a pistons' forum or hornets'.......

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We are a much better team with Kyrie and Baynes.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I still blame Stevens. It's easier to coach when you don't have as much talent because motivating players isn't really necessary. They are trying to play for bigger roles and contracts. When you have talented players you have to find ways to put all of them in positions to succeed while also making sure you win...he hasn't done this. Kyrie and Hayward have shown poor leadership. The vets haven't shown leadership. Morris Jack's a 3 last night and they still got a layup when Morris and Horford jogged back. Stevens should've yanked Horford and Morris after that sequence.

The young guys don't want to hear a word unless the vets are doing their part and they aren't. Lately when Rozier and Brown come in they've stretched the leads by playing uptempo. Stevens took out the entire group that was playing well for the starters to finish vs the Lakers even though Kyrie, Hayward and Morris had done nothing all game.

Play the guys that play to win and that may not happen every night. I know exactly when substitutions are being made every game...no matter if a guy is hot or cold. Stevens doesn't feed the hot hand enough.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
We have to get the 3rd seed because you don't want to be the 4th or 5th seed playing Indy or Philly.

I'm not even sure homecourt is an advantage with this team. You can't tell when or where they will play hard.

I know people are hesitant to want to blame Stevens because he's a good coach but he has to make tough adjustments and not be afraid of guys being upset. Good let them get upset, maybe they will play harder the next game. Now is the time to figure out who's made of what...not in April.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I still blame Stevens. It's easier to coach when you don't have as much talent because motivating players isn't really necessary. They are trying to play for bigger roles and contracts. When you have talented players you have to find ways to put all of them in positions to succeed while also making sure you win...he hasn't done this. Kyrie and Hayward have shown poor leadership. The vets haven't shown leadership. Morris Jack's a 3 last night and they still got a layup when Morris and Horford jogged back. Stevens should've yanked Horford and Morris after that sequence.

The young guys don't want to hear a word unless the vets are doing their part and they aren't. Lately when Rozier and Brown come in they've stretched the leads by playing uptempo. Stevens took out the entire group that was playing well for the starters to finish vs the Lakers even though Kyrie, Hayward and Morris had done nothing all game.

Play the guys that play to win and that may not happen every night. I know exactly when substitutions are being made every game...no matter if a guy is hot or cold. Stevens doesn't feed the hot hand enough.
You want to know why it’s  easier to coach with less talent.  Expectations.  That’s it.  The expectations this year were over the moon.  This team was bound to underperform. 

So it’s not a coaching thing at all.  It’s a perception thing.

Fans have a way of looking st the best case scenario with their expectations.  Why do you think the models seem to underestimate the extremes?  The warriors are expected to win how many games?  The Celtics only 60 games?  Because they don’t use best case at the most likely outcome like the fans do.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:33:59 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

We have assets that can probably get us AD. But we've got to hold on to them until July 1st.

The problem is those assets aren't fitting right now on their current team. Basically because they all relatively play the same position.

This forces CBS to constantly play small and keep guys on the bench longer than normal.  This hurts our team defense and probably gets players out of rhythm.

Let’s be honest...the team could lose every game for the rest of the year and you and the other BS supporters would not blame him for the losses. Again, when the C’s win it proves Stevens is a great coach and win they lose it is the players fault.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 10:35:56 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
LOL watch the games man...it's the coaching. I rarely ever watch the ball. I watch off the ball and focus on certain players most of the time. I see Kyrie jogging and not really closing out on guys all over the court. The rotations are slow and lazy and Stevens takes no one out for poor play. He should've been tossed last night for no other reason then to show some fire to his own team to play harder.

Anyone can see this is a coaching issue. He's letting the team run the team and he's not navigating the dangers and pitfalls.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Let’s be honest...the team could lose every game for the rest of the year and you and the other BS supporters would not blame him for the losses. Again, when the C’s win it proves Stevens is a great coach and win they lose it is the players fault.

Lol, the guy is easily a top 5 Nba coach. Did he make some mistakes last night?...yes...he even admitted to it.

Do I want a new coach?...hell no
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Let's be honest the team could win every game for the rest of the season and the playoffs and you and the rest of the never satisfied club would still find something to complain

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
No one is calling for Stevens to be fired but he should be 75% responsible. Ainge gave him more talent than he's ever had and most coaches never have. He needs to figure out a solid rotation without fear or favor.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
No one is calling for Stevens to be fired but he should be 75% responsible. Ainge gave him more talent than he's ever had and most coaches never have. He needs to figure out a solid rotation without fear or favor.

I think the 'more talent' thing went out the window after we saw what kind-of player Hayward was to start the season. The death line-up of the east never was and Stevens had to scramble to find something that would work. Enter Smart and Morris, both bench players last year, who apparently were expected to be all-star caliber players.

Have there been chemistry issues? Of course, but Brown seems to have ironed out his problems and even Rozier is coming along better. Hayward is a work in progress, but I can't imagine he is the one ruffling feathers.

I've said it before, but if it wasn't for the Rose Rule, this whole situation would be taken care of right now. A clear hierarchy would be achieved and the log-jam would no longer be an issue. It stinks to have to wait until July 1st, but that's where we're at.

We have a couple months to learn to play together again. I don't really care what seed we get unless it's #2 (that's not happening). Even if were at #5, the Pacers don't have Oladipo anymore so we should be able to win that series. We were always going to be on the road after that anyway, so let's just hope we gain some semblance of teamwork going into the playoffs and figure it out from there.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brad has a tough job. He obviously prepares well and generally is pretty successful.

He seems to do best when his players are young and need a system to succeed. Jury is still out on how well he can coach vets.

Bottom line: He will go as far as he has Kyrie’s vote of confidence.