Author Topic: Stevens should be on the hot seat  (Read 5547 times)

Re: Stevens should be on the hot seat
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 05:46:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am and was a huge CBS supporter but even I think he is struggling with the talent that he presently.   He is best at coaching plucky scrappy underdogs with a more talent roster not so much.

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Irving got injured.

It's all Brad's fault.

LOL

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Brad Stevens can come on over and date my daughter. Stop all this.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 07:49:26 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Blow a 28 point lead at home to a now bad Clippers team who gutted their roster just 3 days ago is one of the most worst lost i can remember..i said they get beat in 2nd round but now im thinking 1st...is july 1st here yet?????
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 08:31:01 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
It’s very interesting how to a man, all the Kyrie haters refuse to say a single bad word about Stevens, but Kyrie can drop 40-10-5 in a win against a conference rival, and that’s somehow worse than blowing a 28 point lead vs a garbage team.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I love Brad Stevens and the last two years were amazing but I think he's currently in over his head with this roster.

I think this season is far from over though. Could get better, could get worse.

All I know is that the last two seasons were way better than what we have this year and I think it has to do with the way the team chemistry is developing.

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We can criticize x's and o's and rotations all we want.  What I don't understand is the people who want to put Brad on the hot seat for not "putting players in their place".  We live in an era where millionaire players don't respond to tough coaching.  I'm also curious as to who we would expect to do a better job?  Is there a recent precedent for the Celtics current roster mix?  Maybe OKC from 2011-12 but their elite talent was better and they weren't as deep, which meant that roles were easily defined.

Second, shouldn't we expect coaches to grow as they gain more experience?  Whether we go on a run or not, I'm sure Brad will have plenty to reflect on in the off-season.  I hate the idea of canning the coach as soon as he runs into a difficult season.  The only exception is if the entire locker room doesn't respect him, which I highly doubt.       

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I am and was a huge CBS supporter but even I think he is struggling with the talent that he presently.   He is best at coaching plucky scrappy underdogs with a more talent roster not so much.

yes , young brite eyed kids, no worries, no family  , not zillion dollar divas with twelve mistresses and 16 babies.   That was docs forte ,  azz kisser for the divas.  How to motivate players that have everything already given to them . 

I think hink that is the big challenge in NBA.    In college the coach is highest paid member of the team and big cheese.  In NBA ,  todays players take over and the coach is left wringing his hands " what to do ?".  How do i get them to do what I want? 

Military is simular ,  people over 30 have more sense than to march across a battle field and get killed for nothing.   Ever see a 60 year with a bomb tied to,his back ?

I guess people want dried up old prune zombie looking Phil Jackson .

Its a learning process for Stevens .  Just like Eric Spostra was beaten down by Bron and Wade , he took all the blame when they could not win .  Only tuff old buzzard Pat saved him .  Now he does good job with everything.  It took a while to harden his heart. It will be th same for CBS .   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:49:27 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 09:43:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure it should be characterized as a hot seat but on the other hand, he should not be given a pass either.  I remember that there was tons of criticism of Doc which I didn't buy into but teams always played hard for Doc.

Stevens should have been a coach of the year, even decade, for how he got the team (without Irving and Hayward) to perform in the season and playoffs.  Is it possible that the coach from last season has become a bad coach or never was a good coach?  I don't know but even if he is still a good coach, he is not coaching well this season.  There should be more urgency.  The team should be playing better.

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
My only criticism is small ball all the time and how long Smart stays on the bench.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Motivation is the key.  If he can’t motivate and or the team can’t self motivate we’re done.  The team needs to decide who they want to be

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
My only criticism is small ball all the time and how long Smart stays on the bench.

It's funny how Celtics fans are mad Smart is on the bench now.

When the guy couldn't hit a shot everyone wanted him gone.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I love Brad Stevens and the last two years were amazing but I think he's currently in over his head with this roster.

I think this season is far from over though. Could get better, could get worse.

All I know is that the last two seasons were way better than what we have this year and I think it has to do with the way the team chemistry is developing.

If you think Stevens has it bad......how do you feel about Walton's job out in LA?

Half the team was offered up and almost out the door....on top of that dealing with Lonzo's dad and then the whole LeBron culture.

I think both coaches have done an amazing job in an incredibly difficult position.

Lakers were a top 4 seed team before injuries.

C's were a .500 ball club and now vying for a top 4 seed as well.

Considering how BOTH teams are severely fractured within.....it's been a pleasant surprise.

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Part of a coach’s job is to get players to respond. This team clearly doesn’t respond to what Stevens says at halftime. I know if the team was playing like this under Doc, the Stevens supporters would have no problem saying the coach is a big part of the problem.

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Part of a coach’s job is to get players to respond. This team clearly doesn’t respond to what Stevens says at halftime. I know if the team was playing like this under Doc, the Stevens supporters would have no problem saying the coach is a big part of the problem.

Give Morris a coach decision DNP and let’s see how the team responds.