Author Topic: Why in the world would Celtics trade all theses assets for AD  (Read 5001 times)

Re: Why in the world would Celtics trade all theses assets for AD
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2019, 05:58:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When we got KG people thought he was not winner either, as he never had success in the playoffs.   I guess many forgot this happening?

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2019, 06:06:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I hate to be that guy but Anthony Davis is not as good as Kevin Garnett was. Anthony Davis puts up monster stats but i'm not feeling his overall impact on the game. However, Kevin Garnett could completely take over a game with his defense alone. A Kyrie and AD core is not enough to get this team over the top. Ainge trading the whole team for AD is a mistake. Ainge should be pulling out all the stops to get Kevin Durant instead.
Disagree. AD is the best big man of this generation, and is a better offensive talent than KG ever was, and the defensive gap isn't that far. I think they're very similar in terms of talent and impact.

How would DA go after Durant though? We have no cap space, and I'm pretty darn confident Golden State wouldn't trade him to us so that we can beat them in the Finals

Davis is probably a better offensive player, but defensively he cannot hold a candle to Garnett. Davis gets a lot of blocks and steals but Garnett was the quarterback of the entire defense. He was the lynch pin in one of the greatest defenses I've ever seen. I have not seen anything remotely similar happening in New Orleans on the defensive end. I would take Garnett and his good offense+historic defense over AD and his great offense and good defense.
If KG was a historically good defender then AD is arguably a historically good scorer. 3 years in a row where he's averaged at least 28PPG with an EFG% of 53.5, all while being a below average 3 point shooter.

I'd rather take KG, especially considering we saw firsthand what he did here, but to say AD can't hold a candle to KG defensively I think is plain incorrect. Anthony Davis is probably a top 3 big defender of his generation, just like KG was alongside Ben Wallace and Tim Duncan
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
When we got KG people thought he was not winner either, as he never had success in the playoffs.   I guess many forgot this happening?
I think most people recognized KG didn't play with much talent, but even still he was leading Minnesota to winning records and the playoffs year in and year out.  Davis hasn't been able to do that.  Even when he is healthy (which isn't as much as you would like) the Pelicans haven't been winning very many games.  I mean KG missed the playoffs his rookie year, but the Wolves were at least a 40 win team every single season until his last 2 seasons there were they were a low 30's win team (there was the shortened season but they were a .500 team so on pace for 40 wins).  Davis has led a 40 win team just twice in his first 6 seasons.  There seems to be something to the idea that Davis doesn't lead to wins like you would expect someone of his talent to.  I mean look at all the historically great players, they win a lot more than Davis' teams.  I don't think Davis is necessarily empty stats, but I do have concerns about his ability to lead a team.

that said, I would absolutely trade Tatum, Smart, filler, and the draft picks for Davis and wouldn't give it a second thought as he fits much better with Irving and Hayward's timelines, and would elevate Boston to a higher level and make it a more consistent contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

so true