Author Topic: Why in the world would Celtics trade all theses assets for AD  (Read 5000 times)

Re: Why in the world would Celtics trade all theses assets for AD
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
If NO will take it, this offer should work financially:

Griz pick, 2019 Sac + Boston pick, future Boston pick, Tatum, Yabu, MLE guy, if needed Semi or RW3

For

Anthony Davis

That offer should total $22m+ which gets it done.

Well then the C’s won’t get him. Those draft picks don’t mean much anymore. You will have to throw in a better player with Tatum.

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
 Which team has a 20yo like Tatum and  lottery picks to offer?

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Pelicans were stupid. They should of taken the Lakers offer.

The only reason they should have “taken the Lakers offer” is to align with your agenda. It certainly wasn’t in their best interest.

LOL. My agenda? I have no agenda.

The Laker offer was a good one. They beat us with those players.

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Griz pick, 2019 Sac + Boston pick, future Boston pick, Tatum, Yabu, MLE guy, if needed Semi or RW3

For

Anthony Davis

Well then the C’s won’t get him. Those draft picks don’t mean much anymore. You will have to throw in a better player with Tatum.

But why? What else is New Orleans going to do? Keep him?

What do the Clippers have to offer? Gilgeous-Alexander and Shamet, wow great.
The Bucks have nothing but sign-and-trades.
Philly doesn't have much either besides Simmons.
Denver doesn't seem interested.
Phoenix is unlikely to give up Booker or Ayton.

The Lakers have nothing more to offer than they already did.
The Knicks seem to be our biggest competition, but first they need some luck in the lottery and second are they really going to risk everything for a rental in Davis? They really have to empty almost their complete roster if only for salary matching purposes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:14:59 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

The only reason they should have “taken the Lakers offer” is to align with your agenda. It certainly wasn’t in their best interest.

What kind of argument is that? Using this flawed logic they shouldn't even play in the NBA cause Indiana without Oladipo dropped 40 points on them!

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 04:14:16 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't think they beat us, but it was a good offer.
At least enough to negotiate about, unless Ball really didn't want to go to New Orleans and no 3rd team was to be found to take him. But New Orleans just didn't want to send Davis to the Lakers.

New Orleans takes a big risk by not shutting him down for the season, a heavy injury to Davis would be devastating for their future.

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I don't think they beat us, but it was a good offer.
At least enough to negotiate about, unless Ball really didn't want to go to New Orleans and no 3rd team was to be found to take him. But New Orleans just didn't want to send Davis to the Lakers.

New Orleans takes a big risk by not shutting him down for the season, a heavy injury to Davis would be devastating for their future.

New Orleans will rue the day they did not take that offer. Those young players are going to be better than people realize.

Now they are stuck with the disaster of their fans booing their best player.

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

For

Anthony Davis

Yes, that should be our maximum offer.

Ya those 4 guys don't quite get us there, Tatum, Yabu, Williams, MLE-Guy would get us to around 17.5. Keep in mind we need 21.6 to match salaries for AD, and the MLE guy would have a max salary next year  of around 4.6 because his salary would be 120% of the mid level we have this year. We could wait to sign the draft picks and then use the salary to match, if the Kings end up just missing the playoffs (14th pick at 2.85) and we add our pick (25th ish at 1.74) and that gets us there. But if we finish like  3rd in east, and Kings make it that tightens. And on top of that AD would need to waive his trade kicker because if he doesn't we have to match like 24.5.

AD has to waive his trade kicker and then I think it could be done, but it is real close.

But I stay with my previous standpoint that if Tatum goes, than Irving/Smart/Brown are off the table.

Maybe we have to expand the trade then with Hayward or Horford, and Rozier (in a S+T).

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Depends how you rank the players. Let’s keep Zubac in since he was part of the deadline offer. How do you rank the likely assets (sans picks):

Zubac
Ingram
Kuzma
Ball
Hart
Brown
Tatum
Smart
Williams

If Tatum is #1 in the rankings I think it’s easy to see how Pels would wait.  In the NBA best player often  beats 2 second bests.  And I might argue that Smart (everything considered, including contract) is the 2nd most valuable of the bunch with Brown about even with Ingram and Kuzma. 

You could make an argument that the LA offer would beat the likely Boston offer, but not sure you’d win that argument.

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 04:28:12 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Have you seen AD play ?????????????????????

He is really good; and yet, has not carried his team past the first round.  Heck, I am not sure he could carry NO to the 8th place this season.

I like AD, but he needs us more than we need him;  we did get to the EC finals without him—-  twice!

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 04:29:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Depends how you rank the players. Let’s keep Zubac in since he was part of the deadline offer. How do you rank the likely assets (sans picks):

Zubac
Ingram
Kuzma
Ball
Hart
Brown
Tatum
Smart
Williams

If Tatum is #1 in the rankings I think it’s easy to see how Pels would wait.  In the NBA best player often  beats 2 second bests.  And I might argue that Smart (everything considered, including contract) is the 2nd most valuable of the bunch with Brown about even with Ingram and Kuzma. 

You could make an argument that LA the offer would beat the likely Boston offer, but not sure you’d win that argument.

I love rankings  8), mine:

1.Tatum A
2.Brown A-
3.Kuzma B+
4.Smart B
5.Ingram B-
6.Ball C+
7.Williams C
8.Zubac C-
9.Hart D+

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Have you seen AD play ?????????????????????

He is really good; and yet, has not carried his team past the first round.  Heck, I am not sure he could carry NO to the 8th place this season.

I like AD, but he needs us more than we need him;  we did get to the EC finals without him—-  twice!

So why do we care about KI?trade him for picks...

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
they shouldnt.

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
NO went 20-8 to finish the season last year without Cousins, with AD going 31/12 and 3+ blocks. 

How is Davis taking that team anywhere? He's got Holiday and not much else. Maybe a more ball dominant player like Lebron could drag that team to an 8th seed, but there's no level that AD could play at to improve that team much.

It's foolish to downgrade how amazing of a player he is. But by the same token, it would be foolish of Ainge to give up a lot for him if he's not totally convinced that he'll resign. And by a lot I mean Jayson Tatum, because that's what NO wants. They didn't say no to LA's offer just out of spite, they said no because they don't want the Lakers detritus of Ingram, Ball, etc., they want Tatum.

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 05:08:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Some folks here - back in 2007 - thought that we gave up too much for KG....

I think we ALL can agree that that turned out for the best.

AD is no KG but he's close.

Get him to BOS and he'll be sipping the Green Koolaid soon enough. And he'll give a glass of it to his Dad.

Danny Ainge did a MASTERFUL job bringing in talent...pieces..that propelled us to Banner 17 and we should've had Banner 18, too - if not for KG's fateful visit to Utah in 08.........

If we end up gutting this team Danny will build it back up.