Author Topic: How crazy will the 2019-20 media scene be if Davis ends up here?  (Read 894 times)

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
This is something I've been thinking about for a while: The past week has been simply exhausting for Celtics coverage. Between Rich Paul conspiracy theories, the world analyzing every sound Kyrie makes and the trade deadline, I'm not sure I could take another week of it. Which is what makes me nervous about the entire year if AD ends up here.

How will the media treat the situation if we actually get him? Will it be a full year of Rich Paul theories, that he is secretly plotting to get AD to LA to help LeBron? Are we going to hear the media claim that there are "rumblings of discontent in the Celtics locker room" every time they lose a game that they should have won? How much worse will the coverage get if Kyrie signs a one and one? Etc.

Enquiring minds want to know (because we sure as hell don't want to see Bezos naked).

Mike

Re: How crazy will the 2019-20 media scene be if Davis ends up here?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:05:28 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
This is something I've been thinking about for a while: The past week has been simply exhausting for Celtics coverage. Between Rich Paul conspiracy theories, the world analyzing every sound Kyrie makes and the trade deadline, I'm not sure I could take another week of it. Which is what makes me nervous about the entire year if AD ends up here.

How will the media treat the situation if we actually get him? Will it be a full year of Rich Paul theories, that he is secretly plotting to get AD to LA to help LeBron? Are we going to hear the media claim that there are "rumblings of discontent in the Celtics locker room" every time they lose a game that they should have won? How much worse will the coverage get if Kyrie signs a one and one? Etc.

Enquiring minds want to know (because we sure as hell don't want to see Bezos naked).

Mike

Wont be as crazy as if we get Davis AND Durant

8)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It will be better than if we don't get him. 

Honestly, I think he will be happy to be here if we get him.  I believe the talk of him not wanting to come here was coming from Rich Paul and Lebron.  We'll have an excellent team with a chance to win a title.  That's all a player can ask for.  (Unless you're Durant and want to be handed rings).  We have a great coach, a supportive ownership, and Kyrie who will share the "superstar" burden.  And I think he and Kyrie are friends.

Other guys that have come to Boston have been very happy here.  Garnett and Pierce will certainly talk to him about it.

The talk about IT is ridiculous.  Was Ainge supposed to roll out the Brinks trucks and tie the team's future to him?  He has barely played and is currently on his third team since being traded.  Even the Lakers had him last season and had no interest in keeping him.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how exactly would the Lakers acquire AD if they don't trade for him this summer?? Lets say they sign a max FA this summer. Aren't they out of cap space? And then AD hits FA in 2021 so unless he's signing with the Lakers for an exception then I think this summer is their last chance to get him. And I doubt LAL stays pat in Free Agency just waiting for AD (saving cap space)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It'll be non-stop.

But we would also be watching Kyrie and AD every night.

So ... first world problems.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It'll be non-stop.

2007-2011 wasn't a bad thing you are saying?

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't think there's been much of a media circus with Kawhi currently, and I don't think there was much of a media circus last year with Paul George.  If the the C's get AD, I don't think it will be that bad.  There will be a game or two (like when the C's play in LA) that may get some questions, but it won't be anything out of the ordinary.

The only reason there's been a media circus lately is because several new dominoes fell all at once right around the trade deadline (AD trade request, Porzingis trade, etc.).  If the C's trade for AD, there's not really going to be any new dominoes to fall next season that will re-ignite rumors.

LAL for instance, we'll probably know their cap situation for the summer of '20 by the start of next season, so there's not going to be a surprise trade (like Porzingis) that suddenly clears cap room so they can make a run at him, adding new speculation.  The only  way that would change is if LeBron has some devastating injury or gets traded (or if AD changes agents again), and then that will bring up questions if AD still wants to go to the Lakers now that LeBron has torn his ACL and been traded to Memphis.

There'll be a few questions when he gets here, occasional questions during the season, and you'll get the same vanilla answers players always give: "I'm not even thinking about that, I'm just concentrating on this season."

No circus.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:47:48 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure the morons on Sports Hub will promptly get to trying to pick apart Davis.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It'll be non-stop.

2007-2011 wasn't a bad thing you are saying?

You're leaving out 2012, which was my favorite season of the KG era.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I mean I don't think any crazier than warriors this year with the all star starting lineup or Lebron in la la land this year. 

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not quite as crazy, if Kyrie leaves and we don't get Davis.

Then Ainge would look like a doofus.