Author Topic: Any chance at bringing back Rondo in off-season?  (Read 2527 times)

Re: Any chance at bringing back Rondo in off-season?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 06:47:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In a heartbeat. He’s the complete anti-Rozier
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Quote from: rocknrollforyoursoul link=topic=990x92.msg2624462#msg2624462 date=1549667507
I don't want him. Last night's shot notwithstanding, he's still not a good shooter, and I also noticed that he still has the annoying habit of passing up open layups for kickouts so he can collect more assists.

Agreed. I really wasn't a fan of Rondo even when he was a Celtic and he still has the same warts in his game.

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 08:33:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't rondo have big disagreements with coacH Stevens which was a big part of why he was traded?

How much uncertainty did Ainge have about Rondo's future with the team?
“Oh I think that there’s been uncertainty for a while. You know, as to what kind of team we’d be able to put together. We tried this summer to get some significant players in, unsuccessfully, and there’s a price that we won’t go, either. That we won’t pay, for any player. And I mean, in order to make that happen this past summer. At the same time, there’s been uncertainty as to sort of what his future would be, and there’s been uncertainty as to how he would return and how he’d come back and play. Yeah, I think that he’s understood that and I’ve understood that and we’ve talked about it.”

Link posted regarding Ainge's reasoning behind trading Rondo.

Honestly from what it seems like, Ainge didn't want to let go of Thomas, Bradley, or Rondo. But in order to make rosters fix, and make impending changes based on free agency, you have to give to get. Ultimately, I don't think Ainge really wanted to trade Rondo. At the time of the trade, people really hated the deal, me included. But Rondo was getting impatient with our young core, and the inevitability that we were probably gonna have to tank.

I would welcome him back with open arms, likewise for Bradley, or Thomas.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/12/danny_ainge_explains_decision_to_trade_rajon_rondo.html

I am all set with all three of them

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 09:21:50 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
If we hypothetically brought in Anthony Davis, we would certainly need a great back up PG. They have a great relationship, and could spot start for Irving in resting days.

While I tossed the idea around, bringing back IT, I'm not so sure he will be able to put up similar numbers, while 9/5/8 in solid 28 MPG.
He doesn't shoot enough 3's for BS so he can't be considered.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 09:26:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Rondo left a bad taste in the mouths of Steven's and Ainge when he mentioned not trying on defense consistently. For that reason I just do not see Rondo returning, ever. And that sucks because I am a huge Rondo fan.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd say the odds are pretty slim.

Rondo probably wants a larger role than Boston can offer, and justifiably so.

Rondo has improved in most of his glaring weaknesses. But.. He's 31, and there really isn't going to be that many teams that can offer him the role he's looking for.

Plus.. I think he still loves Boston.

Rondo isn't 31. He will be 33 in 2 weeks.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:07 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think Rondo left a bad taste in the mouths of Steven's and Ainge when he mentioned not trying on defense consistently. For that reason I just do not see Rondo returning, ever. And that sucks because I am a huge Rondo fan.

He tries on defense...just not as much as he could.

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 10:09:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

He tries on defense...just not as much as he could.
If I am Stevens or Ainge, I wouldn't believe him if he said he would try 100% on defense. He let them down once already. No need to give him a second shot at screwing you over.

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I bet it's because Stevens doesn't see Rondo as a 3-point shooter so he's like "trade Rondo."

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 10:13:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

While I understand that particular concern, there is also a difference between backing up Kyrie for the minimum and being the all-star leader of a young (and tanking) team. Rondo has been on several teams of different calibers since leaving Boston - I think he now has a better perception of the NBA landscape and would relish the opportunity to play with a championship contender...especially in Boston (given his glowing post-game comments of the team/organization).

I would hope Stevens/DA would understand that Rondo isn't the same 'punk' that he used to be and having an engaged veteran talent like him off the bench would be huge.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

While I understand that particular concern, there is also a difference between backing up Kyrie for the minimum and being the all-star leader of a young (and tanking) team. Rondo has been on several teams of different calibers since leaving Boston - I think he now has a better perception of the NBA landscape and would relish the opportunity to play with a championship contender...especially in Boston (given his glowing post-game comments of the team/organization).

I would hope Stevens/DA would understand that Rondo isn't the same 'punk' that he used to be and having an engaged veteran talent like him off the bench would be huge.
I am sure Stevens and especially Ainge know exactly who Rondo is now and how he might fit here. My guess is their previous experience means he won't be here.

Rondo didn't try on defense then admitted he was doing it.
Rondo left the team without approval on a west coast trip to have a birthday party.
Rondo threw a bottle at a television set and broke it in the middle of a team meeting.
Rondo was a massive dick in the locker room to team mates for most of his time here.

Rondo burned down the Celtic bridge. He won't be back. But if I am wrong I will be the happiest guy on this site. I think after BBallTim I was this site's biggest Rondo schill.

Heck if getting Rondo back gets BballTim to return, it would be worth it.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Rondo has improved in most of his glaring weaknesses. But.. He's 31, and there really isn't going to be that many teams that can offer him the role he's looking for.

And you know, regardless if there's a game or not, he'll be busy on his birthday :police:

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

And you know, regardless if there's a game or not, he'll be busy on his birthday :police:
Ah yes, the overblown nonsense of the birthday party incident because Stevens got his panties in a twist. 

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 02:11:21 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I really, really, really hope not.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 02:31:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I think the Rondo ship may have sailed for us already. It was great being on it at the time though
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D