Author Topic: Frustrated watching this team  (Read 7939 times)

Re: Frustrated watching this team
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Live and die by the three. The three killed us yesterday.

Not sure i can stomach this much longer. Chucking 3's is not the kind of basketball i'm going to waste my time watching.

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I see all the "sky is falling" crew are out and posting in this thread.

Of course we are. Someone has to counter the "nothing to see here" crowd.

It was one game where the opposition was ridiculous from outside, setting a team record for best 3 point shooting game in their history.

There's actually been probably at least a dozen games like this so far this season, so this isn't quite the "anomaly" some are saying.

Bad defense....but gotta give some props to the Lakers for shooting 22 for 41 from 3. We have had games where we had a ridiculous amount of wide open threes and couldn't put down over 50% of those threes while shooting 41 shots. Lakers had a bunch of those threes contested and still put them down. And they hit those wide open ones too, something we don't always do even though we are like the 5th best 3 point shooting team in the league.

About half of those 41 were wide open, which is a big problem.

That's gonna be Boston's downfall this season (or at least one major downfall). If the postseason becomes primarily a sustained 3pt-shooting contest, Boston doesn't have the weapons to keep up. Smart (miraculously) is much improved in this area, but most of the regulars are shooting worse 3pt %s than they did last year, including Tatum, Horford, Brown, and Rozier, and of course Hayward is still hovering near "terrible" territory, though I do have hope he'll keep improving. This team just doesn't have the ability to shoot its way to a title.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lebron + 22 3PTs by LA, mixed with Kyrie + Smart + Morris having terrible games ...

And yet, it took a buzzer-beater to beat us.  That says a lot of positive about the strength of our team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 07:57:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It was one game where the opposition was ridiculous from outside, setting a team record for best 3 point shooting game in their history.

There's actually been probably at least a dozen games like this so far this season, so this isn't quite the "anomaly" some are saying.

Bad defense....but gotta give some props to the Lakers for shooting 22 for 41 from 3. We have had games where we had a ridiculous amount of wide open threes and couldn't put down over 50% of those threes while shooting 41 shots. Lakers had a bunch of those threes contested and still put them down. And they hit those wide open ones too, something we don't always do even though we are like the 5th best 3 point shooting team in the league.

That's gonna be Boston's downfall this season (or at least one major downfall). If the postseason becomes primarily a sustained 3pt-shooting contest, Boston doesn't have the weapons to keep up. Smart (miraculously) is much improved in this area, but most of the regulars are shooting worse 3pt %s than they did last year, including Tatum, Horford, Brown, and Rozier, and of course Hayward is still hovering near "terrible" territory, though I do have hope he'll keep improving. This team just doesn't have the ability to shoot its way to a title.
This team is well equipped to have the three as a major weapon in their offensive arsenal. They are the 5th best team in the league shooting threes at 37%. Last year they were 3rd at 37.7%. As a team 37% or better from three is really good.

They also defend the three great as last year and this they are allowing only a 33.9% rate. That was good for best in the league last year and 3rd this year.

We had a bad defensive night. Ths Lakers had a team based historic shooting night shooting the three. 22-41. And we lost on a last second shot. I am good with that. We can't win every game.

They are 25-10 in their last 35 games, one of the top if not the top record in the league over that time. I think people need to be a little more big picture thinking.

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2019, 08:01:34 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

This team is well equipped to have the three as a major weapon in their offensive arsenal. They are the 5th best team in the league shooting threes at 37%. Last year they were 3rd at 37.7%. As a team 37% or better from three is really good.

They also defend the three great as last year and this they are allowing only a 33.9% rate. That was good for best in the league last year and 3rd this year.

We had a bad defensive night. Ths Lakers had a team based historic shooting night shooting the three. 22-41. And we lost on a last second shot. I am good with that. We can't win every game.

They are 25-10 in their last 35 games, one of the top if not the top record in the league over that time. I think people need to be a little more big picture thinking.

Couldn’t have said it better.  I’ll also add Irving had an off night which he was probably due for.   It happens.

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The biggest thing that this team lacks is a guy in the middle that Stevens can insert that protects the paint and the rim. Horford is a small ball center. He does okay against teams that also lack a talented big guy, but as soon as he meets that veteran big, 7 ft. 275 lbs and the opposing team decides to take it to the rim, they find way too much success.

If we had Baynes available last night we would have won the game. He provides just enough size, defense, and toughness to do the job. The problem is, he's always hurt. The same can be said about Williams, the kid just can't stay healthy.

We need to fill an open slot with a veteran center if we're going to have any serious chance of catching Toronto or the Bucks.

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
IMO, I think their defense sucks and has all year. I really don't know why people think it's a positive. Regardless of stats, they NEVER stop an important possession of anyone or anything for that matter, except for the random block or steal. That is not good defense.

I really don't wanna get on Brad, but besides his substitutions, his strategy never changes and it's gotten very easy to defend. If I was him I would let Tatum, Brown, and Rozier freestyle a little more with Kyrie cause teams can't defend that.

His X's and O's have gotten repetitive like Pitino.

It's like we (as most of the rest of the league) don't care anymore about defense. There doesn't seem to be a strategy, other then try to stay in front of your man and don't give up an open shot. Once someone gets beat of the dribble there's no help and it often ends up in a lay-up. Oh yeah, and we switch everything, to make it even easier for our opponents.

Yesterday late in the 4th Rondo had the ball and got a switch on Theis. Then the Lakers spread the floor and all our guys stay on their man to leave Theis all alone on the perimeter to defend a point guard. The result was predictable. It was exemplary on how we often give away easy baskets.

The thing that drives me insane the most, is they have completely taken "strength" out of the equation. That's why lebron just buffalos through people, and man that ain't bball talent...that's running back talent :)

But they need to bring the hand check back though, as that wasn't what was killing the league...it was basically just Pat Riley in NY and Miami with the thug ball. He was the exact opposite during  LA showtime.

Hell, no one today would be able to stop Pippen, much less Jordan. People forget how strong they were and how they used it.

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2019, 09:00:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
 :police:basketball is still a big mans game..... we need bigs..... play Time Lord or trade him.

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The biggest thing that this team lacks is a guy in the middle that Stevens can insert that protects the paint and the rim. Horford is a small ball center. He does okay against teams that also lack a talented big guy, but as soon as he meets that veteran big, 7 ft. 275 lbs and the opposing team decides to take it to the rim, they find way too much success.

If we had Baynes available last night we would have won the game. He provides just enough size, defense, and toughness to do the job. The problem is, he's always hurt. The same can be said about Williams, the kid just can't stay healthy.

We need to fill an open slot with a veteran center if we're going to have any serious chance of catching Toronto or the Bucks.
Really strange take given the LAL game was decided by three point shooting. Boston was even on the battle of the boards. There really wasn't an issue with LA's bigs somehow dominating the game and being the difference. The difference in the game was LA's three point shooting.

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Really strange take given the LAL game was decided by three point shooting. Boston was even on the battle of the boards. There really wasn't an issue with LA's bigs somehow dominating the game and being the difference. The difference in the game was LA's three point shooting.

I agree, particularly because no Baynes meant extra Theis. He was awesome last night.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You mean Irving was frustrating to watch with a 6 pt lead

Turnovers plus poor defense

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
You mean Irving was frustrating to watch with a 6 pt lead

Turnovers plus poor defense
Its always frustrating when superstars have bad nights. Thank God they have very few. Of course, if they had more than a couple a year, they wouldn't be superstars.

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2019, 04:03:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Bad defense....but gotta give some props to the Lakers for shooting 22 for 41 from 3. We have had games where we had a ridiculous amount of wide open threes and couldn't put down over 50% of those threes while shooting 41 shots. Lakers had a bunch of those threes contested and still put them down. And they hit those wide open ones too, something we don't always do even though we are like the 5th best 3 point shooting team in the league,

Some people find it hard to deal with losses I guess  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2019, 05:34:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LA was hot down the stretch and even lucky.

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2019, 07:54:45 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this team will either come together and play outstanding in the playoffs or the wheels will fall completely off come that time.

I personally feel everyone on this team feels they're all being held back with hayward on the floor.