Author Topic: Frustrated watching this team  (Read 7941 times)

Re: Frustrated watching this team
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Most definitely a frustrating game. I don’t know why CBS didn’t call more timeouts to break the Lakers rhythm. They were scorching from deep on a lot of open/lightly contested threes.

And also, our offense collapsed for a stretch (just guys going iso, hamming it up for the cameras. Looking at Kyrie, Tatum and Brown!), letting the Lakers shoot their way back from 18 down.

This team is a strong team but they’re terrible front runners. Good 1st quarter team but then they stop trying so hard/playing the right way in the 2nd and 3rd and they’ll try to win the game in the 4th.
- LilRip

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My biggest frustration with this team is they don't take their weaker opponents seriously far too often.  And quite frankly, it's been a common theme every season since Stevens took over as coach.  This is a direct indictment of Stevens' inability to motivate the team properly, and his lack of holding players accountable.  Last night's loss encapsulated every flaw Stevens has as a coach, and why I'm not convinced he's the type of coach that is capable of leading a team to the highest peak.

The Lakers set a team record for made three pointers last night, primarily because Boston failed to close out on shooters, and left the Lakers wide open time and time again.  That is a product of poor effort, plain and simple.

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My biggest frustration with this team is they don't take their weaker opponents seriously far too often.  And quite frankly, it's been a common theme every season since Stevens took over as coach.  This is a direct indictment of Stevens' inability to motivate the team properly, and his lack of holding players accountable.  Last night's loss encapsulated every flaw Stevens has as a coach, and why I'm not convinced he's the type of coach that is capable of leading a team to the highest peak.

The Lakers set a team record for made three pointers last night, primarily because Boston failed to close out on shooters, and left the Lakers wide open time and time again.  That is a product of poor effort, plain and simple.

Ahh! We're frustrated we lost. Let's blame someone!

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 02:57:50 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Inches from a W...Lakers shot lights out. We played very well, then not so well. Definitely fair to be frustrated bc our talent level shouldn't allow this to happen as often as it has. I still think we get it all figured out and really lock in for playoffs...
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm just pointing out the obvious.  The effort this team gave last night was unacceptable IMO.  If you're ok with the effort they gave last night I guess you just have really low standards.

The loss doesn't bother me, it's the reason they lost that bothers me.  I would have been equally bothered by last night's effort even if they won.

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Most definitely a frustrating game. I don’t know why CBS didn’t call more timeouts to break the Lakers rhythm. They were scorching from deep on a lot of open/lightly contested threes.

And also, our offense collapsed for a stretch (just guys going iso, hamming it up for the cameras. Looking at Kyrie, Tatum and Brown!), letting the Lakers shoot their way back from 18 down.

This team is a strong team but they’re terrible front runners. Good 1st quarter team but then they stop trying so hard/playing the right way in the 2nd and 3rd and they’ll try to win the game in the 4th.

Tatum was 9/14 from the field and Brown was 7/10.  In particular, Brown put the Celtics up 18 initially, and that was the margin when he checked out while Kyrie was shooting free throws.  When he checked back late in the third quarter, the Celtics were down.  When he left in the 4th quarter, the Celtics had the lead.

Really, it’s hard to criticize the offense in a game in which they go for 128.  If you want to criticize Kyrie, fine.  He’s supposed to lead the offense and last night he did not live up to that.  But Tatum and Brown were not responsible, and Brown in particular probably should have gotten a few of the minutes given to Marcus Morris.

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
IMO, I think their defense sucks and has all year. I really don't know why people think it's a positive. Regardless of stats, they NEVER stop an important possession of anyone or anything for that matter, except for the random block or steal. That is not good defense.

I really don't wanna get on Brad, but besides his substitutions, his strategy never changes and it's gotten very easy to defend. If I was him I would let Tatum, Brown, and Rozier freestyle a little more with Kyrie cause teams can't defend that.

His X's and O's have gotten repetitive like Pitino.

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its really hard to be 5th in defense 55 games into the season and have not gotten "any" key stops. They are a middle of the pack team on the defensive glass, so that's super frustrating but its a good defensive team overall. It just wasn't very good last night.

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The theme of this team has literally been inconsistency. We'll have a great stretch of games, followed by a bleak one. Even during a game, we'll play maybe 2 or 3 great quarters but completely wet the bed in the other quarter. It also feels at times there are guys out there who don't know what their role is (shooter, playmaker, etc.) and it creates some discombobulation.

To Hayward's credit, although he wasn't great last night he has looked a lot better overall in the past month so that's encouraging. But it irks me when we have a hot hand or two on the court but then we just go away from them as the game progresses (leading to the other team coming back). That and then we give up a big run and CBS doesn't even call a timeout to stop the bleeding. These are basic things which CBS has struggled with this season.

I think Brad has to try a few different rotations where 1 or 2 starters are always out there with the bench unit so that there's balance and a good mix of scoring and defense. That's what other teams like PHI, TOR, etc. do. But Brad seems to play the entire bench group at once which sometimes leads to ice cold offense and a scoring drought. Theoretically, Hayward would help us there but it feels like we keep seeing Rozier jacking up and missing shots left and right (not last night, but just in general this season). That's also part of the "not knowing the true role" part I mentioned above.

With all that said though, I'm really not sure what Ainge could have really done to help us. We can still nab a buyout, but who could he have realistically gotten that would have had a big impact? Only name I could think of is Vucevic but even if true I don't think ORL was selling him (they also traded for Fultz so they may not have wanted Rozier). Salary-matching would have been an issue as well for Vucevic and other names like Mirotic, Gasol, etc.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
IMO, I think their defense sucks and has all year. I really don't know why people think it's a positive. Regardless of stats, they NEVER stop an important possession of anyone or anything for that matter, except for the random block or steal. That is not good defense.

I really don't wanna get on Brad, but besides his substitutions, his strategy never changes and it's gotten very easy to defend. If I was him I would let Tatum, Brown, and Rozier freestyle a little more with Kyrie cause teams can't defend that.

His X's and O's have gotten repetitive like Pitino.

It's like we (as most of the rest of the league) don't care anymore about defense. There doesn't seem to be a strategy, other then try to stay in front of your man and don't give up an open shot. Once someone gets beat of the dribble there's no help and it often ends up in a lay-up. Oh yeah, and we switch everything, to make it even easier for our opponents.

Yesterday late in the 4th Rondo had the ball and got a switch on Theis. Then the Lakers spread the floor and all our guys stay on their man to leave Theis all alone on the perimeter to defend a point guard. The result was predictable. It was exemplary on how we often give away easy baskets.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Well, in most cases, losses are, in fact, someone's fault—it's rare that a team plays great and loses simply because the opponent played just a tiny bit better. In most cases, a loss happens because the losing team shot poorly, committed too many turnovers, and/or played poor defense. Last night's loss was certainly not a case of Boston playing great but just getting slightly outplayed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 04:24:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Its really hard to be 5th in defense 55 games into the season and have not gotten "any" key stops. They are a middle of the pack team on the defensive glass, so that's super frustrating but its a good defensive team overall. It just wasn't very good last night.

I think that they're a solid defensive team in terms of doing a good job of rotating, helping, etc., but their lack of a real intimidator at the rim and their mediocre (at best) defensive rebounding really hurt. They give up WAYYYY too many offensive rebounds.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2019, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm not.

I am EXTREMELY EXCITED about The Boston Celtics' Future.

I've gotten over last night's lost to our hated rivals.

I've let the cat out of the bathroom. I locked him in there after the game - right after I used it.

My wife is no longer sleeping on the couch - after she joked my about the Celtics loss last night.

I fed my sons today - after telling them to suck their thumbs last night.

JUST KIDDING.

My heart skipped a beat after thinking about some positives last night. Don't know if anyone remembers Jayson Tatum's DIVE ON THE FLOOR to save that LOOSE BALL but "I" do.

I know that Tatum took YET ANOTHER STEP towards GREATNESS last night.

The GREAT players do that stuff...he literally took a page out of Marcus Smart's book.

This team will be FINE.

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We are going to regret all these losses to teams we should beat by 10. I don't understand why Hayward continues to be in the lineup at the end of games. I'm sick of watching this team thinking they can win just off talent. They are too cool for school.

Can we see Steven's go berserk sometimes? A 6 point lead with a minute to go should be a win, forget the 20 point lead earlier in the game.

Stop with the scripted substitutions and reward guys for playing well. Tired of watching a well put together
team not play up to potential.

I'm sick of the current league in general. I'm not even sure why i'm still watching. Watching both teams trade 3 pointers over and over and over and over again made me nauseous. The reason this team keeps blowing leads is because they keep gunning the 3 ball even if they are up big. Once they are up big they should slow the game down and work it inside. As long as they are trading threes you'll keep seeing these 10-20 point swings.

On another note, Stevens is an average coach. He has no idea how to keep the hot hands on the floor. He clearly sticks to some sort of script judging by how all of the same players get the same amount of minutes every night no matter what's happening on the actual floor.

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2019, 06:32:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see all the "sky is falling" crew are out and posting in this thread.

It was one game where the opposition was ridiculous from outside, setting a team record for best 3 point shooting game in their history.

Bad defense....but gotta give some props to the Lakers for shooting 22 for 41 from 3. We have had games where we had a ridiculous amount of wide open threes and couldn't put down over 50% of those threes while shooting 41 shots. Lakers had a bunch of those threes contested and still put them down. And they hit those wide open ones too, something we don't always do even though we are like the 5th best 3 point shooting team in the league,

Live and die by the three. The three killed us yesterday.