Author Topic: Frustrated watching this team  (Read 7871 times)

Re: Frustrated watching this team
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm reading a bunch of excuses about Brons effect on the game and preseason expectations. This has nothing to do with either because we've seen it all year. Teams come out in the 3rd att and put up 35-45 points. I agree the starters looked sluggish...that's why I said the bench was rolling. Theis deserved closing second minutes more than Horford. Rozier deserved to be on the floor over Hayward or Morris in the end.

All I'm saying is it's the same movie and Stevens is contributing to it.

Now all these other teams are about to go through continuity issues with their moves so let's see if we can make some head way since we don't have that issue.

Baynes looks like the MVP of this team.🤷🏾‍♂️

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I am worried that this team doesn't have the killer mentality it has had the past several years.

There were a number of effort and mental toughness plays that cost the team the game. Tatum was out of position and didn't work hard enough to stay in the play. For the second time in a week, Morris was too slow and out of position at a critical moment. Kyrie was out of position. These three guys are great on offense at the end of games, but don't seem locked in on the defensive end.

I prefer Brown in the game at the end because he always has another gear defensively, but I think Stevens has come to the conclusion that the first unit does not function as well with him in. I think he's right, but it seems to be something the team needs to figure out in order to reach its potential.

Might partly be a reflection on Stevens mentality. His ra ra the other team was better mentality is getting old. He was a good college coach. I'm beginning to wonder whether he has what it takes at the NBA level. He needs to show some sort of emotion instead of having a smile on his face and crossing his arms the whole game. It's like he's afraid to hurt his players' feelings. These aren't 19 year old college kids these are paid professionals.

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
The biggest frustration I have had with this team, since the Doc Rivers' days, is the lack of attention to detail.  Last night's game could have been won if the Celtics focused on boxing out and rebounding the basketball.  It is extremely irritating to lose a game at a professional level due to lack of fundamentals.  Scoring with 11 seconds left was the correct play.  Allowing a player to penetrate all the way to the basket to force Horford out of position to block the shot and then having the rest of the team unable to secure the rebound was unacceptable.

I can live with losing the game and sacrificing a bit to continue to try to get Hayward back.  While I don't think he is essential, his confidence and resurrection would be a huge boost to this team's title chances - moreso than their seeding in the East.

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
We are going to regret all these losses to teams we should beat by 10. I don't understand why Hayward continues to be in the lineup at the end of games. I'm sick of watching this team thinking they can win just off talent. They are too cool for school.

Can we see Steven's go berserk sometimes? A 6 point lead with a minute to go should be a win, forget the 20 point lead earlier in the game.

Stop with the scripted substitutions and reward guys for playing well. Tired of watching a well put together
team not play up to potential.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm sick of hearing from the Positivity Police that we have no reason to be down on this team, or that we shouldn't be frustrated with a loss like last night's, or the mantra "it's only one game"—when that's the NINTH loss to a far inferior team this season: Orlando, Charlotte, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, Miami, Orlando AGAIN, Lakers. And that's not counting the narrow wins over bad teams, of which there have been several.

So they played to within 4 points against Golden State. Big freakin deal. Their lazy, complacent attitude is gonna cost them in the standings, which will come back to bite them at some point in the playoffs.

As for last night in particular, I was stunned when Stevens put Hayward in for Brown with about 2 minutes left. Then again, the Cs had already blown an 18-point lead, allowed a poor-shooting team to shoot lights out, and gave confidence to a team that, coming into the game, had been completely demoralized by trade rumors. Thanks, Boston.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Wait, we blew a 18 pt lead to a team that was a mess. We blew a 6 pt lead with a minute to go. The Lakers missed a ton of FTs. Stop saying we lost to a Bron team.

The Lakers hit over 50% of their 41 three point attempts.

The Celts had a 1 point lead with a few seconds left and the Lakers needed a Rondo mid-range jumper to win.

Rondo is shooting 33% from 10-16 feet this year.  The Celtics had a 67% chance of winning in the instant that Rondo took that shot with just a few seconds left.

I'll take that every time.

Yeah, the Celtics could have played better, but they did enough to beat the Lakers comfortably, the Lakers just had a lot of their jumpers fall.

That's life in the NBA.  You can freak out about it because it's the Lakers, but every team has losses like this in a regular season, even great ones.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Bingo...that's all I'm saying. Can we start living up to our potential. Yes, the attention to detail is hurting us...too undisciplined and lackadaisical at crucial times.

I too wonder is Stevens ready to go from being a good coach to a great coach. The calm demeanor works good at times but sometimes a technical is a tactic not am emotional blow up. This team has taken on a Dr Jekyll, Mr Hyde mentaility.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I was fine with last nights game, sucked but you'll lose some games. Especially when Kyrie can't hit anything except in the final stretch and free throw line.

Key is to turn around and keep rolling Saturday, and then Tuesday/Wednesday. This team seems to either streak one way or the other.

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yeah I was fine with last nights game, sucked but you'll lose some games. Especially when Kyrie can't hit anything except in the final stretch and free throw line.

Key is to turn around and keep rolling Saturday, and then Tuesday/Wednesday. This team seems to either streak one way or the other.

Exactly. Since that 10-10 start, we've gone 25-10, a .714 winning percentage, including 8-2 in our last 10 and 10-2 in our last 12. We have the 3rd best point differential in the league behind the Bucks and GSW. People need to calm down a little bit. We will lose occasionally.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I'm frustrated reading these knee jerk responses to a close loss against LeBron on a night his team shot 22-41 from deep.

The Hayward stuff is just tired at this point.  Unless he puts up twenty plus points, a certain contingent of fans will p--- and moan that he shouldn't be playing.  All these posts say is that the author doesn't really bother to watch the game closely, or doesn't understand that supporting players can have a good game without scoring a bunch of points.

Yeah I was there and cannot understate the absurdity of the 3's they were hitting in the 3rd quarter, they hit about 7 in a row.  Kuzma and KCP were both 5-8 from deep, Rondo was 3-4 and Lebron was 5-10.  They're probably not ever going to outkick their coverage that crazily against us again, and they should be ashamed they needed a buzzer beater to win, frankly.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'm frustrated reading these knee jerk responses to a close loss against LeBron on a night his team shot 22-41 from deep.

The Hayward stuff is just tired at this point.  Unless he puts up twenty plus points, a certain contingent of fans will p--- and moan that he shouldn't be playing.  All these posts say is that the author doesn't really bother to watch the game closely, or doesn't understand that supporting players can have a good game without scoring a bunch of points.

Yeah I was there and cannot understate the absurdity of the 3's they were hitting in the 3rd quarter, they hit about 7 in a row.  Kuzma and KCP were both 5-8 from deep, Rondo was 3-4 and Lebron was 5-10.  They're probably not ever going to outkick their coverage that crazily against us again, and they should be ashamed they needed a buzzer beater to win, frankly.

This outtakes i don't agree with. If you play bad defense, you can easily get lit up, even by mediocre shooters. Celtics were horrific and brain dead defensively, Lakers got every shot they wanted, and when you do that, percentages rise. I really dont like the "They will never do this ever again" statement.

The Celtics have had nights where they couldnt miss either , and i dont like excuses for any team when that happens. Now if its one players going for 55+ , then maybe you can say they had an outworldly game but now when the entire team douses you. Celtics failed hard.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Some of you are just chalking this up like we're only talking about this game. It's the accumulation of the games being played and coached the same way. Against the Warriors it was a box out. Winning teams make winning plays. No one expects them to go 20-1 but the same problems keep popping up with this team. We can't even hang out hat on being a good playoff home team because we still have no identity.

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
One game?? We've seen this all season. No killer instinct and they're acting like talent will win...they play with an arrogance like the other team will quiver at their talent.

Tatum had it going and we always stop feeding him. Too much one on one when runs are made against us. When a team starts getting hot, that's when you want to slow the game down and get to the FT line...not get into a jack 3 for 3 contest.

BINGO. we panic and it all falls apart.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We are weak porous down low. Especially with Baynes out. Every time we go against a team with a true center and a long back line we struggle.
HORFORD ISN'T A CENTER. He's quoted as saying he doesn't like playing the position.

The personality of your team sometimes reflects that of the coach. This team has no emotion. It excepts getting punked while it worries about "the next play."

If Baynes can't stay healthy, it's time to sign a true center that can.

Kyrie Irving needs to trust his teammates at the games end. He orchestrates a decent game throughout until it gets to crunch time, then he is totally predictable and the opposition knows it. It's me, me, me.

Kyrie is demonstrating why GoldenState is so good. They share the ball at the END of the game too.

Please, Mr. Irving, allow your young teammates to grow.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Some of you are just chalking this up like we're only talking about this game. It's the accumulation of the games being played and coached the same way. Against the Warriors it was a box out. Winning teams make winning plays. No one expects them to go 20-1 but the same problems keep popping up with this team. We can't even hang out hat on being a good playoff home team because we still have no identity.

right again thus the frustration.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

Exactly. Since that 10-10 start, we've gone 25-10, a .714 winning percentage, including 8-2 in our last 10 and 10-2 in our last 12. We have the 3rd best point differential in the league behind the Bucks and GSW. People need to calm down a little bit. We will lose occasionally.

has nothing to do with us losing it is how we lost and seeing same issues for 3 straight years now. see posts above
LET'S GO CELTICS!