Author Topic: Gordon starting to turn the corner?  (Read 13746 times)

Re: Gordon starting to turn the corner?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 01:32:58 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I'm sure we'll have him when we need most. In PO. He'll be there. Not with All Star numbers, but yes, he'll be there.

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2019, 01:59:51 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Was I the only one expecting a 2 or 3 pt game after seeing this thread made the other day? Lol

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
There was one play in this game against OKC that stood out to me. Hayward caught the ball on the right corner. He faked left and went right. He got a head start against the defender by about a mile since the defender bit on the screen. Even with that kind of head start the defender caught up to Hayward in seconds and stopped the play. This stood out because it showed me that Hayward has ZERO explosiveness even when he has a head start on the defender. Another thing that stands out to me is he's not that crafty. Luca Doncic is not a fast or explosive player but he's VERY crafty and he gets to where he wants to go as a result of that. Hayward is slow with no explosiveness whatsoever and he's not crafty to make up for it. He's pretty much a negative player at this point and would be well served spending some time in the G League.

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
There was one play in this game against OKC that stood out to me. Hayward caught the ball on the right corner. He faked left and went right. He got a head start against the defender by about a mile since the defender bit on the screen. Even with that kind of head start the defender caught up to Hayward in seconds and stopped the play. This stood out because it showed me that Hayward has ZERO explosiveness even when he has a head start on the defender. Another thing that stands out to me is he's not that crafty. Luca Doncic is not a fast or explosive player but he's VERY crafty and he gets to where he wants to go as a result of that. Hayward is slow with no explosiveness whatsoever and he's not crafty to make up for it. He's pretty much a negative player at this point and would be well served spending some time in the G League.

Or....

Just sell him to a team on the notion that he needs more touches and opportunity to completely come around and that we just cannot give him that here.

Gordon to Detroit
Rozier and Yabusele to Orlando
Drummond, Ish Smith, Simmons and Orlando 2019 1st top 5 protected to Boston

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

Or....

Just sell him to a team on the notion that he needs more touches and opportunity to completely come around and that we just cannot give him that here.

Gordon to Detroit

If Irving bolts then Ainge needs to figure out a way to trade Hayward or bury him on the depth chart. He's about 20 percent of what he once was and i'm not even kidding. If Irving does bolt i would consider a trade of Gordon Hayward for John Wall. Wall has a huge contract but pairing him with Brown and Tatum could be fun....definitely way more fun than watching Hayward play basketball. **Actually i just looked at John Wall's upcoming salary. There's no way anyone is touching that lol.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:09:49 PM by Spicoli »

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Or....

Gordon to Detroit

If Irving bolts then Ainge needs to figure out a way to trade Hayward or bury him on the depth chart. He's about 20 percent of what he once was and i'm not even kidding. If Irving does bolt i would consider a trade of Gordon Hayward for John Wall. Wall has a huge contract but pairing him with Brown and Tatum could be fun....definitely way more fun than watching Hayward play basketball. **Actually i just looked at John Wall's upcoming salary. There's no way anyone is touching that lol.

lol.

I would rather sell him now I think, get something for playoff push and make us more desirable for offseason moves (Davis and Irving)

Ideally, we can add a player that can help us win now, and then in turn be used in a trade for Davis.

Vucevic(davis S&T potential), Mozgov (16 mill expiring next season for Davis trade) Grant(young pg)
for
Hayward, Rozier, Yabusele

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't understand the reasoning here.

Selling Hayward will be difficult, you'll get pennies on the dollar for him. Plus...I'm also sure it will be accompanied by his him getting healthy again shortly after the trade/giveaway.

The odds of Davis coming to Boston is slight. His daddy said as much. Evedentally his dad has some irrational reason for disliking the Celtics organization. And can't keep his mouth shut.

Crazy how some on this site respond as though it were a video game or a phone app.  Isn't there an age requirement on this blog? Like you need to be at least 18 or something.

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
It looks like Hayward can exorcise some demons tonight. He will probably be starting with Morris out. Hope his mental block will be gone after tonight and has a good game.

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2019, 12:18:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
GH really isn’t turning the corner anytime soon. That OKC game highlighted for me just how far away he is physically, never mind mentally. I’d say he’s about 30% the player he was in Utah on bad nights and about 70% on good nights.
- LilRip

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Five of Hayward's six shots against OKC were in the paint. That is a good sign. And only one shot was off a set play for him.  OKC is very athletic and Hayward isn't there yet to jump with them.  But he was going for a dunk after the steal and break away with a defender underneath him.  Earlier in the year he would have tried a layup.  It was a well timed chase down block by Patterson. 

There probably should be more praise for Hayward that he isn't trying to jack up 12 shots a game and do too much.  His team ball allows Brown freedom right now.  He is picking and choosing where to make an impact.  It will increase as we move into March/April.  He wants to be healthy for the playoffs.

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

There probably should be more praise for Hayward that he isn't trying to jack up 12 shots a game and do too much. His team ball allows Brown freedom right now.  He is picking and choosing where to make an impact.  It will increase as we move into March/April.  He wants to be healthy for the playoffs.

Funnily enough that appears to be one of the biggest criticisms. People get disappointed because he's not jacking up shots and ending up with only 5-6 attempts a game. $30m man should be taking more shots seems to be the consensus. It always comes down to the contract, it's the lens by which everything he does is viewed.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
GH really isn’t turning the corner anytime soon. That OKC game highlighted for me just how far away he is physically, never mind mentally. I’d say he’s about 30% the player he was in Utah on bad nights and about 70% on good nights.

My thoughts as well, although i think it's more 20% and 70%. In the two games where he's had over 30 points he was just making shots. He got hot and made everything in both games but he still didn't look that great. Overall i think this guy is somewhere around 40 to 45% of where he was in Utah.

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

My thoughts as well, although i think it's more 20% and 70%. In the two games where he's had over 30 points he was just making shots. He got hot and made everything in both games but he still didn't look that great. Overall i think this guy is somewhere around 40 to 45% of where he was in Utah.

Physically I have no Doubts Gordon is at 80% or more what he was in Utah.

But mentally he is at about 10%.

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

There probably should be more praise for Hayward that he isn't trying to jack up 12 shots a game and do too much. His team ball allows Brown freedom right now.  He is picking and choosing where to make an impact.  It will increase as we move into March/April.  He wants to be healthy for the playoffs.

Funnily enough that appears to be one of the biggest criticisms. People get disappointed because he's not jacking up shots and ending up with only 5-6 attempts a game. $30m man should be taking more shots seems to be the consensus. It always comes down to the contract, it's the lens by which everything he does is viewed.

If Gordon was being paid 16 mill per season for the next 3 years would you be happy with his current production on your team?

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd rather Hayward be efficient in a modest role than inefficient in a star-type role. So far he's mostly doing a good job at fitting into the niche, with some ups and downs of course. But I don't mind the counting stats.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when Brown, Morris or Tatum are gone and we need more out of him at the wing.