Author Topic: Does Danny trade Rozier by the deadline?  (Read 2855 times)

Does Danny trade Rozier by the deadline?
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I'm starting to feel it is inevitable at this point. Before the season began, the main reason to keep rozier was to have solid depth on the bench behind kyrie. that was assuming that Rozier would keep up his play from the playoffs. Instead he has been a black hole offensively.

Celtics right now are mostly suffering from guys not playing in their roles, and not having enough shots to get in a rhythm. When you have Hayward taking 6 shots a game and Rozier 10 there is a problem there.

While trading Rozier would devoid the team of talent, it would possibly open up shots/minutes for guys like Jaylen/Hayward who seemingly cannot get in a rhythm playing 25minutes per game.

Unless Danny is holding onto rozier for a possible sign and trade offer for Anthony Davis in the offseason.

Re: Does Danny trade Rozier by the deadline?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Unless Danny is holding onto rozier for a possible sign and trade offer for Anthony Davis in the offseason.

Thanks for the laugh!

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I believe he will, but then again, I believed the same thing heading into the 2018 draft as well. :P

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:09:02 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Thanks for the laugh!

I don't think you understand.

Rozier would be an additional piece in the offer for Davis and a salary filler. Not just straight up for Davis.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Thanks for the laugh!

I don't think you understand.

Rozier would be an additional piece in the offer for Davis and a salary filler. Not just straight up for Davis.
Teams cannot send out multiple players in a sign and trade. We cannot sign and trade Rozier + other players for Davis. Not sure whether we could trade Rozier + draft rights to multiple players though. In any case, Rozier's salary would have to match Davis' salary.

Two things worth considering here:

- Base Year Compensation (BYC)
The BYC rule applies to a specific circumstance. If a player is being signed-and-traded via Early Bird or Bird rights by a team above the salary cap, gets a raise of at least 20%, and his salary is worth more than the minimum, his cap figure for salary-matching purposes will be affected. For the team acquiring him, his full salary would apply in a trade. For the team trading him, he would count for his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater.

That would make it very difficult for the two teams to meet the salary-matching rules in a trade.

- If we want to sign and trade Rozier, there is a minimum contract length of 3 seasons. No way would the Pels overpay Rozier for 3 seasons in order for us to match Davis' salary.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:33:54 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Rozier's trade value was at a high after the playoffs. The fact that Danny did not trade him tells me he is staying til the end of the season for insurance purposes and depth. His trade value now is definitely at a low and we would probably not get anything but a 2nd round pick for him or maybe a heavily protected first in the future.

What exactly do we think Rozier could net us now or before the All Star Break? I am thinking not a heck of a lot and if Kyrie gets injured again, we would have Smart as our starting PG with nobody to back him up. At least with Rozier getting starter minutes again the drop off would not be as massive(but still painful). He needs starter minutes though to be able to play better it seems.

I say Danny is not trading Rozier before the deadline.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Teams cannot send out multiple players in a sign and trade. We cannot sign and trade Rozier + other players for Davis. Not sure whether we could trade Rozier + draft rights to multiple players though. In any case, Rozier's salary would have to match Davis' salary.

Do you have a link to this? Under the last CBA I know this was allowed.

I doubt NOP would want to pay Rozier any sizeable amount with Holiday on the roster, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Thanks for the laugh!

Too funny  ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not necessarily.

Danny has always seemed to be very high on Rozier.

Also, even though I think (and hope) Kyrie will be back next season, Ainge may keep Rozier as a precaution.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Before the season began, I would have said ‘definitely no’, but I have been inching towards ‘definitely yes’ as of late.

If Kyrie goes down, we are screwed no matter what. Hayward, Brown, and Horford have not played like they were expected to so there is no cushion if we lose Kyrie.

As far as Kyrie leaving, Rozier just hasn’t proven (this year) that he can lead this team in a winning manner moving forward. Do we really want to pay Rozier $15m/yr in hopes that he can re-capture the magic of last year’s playoffs?

I have been a huge Terry supporter for years, but it appears a change of environment would now be better for both sides. Moving his salary would also go a long way in getting under the tax.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I really hope so.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Tatum is, I think, practically untouchable. As is Kyrie, an all-NBA talent.
Then there are the guys brought here on max deals in Horford and Hayward. Probably staying.

Then we have the problems of Rozier and also Brown. They could be a starting backcourt somewhere, yet Smart has beat out both. Both are better offensively, and solid defensively. Go figure.

If there is a chance to get a better (youngish allstar) player, one of the two seems destined to be part of the asset package, if not both.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

I doubt NOP would want to pay Rozier any sizeable amount with Holiday on the roster, though.
You are right. I was wrong.

I'd read about this on reddit and I took it for granted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8rdobi/can_a_team_send_out_multiple_players_in_a_sign/

Having read your response, I looked it up in the CBA (questions 92 to 94, for anyone who is interested) and there is nothing in there suggesting that my post is accurate. I then searched about it a bit more and I found this:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/6/26/15871230/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-sign-and-trade-paul-millsap
The targeted team can send out as many contracts as needed to complete the deal, subject to roster limits. The free agent’s previous team can also combine other contracts with the signed-and-traded free agent in the trade if needed for either salary cap purposes or basketball purposes. The trade can also be between more than just the targeted team and the free agent’s previous team if need be, although there are additional restrictions.

So yeah, I was wrong. Sorry about this. Should have known better before posting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:26:03 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 08:29:44 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

You are right. I was wrong.

I'd read about this on reddit and I took it for granted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8rdobi/can_a_team_send_out_multiple_players_in_a_sign/

Having read your response, I looked it up in the CBA (questions 92 to 94, for anyone who is interested) and there is nothing in there suggesting that my post is accurate. I then searched about it a bit more and I found this:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/6/26/15871230/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-sign-and-trade-paul-millsap
The targeted team can send out as many contracts as needed to complete the deal, subject to roster limits. The free agent’s previous team can also combine other contracts with the signed-and-traded free agent in the trade if needed for either salary cap purposes or basketball purposes. The trade can also be between more than just the targeted team and the free agent’s previous team if need be, although there are additional restrictions.

So yeah, I was wrong. Sorry about this. Should have known better before posting.

There are so many rules and exceptions that it's hard to be aware of all or even know them all. Who had heard about the Rose-rule before it became an obstacle in the Davis-trade rumors?

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 09:11:09 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I love Rozier and think he should get his shot but we can't keep him. I know in the past some people have thought we should keep Rozier over Smart. What do you think now? I love his athleticism but frankly he has been very disappointing this season. I think it is obviously related to the minutes. We can't afford to give him the minutes he needs to flourish. I think we have to trade him and hope that Kyrie stays healthy.