Author Topic: Is this team going inside more?  (Read 1820 times)

Is this team going inside more?
« on: November 04, 2023, 08:28:26 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I’ve enjoyed the undefeated streak so far but I think something interesting (at least from the eye test) is how much more emphasis the offense has put in playing inside the arc. Yes, we still shoot a lot of threes (incl walk up threes) but I can’t recall this team playing this much out of the post before. Tatum, in particular, has looked unguardable in the post. Kudos to Mazzula for incorporating this in the offense

Is this something you guys have noticed too or am I just misremembering the past?
- LilRip

Re: Is this team going inside more?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I concur.  Tatum has reminded me of the Greek Freak this year driving thru the paint - unguardable!

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 09:26:41 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
The data supports the eye test. In the first 4 games, the Cs have gone from one of the least post-focused to one of the most post-focused, which should make old timers happy.

Early on, the Celtics offense has transformed from one of the NBA’s most post-up-averse attacks into one of the most post-up reliant. Through a 4-0 start, they have used nearly seven more post-up possessions per game than they did last season, including possessions that end with passes out of the post. They entered Wednesday night with the third-most such possessions per game in the NBA (11.0), according to Synergy Sports. That put Boston ahead of Joel Embiid’s Philadelphia 76ers by one post-up chance per game and not far behind the league’s most post-up-heavy offense in Nikola Jokic’s Denver Nuggets.

Porziņģis’ presence alone would have shifted the Celtics’ style somewhat, but the team has leaned into post play beyond just him. Tatum has looked for offense on the block regularly since arriving for training camp with 12 additional pounds of muscle, by his own account. Holiday, one of the NBA’s strongest guards, can operate on the block even against taller defenders. Brown, a sharpshooter from the midrange, usually has either a speed or power advantage against his man. And the amount of shooting the Celtics put on the court only enhances the opportunities each of those players sees down low.

Tatum has posted up with far more frequency than he did last season. When he drew T.J. McConnell on a switch Wednesday, Tatum went straight to the block. Even in that matchup, the Pacers didn’t send a double-team, perhaps because they were wary of leaving Boston’s shooters open.

When asked about post-ups, Mazzulla brought up one from the Celtics’ win against the Washington Wizards earlier this week. The Wizards did send help when Porziņģis caught the ball down low against a much smaller defender. He capitalized on the defensive strategy by whipping a cross-court pass to Tatum for a wide-open 3-pointer.

“I think posting takes the pressure off of all of our guys and allows us to get to our spacing and kind of read where each guy is,” Mazzulla said. “So we’ve just gotta continue to be efficient in those.”

https://theathletic.com/5023152/2023/11/02/celtics-win-pacers-post-play-jrue-holiday/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
The data supports the eye test. In the first 4 games, the Cs have gone from one of the least post-focused to one of the most post-focused, which should make old timers happy.

Early on, the Celtics offense has transformed from one of the NBA’s most post-up-averse attacks into one of the most post-up reliant. Through a 4-0 start, they have used nearly seven more post-up possessions per game than they did last season, including possessions that end with passes out of the post. They entered Wednesday night with the third-most such possessions per game in the NBA (11.0), according to Synergy Sports. That put Boston ahead of Joel Embiid’s Philadelphia 76ers by one post-up chance per game and not far behind the league’s most post-up-heavy offense in Nikola Jokic’s Denver Nuggets.

Porziņģis’ presence alone would have shifted the Celtics’ style somewhat, but the team has leaned into post play beyond just him. Tatum has looked for offense on the block regularly since arriving for training camp with 12 additional pounds of muscle, by his own account. Holiday, one of the NBA’s strongest guards, can operate on the block even against taller defenders. Brown, a sharpshooter from the midrange, usually has either a speed or power advantage against his man. And the amount of shooting the Celtics put on the court only enhances the opportunities each of those players sees down low.

Tatum has posted up with far more frequency than he did last season. When he drew T.J. McConnell on a switch Wednesday, Tatum went straight to the block. Even in that matchup, the Pacers didn’t send a double-team, perhaps because they were wary of leaving Boston’s shooters open.

When asked about post-ups, Mazzulla brought up one from the Celtics’ win against the Washington Wizards earlier this week. The Wizards did send help when Porziņģis caught the ball down low against a much smaller defender. He capitalized on the defensive strategy by whipping a cross-court pass to Tatum for a wide-open 3-pointer.

“I think posting takes the pressure off of all of our guys and allows us to get to our spacing and kind of read where each guy is,” Mazzulla said. “So we’ve just gotta continue to be efficient in those.”

https://theathletic.com/5023152/2023/11/02/celtics-win-pacers-post-play-jrue-holiday/

I think sam cassell said this was a priority for him with this team. to get tatum/brown more in the post.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Lots of fingers crossed for the mid-season abolition of the three point line, I suspect.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Ah, glad to see I wasn’t seeing things lol

The post ups have definitely helped the offense. Tatum is such a mismatch on the post anyway, especially after switches. And the post ups do space the floor better since we have shooters in every position
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 11:48:18 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
I would say adding Porzingis has a little something to do with it..  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I have no doubt that PP stressed to Tatum to get in the post, drive to the basket and get to the free throw line 10 times a game.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 12:12:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cassell has been working with Tatum in the post.  It's been a point of emphasis.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 02:16:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Tatum is also playing PF more at 69%, more than double the last few seasons. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 02:58:24 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Through 6 games this season we are averaging 6 postups per game for 8th in the league, vs 3.7 for all of last season when we were 26th.

Last season:

This season:

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 04:54:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

How can that be? Tatum isn’t even a PF!  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 04:57:53 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

How can that be? Tatum isn’t even a PF!  :laugh:

Probably because in Joe's world (along with Brad and most of the NBA) there's no more actual PF position, just a wing, a big and a ball handler. He's a wing that sometimes plays out on the wing, and sometimes he plays closer to the basket. I wonder how long before the NBA removes that distinction and just goes to those 3 positions.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 06:57:12 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Tatum posting up is nice against smaller defenders, but I doubt the efficiency holds up against bigger ones. I know he's stronger this season, but I don't think he's ever going to have the lower body strength to dislodge a similarly strong/lengthy player.

One good thing is that, as opposed to driving, posting up is slower and more methodical and seems to be a rhythm Tatum is more comfortable with. It also makes protecting the ball against swipes easier, which is something he has a problem with. The reads on where a double is coming from and who to pass to would seem to be easier as well, as opposed to driving into a thicket of defenders that are trying to draw charges, swipe at you, or stunt and trick you into throwing it away (or also throw it away yourself which Brown and Tatum do all the time due to wonky handles).

Anyway, I like it in certain instances but I'm still skeptical that it'll be a cure-all. I don't think this is going to be as productive as when LeBron started posting up since he's actually built like a PF of olden days and is an amazing passer. I could see Tatum eventually mastering the fadeaway jumper out of the post though, in the same way that Jordan made that an unguardable shot. Actually physically moving a guy and comfortably getting a shot though, I don't know. Watching some of his post-ups, he kind of gets the ball up there and it bounces in, but it's not like he got off a totally unbothered shot. Sometimes those are going to roll out and the percentage will go down.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 08:20:27 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
No last time I checked Joe is still our coach and still as clueless as ever
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk