Author Topic: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing  (Read 6612 times)

Re: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 02:06:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
More wings doesn't mean they are any good

They don't have to be good to be better than last year.

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

It's not Even close honestly.  This team has way better options than last year.
if you count Brissett, you have to count Grant. If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. Balnton is a PG. The team doesn't have 6 backup wings. That is ridiculous.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 02:17:12 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

if you count Brissett, you have to count Grant. If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. Balnton is a PG. The team doesn't have 6 backup wings. That is ridiculous.

Grant was too slow to guard 3’s. Muscala too. Brissett and Stevens are much better athletes. It’s not even close. Grant was never a wing, neither was Muscala.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2023, 03:19:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I’m leaning towards feeling our bench is pretty thin and we should bolster it ( if possible). I don’t think I trust Hauser’s shot enough . I’d like to see Svi but I’m not sure he’d be consistent either. I feel like we ARE right there with the Bucks and Denver  and we have many more assets than the bucks do to deal. I’m not sure about Denver’ assets . But what player is a realistic addition to their top 7,8? I have no idea, really.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2023, 03:21:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm fine with counting Grant. If you're saying that 6'4" lamar Stevens is a big that's ridiculous.  And Banton is a 6'8" guard that will certainly also be used as a wing and will guard wings.

Like I said. Joe has six options off the bench at wing. Whether you want to believe it or not,  we are in a much better spot than last year. Good job Brad again. 

Side note Nathan Night looks like Julius Randle light, big strong bruising PF that goes hard to the rim finishes with either hand.  Another good addition.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2023, 03:23:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Grant was too slow to guard 3’s. Muscala too. Brissett and Stevens are much better athletes. It’s not even close. Grant was never a wing, neither was Muscala.

Boom! tp Goldstar. Thanks for stating the obvious. 

If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. That was the reach of the century right there.

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I think my hopes for Svi because I think we can use another bench players who can create a play as well as shoot and not just finish a catch and shoot or finish a close out.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2023, 04:01:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Brissett played 92% of his minutes at PF and 3% at C last year with 5% at SF.  Every year in the league he has played less and less time at SF and more and more time at PF, because he is a big. GW also played 5% of his tine at SF last year.  Exact same as Brissett and Grant is a much better shooter.  Stevens has played around half his time at SF the last 2 years, but I've watched a lot of Cavs games and he plays much more like a big than a wing. Solid rebounder, poor shooter, strong.  He isn't a traditional wing, plays much more like a big guy even though he is on the short side at 6'6"

Boston doesn't have 6 wing players on its bench.  That is just crazy especially since the 2 best players on the team are both wings.  Brown played 58% of his minutes at SF last year. Tatum was at 53%. White played 8% at SF.  Heck even Brogdon logged 1% of his time at SF.  Even Blake had 2% in a mega big lineup. 

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2023, 04:30:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Our bench "wings" besides Hauser and Svi are pretty bad from 3 point line, which is a pretty critical component is today's NBA.  I think Brad jumped the gun signing Brissett to a 2 year deal, he shouldn't have offered that much guaranteed $$ to him. This makes it difficult to cut him. He has no trade value other than salary filler.  Brad seemed to place premium of defense at the back up wing position over shooting. 

Hauser is dependent on hitting his shot.  If he goes cold again for 2 months, do we play SVI instead? 

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2023, 04:34:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Our bench "wings" besides Hauser and Svi are pretty bad from 3 point line, which is a pretty critical component is today's NBA.  I think Brad jumped the gun signing Brissett to a 2 year deal, he shouldn't have offered that much guaranteed $$ to him. This makes it difficult to cut him. He has no trade value other than salary filler.  Brad seemed to place premium of defense at the back up wing position over shooting. 

Hauser is dependent on hitting his shot.  If he goes cold again for 2 months, do we play SVI instead?
I believe he signed Brissett to replace Grant.  Not as good but much cheaper and provides a similar skill set.

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2023, 05:42:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Boom! tp Goldstar. Thanks for stating the obvious. 

If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. That was the reach of the century right there.

That I think we all agree that is getting pretty darn silly. But at the end of the day I think those of us worried about our bench have been worried about the backup bigs (kornet) more than backup wings as Roy stated earlier.

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2023, 05:55:32 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Deeper then they’ve been in years and an overrated story line that they “don’t have depth”

Depth doesn’t matter that much in the playoffs.

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2023, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Brissett played 92% of his minutes at PF and 3% at C last year with 5% at SF.  Every year in the league he has played less and less time at SF and more and more time at PF, because he is a big. GW also played 5% of his tine at SF last year.  Exact same as Brissett and Grant is a much better shooter.  Stevens has played around half his time at SF the last 2 years, but I've watched a lot of Cavs games and he plays much more like a big than a wing. Solid rebounder, poor shooter, strong.  He isn't a traditional wing, plays much more like a big guy even though he is on the short side at 6'6"

Boston doesn't have 6 wing players on its bench.  That is just crazy especially since the 2 best players on the team are both wings.  Brown played 58% of his minutes at SF last year. Tatum was at 53%. White played 8% at SF.  Heck even Brogdon logged 1% of his time at SF.  Even Blake had 2% in a mega big lineup.

Okay so you just admitted Grant isn't a wing either then.  Fine take Brissett out, even though he's still a better wing defender than Grant.

That means we have five guys who can play backup wing.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2023, 07:07:41 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487

Okay so you just admitted Grant isn't a wing either then.  Fine take Brissett out, even though he's still a better wing defender than Grant.

That means we have five guys who can play backup wing.

TP

Classic

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2023, 07:37:00 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's odd how, other than Javonte Green they went through years without really having viable backups at the position. They seemed to draft so many undersized guards and muscular and mobile PFs (Yabusele, Ojeleye, Grant), but rarely took wings. I understand that we had Tatum and Brown, but for a few years it almost seemed like they were worried Brown would feel threatened if there was any potential replacement for his position on the roster. Then two years ago they finally drafted a wing shooter in Hauser and started stocking the back end of the roster with random, oddball wings. That was followed by this year when they finally drafted another wing with potential in Jordan Walsh and spent a lot of money on wing or wing-types in free agency.

I don't know if it was intentional or it just happened that way, but every position needs capable backups and it's nice to see the Celtics focused on the position again.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I’m not surprised that Brad has loaded up on wings.

1) wings are more important in a switching defense.
2) wings make position-less basketball possible.
3) wings are more versatile in transition.
4) wings can protect a dropping center.
5) wings with length can disrupt passing lanes.
6) wings with length can help centers that don’t rebound well.
7) 2-way wings like Brown and Tatum expend a lot of energy and need backups that can reduce their load.

Once Brad got Zinger (who will need wing support) he was all in on getting wings.