Author Topic: Who do the C’s cut?  (Read 8775 times)

Re: Who do the C’s cut?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 10:51:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 10:59:14 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
My guess is Kornet gets cut and resigned to a 1-year deal to save $400k while keeping him for now.  Queta remains a 2-way because there’s no reason to convert his contract now — if he earns a better role as the year goes on you can always convert him then.

Brissett is guaranteed, so no way does he get cut.  Banton and Svi have a small guarantee, so again, no reason to cut now when you can keep them on the roster for 30 days at the same cost as releasing them.  One of Stevens or Gabriel makes it, because they only have 13 on the roster — my guess is Stevens.  Maybe they keep Gabriel too with the intent of dropping down to 14 once Banton and Svi’s guarantees have been met.
This seems like the most likely outcome. It would have been an easier decision if Stevens had been offered the guaranteed contract over Brissett, but hindsight is 20:20.

I like Brissett.  I think he’s one of those “good things happen when he’s on the court players” who’s offensive stats you should pay less attention to.. I think he’ll be ahead of Stevens in the rotation to start the year (assuming Stevens makes the team).

I thought Stevens looked better, especially in the last game. Hopefully Brad keeps them both.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 11:23:29 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 12:02:03 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
My guess is Kornet gets cut and resigned to a 1-year deal to save $400k while keeping him for now.  Queta remains a 2-way because there’s no reason to convert his contract now — if he earns a better role as the year goes on you can always convert him then.

Brissett is guaranteed, so no way does he get cut.  Banton and Svi have a small guarantee, so again, no reason to cut now when you can keep them on the roster for 30 days at the same cost as releasing them.  One of Stevens or Gabriel makes it, because they only have 13 on the roster — my guess is Stevens.  Maybe they keep Gabriel too with the intent of dropping down to 14 once Banton and Svi’s guarantees have been met.
This seems like the most likely outcome. It would have been an easier decision if Stevens had been offered the guaranteed contract over Brissett, but hindsight is 20:20.

I like Brissett.  I think he’s one of those “good things happen when he’s on the court players” who’s offensive stats you should pay less attention to.. I think he’ll be ahead of Stevens in the rotation to start the year (assuming Stevens makes the team).

I thought Stevens looked better, especially in the last game. Hopefully Brad keeps them both.

Seems like he will, since we have to have 14 and Gabriel was cut.  Which is good, I like them both.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 12:12:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Please don’t cut Queta!
(Gabriel’s cutting makes less likely)

Please don’t cut Stevens! 
(Gabriel’s cutting makes less likely)

Please play Stevens and Queta before Kornet!
(Please!)

Just because Kornet fits the system and puts his body in the right place doesn’t mean he can actually add anyrhing.  Even with Queta’s lesser fit he’ll do more for the team.  And let him have some bad games…sheesh.  Invest for heavens sakes. 

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 12:15:39 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think Kornet should be cut. He is putrid.

But Joe and Brad love him so he will survive and we will be punished by having to watch him get out worked for rebounds, watch passes go through his hands and see not be able to get off the ground.

If you expect a minimum-salary big to never do this things, you're gonna be severally disappointed whether that big is Kornet or someone else. He's not good, but the talent pool for his replacement is even worse
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2023, 12:43:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I would say that waiving Gabriel is going to be the only move for now.  They can see if anyone interesting becomes available.  Likely, they end up converting Stevens to a roster spot and going with who they have.  I am fine with that.  I am not that excited about what I have seen from Banton but I understand why they would keep him if nothing better is available.  And I don't mind Kornet, he is what he is, which is a useful end of the bench guy who knows the system and is fine with the role.

I am hoping to see more from Brissett, and think he probably will settle in.  Hauser and Pritchard had good preseasons in my view.  Still not sure on Stevens, but I did like what I saw.  Mykhailiuk seemed to play well enough to be a solid end of the bench guy.

I feel we still have a need for a PF/C who can be a 7th or 8th guy in the rotation but like the team to start the season.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 01:22:08 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Didn't Roby look better than all of our maybes.  Why not?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I would say that waiving Gabriel is going to be the only move for now.  They can see if anyone interesting becomes available.  Likely, they end up converting Stevens to a roster spot and going with who they have.  I am fine with that.  I am not that excited about what I have seen from Banton but I understand why they would keep him if nothing better is available.  And I don't mind Kornet, he is what he is, which is a useful end of the bench guy who knows the system and is fine with the role.

I am hoping to see more from Brissett, and think he probably will settle in.  Hauser and Pritchard had good preseasons in my view.  Still not sure on Stevens, but I did like what I saw.  Mykhailiuk seemed to play well enough to be a solid end of the bench guy.

I feel we still have a need for a PF/C who can be a 7th or 8th guy in the rotation but like the team to start the season.

With Horford off the bench, that’s really going to help the rotation. Hopefully one of Queta, Stevens, Brissett can turn into a Sam Hauser type role player.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 03:48:55 PM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Gabriel is only 6' 9" and 205 lbs.  While Queta is a bit slight, his size and preseason play made Gabriel expendable.

I would like to see another big Embid and/or perhaps Giannis defender - but Tatum's increased minutes at PF will be an upgrade over Grant who was a sub par rebounder.

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2023, 03:56:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Gabriel is only 6' 9" and 205 lbs.  While Queta is a bit slight, his size and preseason play made Gabriel expendable.

I would like to see another big Embid and/or perhaps Giannis defender - but Tatum's increased minutes at PF will be an upgrade over Grant who was a sub par rebounder.

True but whoever has to play SF in place of Tatum, while he is playing PF, will be a downgrade.

It will essentially work like this:

Tatum > PF (Grant?)
Brown < Tatum at SF
Holiday < Brown at SG
White < Holiday at PG
Porzingis = Porzingis at C

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2023, 04:00:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

True but whoever has to play SF in place of Tatum, while he is playing PF, will be a downgrade.

Tatum > PF (Grant?)
Brown < Tatum at SF
Holiday < Brown at SG
White < Holiday at PG

I would disagree with the bolded.  A White + Holiday backcourt is superior defensively to Holiday + Brown.  If you were doing overall, you should have put Tatum >>>>>>> Grant, because it is a massive upgrade.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2023, 04:32:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Tatum > PF (Grant?)
Brown < Tatum at SF
Holiday < Brown at SG
White < Holiday at PG

Brown isn’t much of a downgrade from Tatum at SF. Tatum is a big upgrade over Horford at PF.  Al can play both the 4/5 off the bench. That’s an ideal situation. Holiday, White, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis is the best starting 5 in the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2023, 09:39:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Tatum > PF (Grant?)
Brown < Tatum at SF
Holiday < Brown at SG
White < Holiday at PG

Brown isn’t much of a downgrade from Tatum at SF. Tatum is a big upgrade over Horford at PF.  Al can play both the 4/5 off the bench. That’s an ideal situation. Holiday, White, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis is the best starting 5 in the NBA.
Brown is a pretty significant downgrade from Tatum.  They are a different class of player.  And Tatum has no business getting beaten on by bigger stronger players more frequently at PF. 

And that certainly isn't clear cut as the best starting 5 in the sport.  I'd probably take Denver (Murray, KCP, MPG, Gordon, Jokic) and Milwaukee (Lillard, Beasley, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez) over that.  You could make a case for GS especially with a small Boston lineup (Paul, Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Dray), Phoenix (Beal, Booker, Okogie, Durant, Nurkic), and even Philly with an engaged Harden (Maxey, Harden, Harris, Tucker, Embiid), though Harden being engaged seems unlikely at this point. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2023, 09:52:08 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Tatum > PF (Grant?)
Brown < Tatum at SF
Holiday < Brown at SG
White < Holiday at PG

Brown is a pretty significant downgrade from Tatum.  They are a different class of player.  And Tatum has no business getting beaten on by bigger stronger players more frequently at PF. 

And that certainly isn't clear cut as the best starting 5 in the sport.  I'd probably take Denver (Murray, KCP, MPG, Gordon, Jokic) and Milwaukee (Lillard, Beasley, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez) over that.  You could make a case for GS especially with a small Boston lineup (Paul, Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Dray), Phoenix (Beal, Booker, Okogie, Durant, Nurkic), and even Philly with an engaged Harden (Maxey, Harden, Harris, Tucker, Embiid), though Harden being engaged seems unlikely at this point.

You could make an case for Detroit with Cade/Thompson/Bogdanovic/Stewart/Duren, too, but that doesn't mean the case is a coherent one or based in reality
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2023, 10:04:26 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Tatum > PF (Grant?)
Brown < Tatum at SF
Holiday < Brown at SG
White < Holiday at PG

The drop off in talent from Tatum to Brown is less drastic than Tatum to Horford. Fair to say? Tatum is plenty big and strong to play PF. C’s have the best starting 5, IMO. I’d put them ahead of the ones you just listed every day of the week. Draymond Green is a starting center now?  ???
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 10:12:26 PM by Goldstar88 »