Author Topic: Unleash the bulldog!  (Read 2009 times)

Unleash the bulldog!
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189

Re: Unleash the bulldog!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I think PP will play more of a PJ Brown level contributor if this team won a title. There sure is nothing wrong with that! But I’m not sure it’s enough for PP to be a happy camper.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 09:02:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  I think PP will play more of a PJ Brown level contributor if this team won a title. There sure is nothing wrong with that! But I’m not sure it’s enough for PP to be a happy camper.

I think he'd be happy with some kind of steady role.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 09:05:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we'll see PP hit double-digit PPG this season in an increased role
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 09:45:11 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491
With Smart gone, isn't fastPP our 4th guard, White-Brown, Brogdon-PP?
He should see an increase in playing time.  But then again, our coach....

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 08:34:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yes. He's a good insurance policy in case Brogdon continues to have health issues.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 09:39:56 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I would be happy to see him get a steady role of some kind. He seems to play better with a well defined role.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 11:27:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
i like to cheer for pritchard as an underdog, short guy in the nba, and late draft pick. he can shoot the ball very well from 3 point land and he should see more time this year.

but his trouble is his defense, both man-on-man and team. man-on-man he simply is not fast, strong, or tall enough to effectively defend most nba level starting guards, let alone mismatches with wings and bigs.

on team defense, he surprised me by his lack of awareness and frequent mental mistakes. he often gets caught watching the ball instead of his man and it results in easy or open shots for his man.

pritchard's defense is what worries him should he get increased minutes, not his offense.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
yes, generally speaking 6' 1" or 6' 2" players are not a good fit in today's NBA.

Everything you just said about PP's defense just as easily applied to Isaiah Thomas as well - can score a lot but gives up a lot of points.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
i like to cheer for pritchard as an underdog, short guy in the nba, and late draft pick. he can shoot the ball very well from 3 point land and he should see more time this year.

but his trouble is his defense, both man-on-man and team. man-on-man he simply is not fast, strong, or tall enough to effectively defend most nba level starting guards, let alone mismatches with wings and bigs.

on team defense, he surprised me by his lack of awareness and frequent mental mistakes. he often gets caught watching the ball instead of his man and it results in easy or open shots for his man.

pritchard's defense is what worries him should he get increased minutes, not his offense.
Right, but he clearly understands the correct position to play 1-on-1, stay in front of your man, always. I recall this specifically in a game last year where the team absolutely needed a stop.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 02:16:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2541

Who knows, but if Payton is in the rotation, plays meaningful minutes: 15-18 mpg (more when Brogdon is out), and the team is winning - what more can he expect?  That role on a contender will spark interest from other teams. He’ll get a decent next contract if he plays well with consistent minutes.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Last season, Hauser had the 8th most minutes, 1,290 min in 80 games (about 16 min per).  Pritchard was 11th with 643 min in 48 games, fewer minutes and games than Kornet.  I am fine if Pritchard is getting similar to Hauser for minutes and regularity.  Having Pritchard available to pick up more minutes is a big part of why trading Smart for Porzingis works.

Pritchard will be the 4th guard behind Brown, White, and Brogdon.  That is a great role for him.  He should do well in that role, I expect he will prove valuable in that role.