Author Topic: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers  (Read 10245 times)

Re: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I don't think any team, regardless of who it is, would give up Zion to get Anthony Davis. Davis is great, but he's 8 years older, very expensive, not especially durable, and while a superstar, he does not guarantee a team anything by himself.

Don't underestimate the appeal of Zion to sell tickets, in addition to his potential to be a superstar. Assuming he's healthy, he's going to be the most popular player in the league next year, and it won't be close.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pelicans should have offered Davis for Lebron James and Laker picks before the deadline.  Lebron is under contract for 2.5 years.  Assuming both teams approved, would Lebron have refused to go??

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Lakers win the lottery this position might change, but I mean why would the Pelicans trade with the Lakers when there are going to be much better offers available, especially now that Ingram has a clot and Ball isn't going to play the rest of the year.

Why would you even waste space here speculating "if the Lakers win the lottery?"  The odds of that are absurdly low.

1.5%
That is just for landing pick 1, they have better odds for 2, 3, or 4.  They could also improve their lottery position as they are basically just a game better then the 3 teams directly behind them in the standings.  going behind those 3 teams would move their odds at landing 1 up to 4.5%.  Washington and Memphis are also in reasonable range for them to fall behind, which puts them up to 7.5% to land #1 and would very likely ensure they are a top 8 pick (which alone makes the pick much more valuable).  The Lakers should have a pretty clear desire to tank the rest of the season and make their pick as good as possible for either trading or just flat out getting a better player.

Are you sure?  Check out the box score from their last game.  That doesn't look like a team intent on tanking the rest of their games. I thought so too, until I saw them score 43 in the 3rd quarter of that game, and Lebron showing  a lot of pride.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071682

agreed - Lebron doesn't do tanking.  bad for the brand and that's what he cares about most -- not the Laker brand or what's good for the Laker franchise.  Add in the current scuttlebutt that Lakers won't get Davis next year  no matter what and Bron's got more reason to fight for the playoffs than to get another rookie on his team.

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pelicans should have offered Davis for Lebron James and Laker picks before the deadline.  Lebron is under contract for 2.5 years.  Assuming both teams approved, would Lebron have refused to go??
would have loved to have seen that offer put on the table.  wonder who'd have been more stunned/insulted: Lebron or his media mouthpieces Steven A. Smith/Mark Jackson

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lakers win the lottery this position might change, but I mean why would the Pelicans trade with the Lakers when there are going to be much better offers available, especially now that Ingram has a clot and Ball isn't going to play the rest of the year.

Why would you even waste space here speculating "if the Lakers win the lottery?"  The odds of that are absurdly low.

1.5%
That is just for landing pick 1, they have better odds for 2, 3, or 4.  They could also improve their lottery position as they are basically just a game better then the 3 teams directly behind them in the standings.  going behind those 3 teams would move their odds at landing 1 up to 4.5%.  Washington and Memphis are also in reasonable range for them to fall behind, which puts them up to 7.5% to land #1 and would very likely ensure they are a top 8 pick (which alone makes the pick much more valuable).  The Lakers should have a pretty clear desire to tank the rest of the season and make their pick as good as possible for either trading or just flat out getting a better player.

Are you sure?  Check out the box score from their last game.  That doesn't look like a team intent on tanking the rest of their games. I thought so too, until I saw them score 43 in the 3rd quarter of that game, and Lebron showing  a lot of pride.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071682

agreed - Lebron doesn't do tanking.  bad for the brand and that's what he cares about most -- not the Laker brand or what's good for the Laker franchise.  Add in the current scuttlebutt that Lakers won't get Davis next year  no matter what and Bron's got more reason to fight for the playoffs than to get another rookie on his team.
Once they are officially eliminated, Lebron is going to be put on the shelf with some phantom injury.  And they aren't making the playoffs (especially without Ball and Ingram), so it is just a matter of when that elimination happens and how much time they will have left to properly tank.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I would imagine so.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Anything that lowers the price for Davis is good news.  Let's hope a rebuilding team wins the lottery and wants Zion.

I think a team wpuld be foolish to trade zion. He would be on a rookie contract and controllable for years.

Now the price for Davis, imo, is Tatum, the memphis pick, the Clippers pick, Boston pick 2020 and filler

Let Cs still draft this season. Would hate to miss out on some cheap depth with loads of potential.

Little at the sac pick
Fernando or reid at the boston pick

For “filler” we are going to need a good chunk of more salary.  A S&T of Rozier would certainly help and what I’m hoping for, and I hope they sign someone soon to a 2 MLE deal.

The problem with using an S&T for the 'filler' is that only half the salary in an S&T counts for matching in trade.

For Davis, we have to send out at least 22M in outgoing salary (his salary next year is just over $27M).

Tatum will make 7.8M.   If we exercise the draft picks, sign them and trade them in the package after 30 days, then their salaries can count as well.  The three picks mentioned right now would have a combined rookie scale total of about 7.5M.   That leaves a little over 6.7M in salary to be made up.

That means signing & trading Rozier on a deal paying him at least 13.4M in his first year.  Plus it has to be fully guaranteed in that first year.

Now, I'm sure that Rozier would like that salary.   But would NOP want to pay that?   That would mean paying him that much on top of also paying Jrue Holiday another $27M next year at the same position.   That's an awful lot of salary tied up in the PG spot.

Edit:  Actually, for the MEM pick to convey, it has to drop a bit from where it is at in order for it to convey and thus the amount of rookie salary the three picks would total to would be less than I indicated above.  That probably pushes the needed deal for Rozier up closer to $15M.   You could trim that back by including another player like Semi, Yabu or RW but now you are talking about a lot of bodies going to NOP and they needing a lot of empty roster spots to take them.

S&T transactions are harder and harder to make work given the rule changes of the last couple of CBAs.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:31:28 PM by mmmmm »
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Anything that lowers the price for Davis is good news.  Let's hope a rebuilding team wins the lottery and wants Zion.

I think a team wpuld be foolish to trade zion. He would be on a rookie contract and controllable for years.

Now the price for Davis, imo, is Tatum, the memphis pick, the Clippers pick, Boston pick 2020 and filler

Let Cs still draft this season. Would hate to miss out on some cheap depth with loads of potential.

Little at the sac pick
Fernando or reid at the boston pick

For “filler” we are going to need a good chunk of more salary.  A S&T of Rozier would certainly help and what I’m hoping for, and I hope they sign someone soon to a 2 MLE deal.

The problem with using an S&T for the 'filler' is that only half the salary in an S&T counts for matching in trade.

For Davis, we have to send out at least 22M in outgoing salary (his salary next year is just over $27M).

Tatum will make 7.8M.   If we exercise the draft picks, sign them and trade them in the package after 30 days, then their salaries can count as well.  The three picks mentioned right now would have a combined rookie scale total of about 7.5M.   That leaves a little over 6.7M in salary to be made up.

That means signing & trading Rozier on a deal paying him at least 13.4M in his first year.  Plus it has to be fully guaranteed in that first year.

Now, I'm sure that Rozier would like that salary.   But would NOP want to pay that?   That would mean paying him that much on top of also paying Jrue Holiday another $27M next year at the same position.   That's an awful lot of salary tied up in the PG spot.

Or

you include Williams and Yabusele and sign Rozier to a deal at 10 mill per season and include only 2 picks this season.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good news IMO for the C's if true - one formidable bidding team out of the picture.

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Bill Simmons made an interesting point the other day. A number of teams, including us, might be able to trade for the J.R. Smith contract (one year left, $15.68M, but only $3.87 guaranteed) in order to pursue a free agent. It could change the math considerably.

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Seen this?

Report: Jeanie Buss considered trading LeBron James after Anthony Davis saga

Lakers... don't ever change please!

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Thank you, Footey. Last week they were "almost in the playoffs"....today they've got Zion. Just wait a minute there, gentlemen.
It's just a formal possibility.  Not sure why people get testy over that.  Heck, lots of people think the lottery is rigged but they don't get grief for it.

A "formal possibility"?  What does that even mean?  Is there a "formal possibility" that we will get the number 9 pick (from Memphis) and then package that pick with our other first round picks to trade up to get the number one pick (Zion Williamson)?  Or that the first 8 teams will pass on Zion because of an injury scare, and we nab him at 9?  I mean, I find it borderline ridiculous that time is wasted on this board suggesting that the Lakers could possibly get the number one pick.  As of today, they have a 1.5% chance of getting it.
Yup, that's a formal possibility in my book.  If the Lakers get the #1, are going to say it is ridiculous to talk about the lottery being rigged?  Nope, we will have long threads about it.  IMO, it is fair game to talk about 1.5% chance.

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 02:46:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Bill Simmons made an interesting point the other day. A number of teams, including us, might be able to trade for the J.R. Smith contract (one year left, $15.68M, but only $3.87 guaranteed) in order to pursue a free agent. It could change the math considerably.

Or maybe Danny could use Smith's salary in a 3 team deal to fill the salary gap to get Davis? Like a 3 team deal with New Orleans and Cleveland?

So Pelicans get Tatum, Brown, Smith's salary and picks, while we throw an olive branch to Cleveland (a future 2nd rounder or something) and we get AD.....

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Thank you, Footey. Last week they were "almost in the playoffs"....today they've got Zion. Just wait a minute there, gentlemen.
It's just a formal possibility.  Not sure why people get testy over that.  Heck, lots of people think the lottery is rigged but they don't get grief for it.

A "formal possibility"?  What does that even mean?  Is there a "formal possibility" that we will get the number 9 pick (from Memphis) and then package that pick with our other first round picks to trade up to get the number one pick (Zion Williamson)?  Or that the first 8 teams will pass on Zion because of an injury scare, and we nab him at 9?  I mean, I find it borderline ridiculous that time is wasted on this board suggesting that the Lakers could possibly get the number one pick.  As of today, they have a 1.5% chance of getting it.
Yup, that's a formal possibility in my book.  If the Lakers get the #1, are going to say it is ridiculous to talk about the lottery being rigged?  Nope, we will have long threads about it.  IMO, it is fair game to talk about 1.5% chance.

Yup - the Cavs won the Wiggins lottery with like a 1.7% chance; Magic had 1.5% in the Webber Draft, Bulls 1.7% to get Rose. It's not some absurd scenario or something.

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dont think alot of NBA ppl like Magic or Buss
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin