Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62882 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The 2019 Memphis pick becomes more valuable with every Memphis loss this season.

Good for the Celts.

Eh, it's not so cut and dry.

First, the pick is top 8 protected.  So if you're hoping for the pick to convey this season, there's a fine line between losing and too much losing.

But if you think it's better the pick gets pushed back, then sure, you want Memphis to lose as many games as possible.

I don't want the pick this year.

A 2021 unprotected pick is the best case scenario.

Maybe...

Or by then the team has turned it around and we end up with a non-lottery pick.
Hard to see how they could turn it around in 2 years with their 2 best players being age 30 and 34.  The West isn't going to get easier.

Tazz this is the first thing we have agreed on in a long time. Tp
Is there a team in a worse situation than Memphis?

Detroit?
Charlotte.  Washington.  Cleveland. Detroit

None of those teams have premier young talent, are riddled with bad contracts, have players injured, and even Cleveland has protections on its 1st for 2 seasons (though it changes to a 2nd if it doesn't transfer).

Gasol and Conley still have decent trade value.  The Grizzlies could move them and rebuild rather easily.  Rebuild might take some time and with the pick protections it complicates things, but I don't think they are in a completely dire situation either.

Cleveland is OK. They're tanking and if Kevin Love comes back he's a tradeable asset. All their bad contracts will be off the book by the time they're read to get back into the free agent market. I think they're fine.

Washington has real talent on their roster, their only problem is Wall. Which is a big one.

Detroit and Charlotte, though, are in bad shape. Them and Memphis have to be the worst 3 situation in the league.
Memphis has real talent on its roster.  Gasol and Conley have value and Jackson was just a top 4 pick (and he wasn't a reach).  Parsons is a bad contract no doubt, but he comes off after 19/20 and in 20/21 they only have Jackson, Anderson, and Conley's player option on the books, so if they move Conley they will be flush with cap space entering that season.  They likely won't own their 2021 pick (as I expect them to try to tank the next 2 seasons), but if they draft correctly and trade off Gasol and Conley, I think they could certainly be a decent team in the 20/21 season and transfer a late lottery type pick to Boston.  They need to just bite the bullet and trade Gasol at the deadline and make it known Conley is available as well (they don't need to trade him until the summer though).

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:
Was talking to a couple of GMs today that both said the next 2-3 weeks would prove unusually important in determining which teams in the middle become buyers/sellers. Memphis getting ahead of it given current slump.

Memphis was always going to be a buyer considering they owe Boston a top-8 protected first-round pick that otherwise rolls over. They want to get that obligation over with this season, and obviously pass along as low a pick as possible.

The question is, who is available that gets them out of the bottom eight? And what assets do they have to land that player?
Yeah.  I don't see them getting out of the bottom 8.  They are already 2nd worst in the West and Conley and Gasol have been healthier then they have been in years.  If Gasol really is considering opting out this summer, then Memphis should absolutely trade him at the deadline and make sure they get something for him as well.  I can see why they would want to get the transfer over with as it opens up options for them, I just don't think it is all that likely that they will actually transfer the pick and if they don't, they should absolutely try to bottom out and go into asset acquisition mode.  The minor moves like Holiday, aren't going to keep that from happening, especially as the bottom of the East playoffs remains makeable for so many teams (6 to 11 is only separated by 4.5 games in the East - that makes 11 teams with the incentive to try and make the playoffs). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The 2019 Memphis pick becomes more valuable with every Memphis loss this season.

Good for the Celts.

First, the pick is top 8 protected.  So if you're hoping for the pick to convey this season, there's a fine line between losing and too much losing.

But if you think it's better the pick gets pushed back, then sure, you want Memphis to lose as many games as possible.

Maybe...

Hard to see how they could turn it around in 2 years with their 2 best players being age 30 and 34.  The West isn't going to get easier.

Detroit?

None of those teams have premier young talent, are riddled with bad contracts, have players injured, and even Cleveland has protections on its 1st for 2 seasons (though it changes to a 2nd if it doesn't transfer).

Gasol and Conley still have decent trade value.  The Grizzlies could move them and rebuild rather easily.  Rebuild might take some time and with the pick protections it complicates things, but I don't think they are in a completely dire situation either.

Cleveland is OK. They're tanking and if Kevin Love comes back he's a tradeable asset. All their bad contracts will be off the book by the time they're read to get back into the free agent market. I think they're fine.

Washington has real talent on their roster, their only problem is Wall. Which is a big one.

Detroit and Charlotte, though, are in bad shape. Them and Memphis have to be the worst 3 situation in the league.
Memphis has real talent on its roster.  Gasol and Conley have value and Jackson was just a top 4 pick (and he wasn't a reach).  Parsons is a bad contract no doubt, but he comes off after 19/20 and in 20/21 they only have Jackson, Anderson, and Conley's player option on the books, so if they move Conley they will be flush with cap space entering that season.  They likely won't own their 2021 pick (as I expect them to try to tank the next 2 seasons), but if they draft correctly and trade off Gasol and Conley, I think they could certainly be a decent team in the 20/21 season and transfer a late lottery type pick to Boston.  They need to just bite the bullet and trade Gasol at the deadline and make it known Conley is available as well (they don't need to trade him until the summer though).

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:
Was talking to a couple of GMs today that both said the next 2-3 weeks would prove unusually important in determining which teams in the middle become buyers/sellers. Memphis getting ahead of it given current slump.

Memphis was always going to be a buyer considering they owe Boston a top-8 protected first-round pick that otherwise rolls over. They want to get that obligation over with this season, and obviously pass along as low a pick as possible.

The question is, who is available that gets them out of the bottom eight? And what assets do they have to land that player?
Yeah.  I don't see them getting out of the bottom 8.  They are already 2nd worst in the West and Conley and Gasol have been healthier then they have been in years.  If Gasol really is considering opting out this summer, then Memphis should absolutely trade him at the deadline and make sure they get something for him as well.  I can see why they would want to get the transfer over with as it opens up options for them, I just don't think it is all that likely that they will actually transfer the pick and if they don't, they should absolutely try to bottom out and go into asset acquisition mode.  The minor moves like Holiday, aren't going to keep that from happening, especially as the bottom of the East playoffs remains makeable for so many teams (6 to 11 is only separated by 4.5 games in the East - that makes 11 teams with the incentive to try and make the playoffs).

Moranis, I pretty much agree with your assessment of Memphis. If they decide they want to move off of Gasol and Conley, they have a fruitful path forward.

But in a league moving away from centers that is flush with PG's, the value of those two could be in question, Gasol especially. And if Memphis is as dead set on being buyers at the trade deadline (as Lowe reported in Eddie20's quote) then they're following a bad path where their options get worse and worse.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2019, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:

It's not impossible. They're 1-9 in their last 10 games yet only 1 game behind Dallas, Orlando, Washington, Detroit and 3 games behind Miami, Charlotte, New Orleans and Minnesota. A lot can happen to push them up to 9th or 10th spot, especially if they are trying to convey their pick and some other teams above them may be sellers or injuries happen as well. We won't know for a few weeks where they really stand (after the trade deadline and buy-outs).

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:

It's not impossible. They're 1-9 in their last 10 games yet only 1 game behind Dallas, Orlando, Washington, Detroit and 3 games behind Miami, Charlotte, New Orleans and Minnesota. A lot can happen to push them up to 9th or 10th spot, especially if they are trying to convey their pick and some other teams above them may be sellers or injuries happen as well. We won't know for a few weeks where they really stand (after the trade deadline and buy-outs).
They are 1-9 with full health from Gasol and Conley.  The odds of both of them staying healthy the rest of the way, is virtually 0 based on prior seasons, but even with them they are 1-9.  The only asset of any real value they have to trade is Jackson and the odds of them trading him (or finding a player worth trading him for) are also virtually 0.  There are no moves they can reasonably make where it makes sense for them to actually make aside from trading Gasol.

As for Gasol's value, I think he is clearly worth a young player, 1st round, and salary filler.  As an example, I could totally see something like Smart, Baynes, Yabu, 1st for Gasol being a realistic trade for both teams.  Similar trades from Toronto, Milwaukee, Miami, Charlotte, and a handful of western teams also would make sense.  Gasol would absolutely have a market and one that would almost certainly yield a 1st and other mid-tier assets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2019, 05:38:28 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Good for the Celts.

Maybe...

Detroit?

This isn't accurate.

Zach Lowe:

They are 1-9 with full health from Gasol and Conley.  The odds of both of them staying healthy the rest of the way, is virtually 0 based on prior seasons, but even with them they are 1-9.  The only asset of any real value they have to trade is Jackson and the odds of them trading him (or finding a player worth trading him for) are also virtually 0.  There are no moves they can reasonably make where it makes sense for them to actually make aside from trading Gasol.

As for Gasol's value, I think he is clearly worth a young player, 1st round, and salary filler.  As an example, I could totally see something like Smart, Baynes, Yabu, 1st for Gasol being a realistic trade for both teams.  Similar trades from Toronto, Milwaukee, Miami, Charlotte, and a handful of western teams also would make sense.  Gasol would absolutely have a market and one that would almost certainly yield a 1st and other mid-tier assets.
Even with a healthy team, our own C's went through a 4-6 stretch somewhere in there. And this was a team projected to win as many as 57-60. Gotta go 30-5 down the stretch. Just sayin'. Stuff happens with the best players on the floor. You can lose to a Phoenix, or blown out, with your best guys on the floor.

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Marc Stein: My sense is that the Grizzlies, since that Jan. 14 tweet, have indeed been quietly gauging the Gasol landscape and assessing their options — even though their preference surely remains not trading him. – via New York Times

If (when?) the Grizzlies reach the point that they are truly prepared to break up their star duo of Gasol and Mike Conley, one potential trade scenario I’ve heard would involve Memphis insisting to any interested team that Chandler Parsons must be involved in the same trade. – via New York Times

What team wants to pay Marc Gasol the functional equivalent of $48 million this season and $50 million next? That’s crazy talk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
For first time, Memphis will begin listening to trade offers on franchise stars Marc Gasol and Mike Conley, league sources tell ESPN. Memphis has reached a crossroads and is preparing to weigh deals involving one or both of its cornerstone veterans. Story soon on ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1087860357626916864

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2019, 07:02:37 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Marc Stein: My sense is that the Grizzlies, since that Jan. 14 tweet, have indeed been quietly gauging the Gasol landscape and assessing their options — even though their preference surely remains not trading him. – via New York Times

If (when?) the Grizzlies reach the point that they are truly prepared to break up their star duo of Gasol and Mike Conley, one potential trade scenario I’ve heard would involve Memphis insisting to any interested team that Chandler Parsons must be involved in the same trade. – via New York Times

What team wants to pay Marc Gasol the functional equivalent of $48 million this season and $50 million next? That’s crazy talk.

And at the same time you're crushing all the value that Gasol might offer you.

Wow. Just wow. How stupid is their GM?

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2019, 07:10:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, and they aren't going to be contending any time soon or competing for any big name free agents, so why insist on unloading Parsons contract? That contract could become a good trade piece next year.

« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

A very funny question!!   You may be baiting me and you know who their GM is... If so, touche!   But if not, their GM is old friend Chris Wallace who, among other gems, chose to trade Joe Johnson and keep Kedrick Brown when he could have traded either for Rogers/Delk.  Selected Joe Forte over Tony Parker; traded for Vin Baker.  His work as Celts GM (IMO) is legendary bad.   

« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2019, 07:16:57 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Yeah, and they aren't going to be contending any time soon or competing for any big name free agents, so why insist on unloading Parsons contract? That contract could become a good trade piece next year.

They are justWe let some disguised profanity go but if you're going to try to get away with it, at least do a better job than you did with one of the most profane words there is. Thanks. BTW, I would prefer you actually follow the rules and not curse. stupid. They don't think ahead at all. Didn't they trade picks for Justin Holiday just three weeks ago! Just to try to get out of the bottom 8? And now they want to change their course? Pathetic.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:58:30 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

A very funny question!!   You may be baiting me and you know who their GM is... If so, touche!   But if not, their GM is old friend Chris Wallace who, among other gems, chose to trade Joe Johnson and keep Kedrick Brown when he could have traded either for Rogers/Delk.  Selected Joe Forte over Tony Parker; traded for Vin Baker.  His work as Celts GM (IMO) is legendary bad.   

I honestly didn't know that. I have been following the NBA just for like around a decade now. But that's interesting information. How does this guy have a job? Pretty sure he's also the one who messed up that 'wrong' Brooks deal with Washington and Phoenix (although DC's GM Grunfeld is also notoriously bad).

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I honestly didn't know that. I have been following the NBA just for like around a decade now. But that's interesting information. How does this guy have a job? Pretty sure he's also the one who messed up that 'wrong' Brooks deal with Washington and Phoenix (although DC's GM Grunfeld is also notoriously bad).

Interestingly, the one trade I will truly never forgive Wallace for (who, btw, seems like a good guy and has done an overall OK job with the Griz) is his trade of Pau Gasol to the Lakers -- handing Lakers their mini-dynasty 10 years ago.  At the time, it was a gift -- who knew Marc Gasol (part of the brothers trade) would turn out as good as he is.  But at the time it was like Wallace handing the Lakers a championship.

« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Wallace was a disaster as the Celtics GM. He, M.L. Carr and Rick Pitino are all fighting it out as worst Celtic GM ever, but I think we have to be fair here. Joe Forte was actually a Red Auerbach pick. Red very famously made Joe Forte a 2 cigar player on draft night. He would light up 2 cigars whenever he thought he had pulled one over the rest of the league on draft day and drafted someone special.

« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
What Memphis should be doing is looking for franchises that are pretty desperate (besides themselves  :D).

What about Charlotte:

Marc Gasol, Garrett Temple (expiring), JaMychal Green (expiring), Omri Casspi (expiring) for Nicolas Batum, Bismack Biyombo, Malik Monk, Willy Hernangomez + '19 Hornets 1st rounder?

Why: Gasol is the star to keep Walker. Temple, Green and Casspi are useful role players in the playoffs. And with trading Batum and Biyombo the Hornets clear a ton of salary.

Then of course Conley needs to go as well, how about New York:

Mike Conley, Shelvin Mack (expiring) for Tim Hardaway Jr, Lance Thomas, Frank Ntilikina + '20 and '21 Hornets 2nd rounders?

Why: Conley solves the PG situation for the Knicks and they become a more attractive free agent destination, while getting Hardaway and Thomas of the books.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the Grizzlies can immediately build around Ntilikina, Carter, Monk, Hardaway Jr, Brooks, Anderson, Rabb, Jackson Jr, Hernangomez + '19 Grizzlies 1st + '19 Hornets 1st. That doesn't look too bad. Batum and Biyombo are useful professional vets as well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:38:09 PM by RodyTur10 »