Author Topic: 2019 Draft  (Read 41422 times)

Re: 2019 Draft
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Is Zion Williamson a center in today's NBA?

An undersized center in the mold of a Dave Cowens or Willis Reed. Is Zion capable of that?

He looks to have the build and strength to defend players bigger than him. I think he would be very difficult for players to back down in the post. I am impressed by how mobile he is defensively in covering PnR and switches. He would do very well in that area in the NBA. The downside would be the lack of shot-blocking. Zion wouldn't offer much. His athleticism looks like it can get him some weakside blocks but less intimidating when meeting players head on (like Hibbert used to I mean). Then again, guys like Tristan Thompson do not offer much shot-blocking either and he has started at center with reasonable success.

Zion would be incredibly difficult for opposing centers to defend against with his quickness and athleticism. The way he can move from inside to outside and back again. So mobile. He would be lethal with that first step of his. Attack smaller players in switches off the PnR in the post. A lot of offensive opportunities for Zion at the center position.

In the 90s, he would've been a PF like Larry Johnson or Charles Barkley ... but in today's league, can Zion Williamson do enough defensively to successfully play as an undersized center?

I am not sold on him as a PF without more of a jump-shot. I think his NBA future is more as a 5.
My concern with Zion is that he is listed as 6’7”and 285 pounds. That is a LOT of weight to carry around.  Will his knees hold up?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Jaxson Hayes, anyone? This is the first I've heard of him.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2018/11/02/jaxson-hayes-fran-fraschilla-praises-texas-long-term-nba-prospect/1857833002/?src=rss
I don't know what he's smoking. This guy is so raw right now he's not even on the radar but I haven't seen him. He'll probably get playing time due to lack of depth. We shall see.

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2018/11/02/jaxson-hayes-fran-fraschilla-praises-texas-long-term-nba-prospect/1857833002/?src=rss
I don't know what he's smoking. This guy is so raw right now he's not even on the radar but I haven't seen him. He'll probably get playing time due to lack of depth. We shall see.

I hadn't heard of him before, TP.  Rivals had him as the 112th best prospect overall and 8th best center of his class.  He must have improved quite a bit or Fraschilla is seeing things.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I hadn't heard of him before, TP.  Rivals had him as the 112th best prospect overall and 8th best center of his class. He must have improved quite a bit or Fraschilla is seeing things.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.
Ok, maybe he is on the radar.
That Texas team is bad right now though and him being a big man without a good back-court I think he struggles.

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Is Zion Williamson a center in today's NBA?

An undersized center in the mold of a Dave Cowens or Willis Reed. Is Zion capable of that?

He looks to have the build and strength to defend players bigger than him. I think he would be very difficult for players to back down in the post. I am impressed by how mobile he is defensively in covering PnR and switches. He would do very well in that area in the NBA. The downside would be the lack of shot-blocking. Zion wouldn't offer much. His athleticism looks like it can get him some weakside blocks but less intimidating when meeting players head on (like Hibbert used to I mean). Then again, guys like Tristan Thompson do not offer much shot-blocking either and he has started at center with reasonable success.

Zion would be incredibly difficult for opposing centers to defend against with his quickness and athleticism. The way he can move from inside to outside and back again. So mobile. He would be lethal with that first step of his. Attack smaller players in switches off the PnR in the post. A lot of offensive opportunities for Zion at the center position.

In the 90s, he would've been a PF like Larry Johnson or Charles Barkley ... but in today's league, can Zion Williamson do enough defensively to successfully play as an undersized center?

I am not sold on him as a PF without more of a jump-shot. I think his NBA future is more as a 5.
My concern with Zion is that he is listed as 6’7”and 285 pounds. That is a LOT of weight to carry around.  Will his knees hold up?

If we lose Morris, Theis, and Baynes all to free agency - I think Zion could come in and play a ton. He and Yabu would be some serious muscle off the bench.

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Akok Akok anyone?  This is the first I've heard of him.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-forward-Akok-Akok-considering-bypassing-college-for-NBA-Draft-124739645/

His three point shooting combined with size will help us feel better about missing out on Zion.
I hope when he tries to block Zion at the rim he doesn't break into a million pieces.. :o >:( :P

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
Akok Akok anyone?  This is the first I've heard of him.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-forward-Akok-Akok-considering-bypassing-college-for-NBA-Draft-124739645/

That's just begging for a joke, but probably inappropriate for this website.

Okay here's an appropriate joke. From the department of redundancy department.

Bol Bol or Akok Akok?

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
So I thought Gonzaga was going to be the team to beat this year. They lost Tillie for the year but still have a couple of good prospects (Hachimura, who's played well so far and a freak of an athlete named Brandon Clarke). Check out the Clarke block at 40:45 of the video. He didn't see much time in the first half but in the second was a beast. 5 blocks and 4-4 shooting for the game. He really is a freak of athlete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjLDjp-wEY