Poll

Do You Think Kyrie Is A Top 10 Player In The NBA Today?

Yes!
30 (50%)
No. He's Top-15 though.
22 (36.7%)
No. He's Top-20 though.
8 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Is Kyrie now a Legit Top-10 Player?  (Read 7650 times)

Re: Is Kyrie now a Legit Top-10 Player?
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Except for maybe the T-Wolves guys. But to be honest, how many of us have watched a lot of T-Wolves games. They get no attention. I would be open to the possibility that KAT is that good, or thereabouts, but hasn't gotten the attention he deserves.

I don’t watch the Twolves much either, but it’s hard to imagine they’ve got two top-6 players.  Plus, they’ve got a guy who scored 24 ppg last year, the 12th-ranked player in RPM (lol) and some solid role players. Shouldn’t they be more of a threat?

I’m skeptical of averaging various metrics. Garbage results from one can lead to illegitimate results.

Metrics aside, Towns is putting up monster numbers. He's shooting less but he's shooting 59% from 2, 42%(!) from 3 and 86% from the line. His TS% is 65%.

And he's averaging 12 rpg, 2.5 apg, decent steals and blocks while being a decent defender.

I had no idea about the 3 point shooting until I looked it up. His shooting efficiency is crazy good.

As far as being a threat, OK. But for some reason they are letting Andrew Wiggins, who is shooting 44/32/63 and is a marginal defender at best, play like a #1C option instead of a #3 option. That might explain some of it.

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Westbrook
Harden
Davis
Giannis
Leonard
Paul
Cousins

Those in no particular order are your top ten players. I think Kyrie is definitely in the next group of 5-10 players.

George
Butler
Kyrie
Lillard
Towns
Embiid
Love
Wall
Porzingas
Griffin

All in no particular order

TP. That's similar to my list. I think if Embiid stays healthy, he could sneak into the Top-10 by the end of the year, or surely by next year.
I think Embiid is already top 10.  He's arguably the best big man in the game or at worst a close second to AD.  Definitely ahead of Cousins.  Cousins has his achilles injury and AD has his own injury history.
Ummmmm...Embiid doesn't have an injury history?
I made that comment because the previous poster referenced Embiid's health.  Shouldn't hold Embiid's injury history against him without doing so for Cousins and AD too.
Except Embiid has only played 75 games in 3.67 seasons. I think wondering about Embiids history as compared to other players is neccessary. Yes, he has the skills to be top 10 but until he can prove he can play a whole year without being babied through it, I don't think he deserves to be there.
Embiid has played nearly 80 games and hasn't had any problems with his foot so far.  I think wondering about Cousin's future considering the recovery history of Achilles injuries should be weighted more than Embiid's injury history.  Don't see how he's top 10 or ahead of Embiid.
Even if you move Cousins out, I would still have George and Butler as better players and one of them would be put in.

Jimmy Butler's better than Kyrie? I'm not so sure. I'd say they're pretty comparable, besides the fact that one hit a clinching shot for a championship, and the other didn't.
Are you really going to let ONE shot determine who’s better? That’s crazy. Even if you want to take into consideration Kyrie’s clutchness (Which you should), he’s not clutch because of that one shot. He’s clutch because he can do that time and time again. Plus you’re comparing him to Jimmy Butler, who’s a very good closer himself.

Anyways, I think Butler is the better player (Mostly due to wayyy better defense), but just don’t decide who’s better overall based on one shot in their careers.

Would you trade Irving for Butler in a vacuum? I wouldn't.

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 02:54:46 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Westbrook
Harden
Davis
Giannis
Leonard
Paul
Cousins

Those in no particular order are your top ten players. I think Kyrie is definitely in the next group of 5-10 players.

George
Butler
Kyrie
Lillard
Towns
Embiid
Love
Wall
Porzingas
Griffin

TP. That's similar to my list. I think if Embiid stays healthy, he could sneak into the Top-10 by the end of the year, or surely by next year.
I think Embiid is already top 10.  He's arguably the best big man in the game or at worst a close second to AD.  Definitely ahead of Cousins.  Cousins has his achilles injury and AD has his own injury history.
I made that comment because the previous poster referenced Embiid's health.  Shouldn't hold Embiid's injury history against him without doing so for Cousins and AD too.
Except Embiid has only played 75 games in 3.67 seasons. I think wondering about Embiids history as compared to other players is neccessary. Yes, he has the skills to be top 10 but until he can prove he can play a whole year without being babied through it, I don't think he deserves to be there.
Embiid has played nearly 80 games and hasn't had any problems with his foot so far.  I think wondering about Cousin's future considering the recovery history of Achilles injuries should be weighted more than Embiid's injury history.  Don't see how he's top 10 or ahead of Embiid.
Even if you move Cousins out, I would still have George and Butler as better players and one of them would be put in.

Jimmy Butler's better than Kyrie? I'm not so sure. I'd say they're pretty comparable, besides the fact that one hit a clinching shot for a championship, and the other didn't.
Are you really going to let ONE shot determine who’s better? That’s crazy. Even if you want to take into consideration Kyrie’s clutchness (Which you should), he’s not clutch because of that one shot. He’s clutch because he can do that time and time again. Plus you’re comparing him to Jimmy Butler, who’s a very good closer himself.

Anyways, I think Butler is the better player (Mostly due to wayyy better defense), but just don’t decide who’s better overall based on one shot in their careers.

I would, but that’s not the point. The point is that you shouldn’t decide that based on one shot. You still don’t get that part.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 10:24:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Westbrook
Harden
Davis
Giannis
Leonard
Paul
Cousins

George
Butler
Kyrie
Lillard
Towns
Embiid
Love
Wall
Porzingas
Griffin

It is funny, because we spent all those years hoping we'd get Cousins, or George, or Butler, etc. etc., and then out of nowhere and completely unexpected, we trade for Irving instead :P  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2018, 12:10:37 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Westbrook
Harden
Davis
Giannis
Leonard
Paul
Cousins

George
Butler
Kyrie
Lillard
Towns
Embiid
Love
Wall
Porzingas
Griffin

It is funny, because we spent all those years hoping we'd get Cousins, or George, or Butler, etc. etc., and then out of nowhere and completely unexpected, we trade for Irving instead :P  :laugh:

Can you imagine if we had added George + Hayward last year and pulled off the trade for Kyrie. WOW. Too bad IND were impatient and traded with OKC well before FA (though obviously it's worked out fantastic for IND as well with Oladipo, and even Sabonis has been very solid for them).

Though I do acknowledge it was risky for Ainge to trade for a rental and IND was likely asking a lot from us. Plus, it may have taken 1-2 assets out of the picture that was used in the Kyrie trade. So hindsight is 20/20 now.

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2018, 12:30:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Lebron
Durant
Curry
Westbrook
Harden
Davis
Giannis
Leonard
Paul
Cousins

George
Butler
Kyrie
Lillard
Towns
Embiid
Love
Wall
Porzingas
Griffin

Can you imagine if we had added George + Hayward last year and pulled off the trade for Kyrie. WOW. Too bad IND were impatient and traded with OKC well before FA (though obviously it's worked out fantastic for IND as well with Oladipo, and even Sabonis has been very solid for them).

Though I do acknowledge it was risky for Ainge to trade for a rental and IND was likely asking a lot from us. Plus, it may have taken 1-2 assets out of the picture that was used in the Kyrie trade. So hindsight is 20/20 now.

I take Kyrie over George any day personally... But I don't see an issue with George resigning with us if traded. He spoke highly about how he always wanted to play with Hayward.

Paul George called this “one of the most frustrating seasons I’ve been a part of.” He bemoaned the Pacers’ place as “the little brother of the league.” He pushed back against Indiana fans booing their own team. He expressed frustration about being kept in the dark on trade discussions before the deadline. Just last week, he told Zach Lowe of ESPN the Pacers lack an identity.

This all ought to strike fear into the Pacers, with George headed toward free agency in 2018 and Lakers rumors swirling.

How does Indiana convince George to stay?

One possibility: Signing Jazz forward Gordon Hayward, who has a player option after this season.

Lowe:

George would love to play with hometown boy Gordon Hayward, according to sources
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:37:14 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different