Author Topic: Lakers (5-5) at Celtics (9-2) Game #12 11/8/17  (Read 61804 times)

Re: Lakers (5-5) at Celtics (9-2) Game #12 11/8/17
« Reply #720 on: November 09, 2017, 12:49:39 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I feel we have several elite scorers.
no we dont.

Irving is an elite scorer.

Horford is a great offensive player, but far from an elite scorer. Brown isnt a great scorer. Hes an OK one and could eventually be a really good one. Morris is pretty decent but a far cry from elite. Tatum is pretty good too and he could eventually become an elite scorer, but no way hes there right now.

No one else on the team is good at scoring.

Horford is the best 3pt shooting big in the league right now.  On top of all else he does.   To me, that’s top of the heap. Plus Kyrie, Tatum - who can score from anywhere - of of course Hayward waiting in the wings. 

I just think we are seeing ugly offense because it’s hard to teach a lot of nuanced offensive sets to such a young, diverse group. 

Once this team really learns what Brad is trying to do offensively, we will be able to beat anyone. 

« Reply #721 on: November 09, 2017, 01:31:18 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Woof.  Looks like we're still in search of a lead scorer.  It's always nice to see the vets stepping up on nights like this, though - Baynes, Morris.  Hopefully as Jaylen and Tatum progress, we won't need someone to score 20+ in like 40 consecutive games.  Gotta score the ball to contend with the elite.

lulz

Yeah, it's too bad we dont have one of the most unguardable players in the league, who is an incredible creator, and handles the ball better than almost anyone else.

Oh well,

I guess without a lead scorer we are pretty much sunk.

This season was fun while it lasted.

Do we have an elite scorer?  Serious question.  Some guys have really been going off this year.  I think just within this past week:

Lillard: 36, 13, and 5.
Harden: 56, 13, 2. 
LeBron had his 57, 11, 7, 3, 2
Seems like Giannis drops 40 every other game
Beal has already gone for 40

What's most impressive about these guys is not just their ability to put up a ridiculous amount of points, but impact the game in so many other ways.  Truly remarkable players.

And we have more wins than all of those teams. 

Our guy is playing within a system for the first time in his career.

Impressive though, finding something about this team to complain about right now!

Sure do.  I love this team - not a single complaint.  Playing great basketball.  Have continually praised Brown, Tatum, Horford, Rozier, Smart, etc. 

It's hard to believe that some of these studs can drop 20+ in 40 consecutive games.  And others, also fill up the rest of the stat sheet.  And yet, they aren't even good enough to lead their teams to a chip!  What a competitive league of stars.

Lol

I would post the meme with the judge from Billy Madison, but I don't want you to report me.

Your dislike of Kyrie is just getting more and more wild.

Everyone knows 20 point games are cooler than wins, right?

He looks like the equivalent of a "game manager" in the NFL.  That ish actually worked really well for the 49ers for years.  I realize he'll look a lot better with time, too.  It'd just be refreshing for people to acknowledge how well he's actually playing to this point.  If that sounds wild, so be it.  And I've given you like 5x as many TPs as deserved "reports."

Edit: Please specify exactly what aspects of my previous post suggest that my dislike of Kyrie is "getting more and more wild."  Please be as specific as possible, so that we can add a little bit of substance to the convo (if that's what you'd like, too).

The offense is still really raw, you can tell they are all learning each other’s tendencies.

But we are winning in spite of that.

It’s just remarkable that those same perfect strangers can defend so well together all ready. 

Credit Brad for getting them all to buy in. 

Kyrie especially.   Guy was a career ball hog before coming here.  But you can see the progression happening.  Early shot clock iso’s have fallen off for him.   

Isaiah was electric, better than Kyrie last year.   But five years his elder and spendier, Danny made a business decision that aligns with the rest of his (presumably) keeper players. 

Classic short term pain, long term gain move. 

Will be cool to see. 

I mean how ballsy is Danny to rebuild a ECF team on the fly, and end up with a slightly better positioned, completely different ECF contending team?

It was bold, and he probably made the right move.  And yeah, Brad must be doing an incredible job.  Their defense may be enough to put them past CLE this year. 

Sucks that Hayward went down.  Obviously for himself and family, the Celtics, and fans.  He could've been the third go-to-scorer you could rely on in the playoffs.  And then Brown and Tatum look like they're taking turns having 20 pt games at this point.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #722 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
no we dont.

Irving is an elite scorer.

Horford is a great offensive player, but far from an elite scorer. Brown isnt a great scorer. Hes an OK one and could eventually be a really good one. Morris is pretty decent but a far cry from elite. Tatum is pretty good too and he could eventually become an elite scorer, but no way hes there right now.

No one else on the team is good at scoring.

Horford is the best 3pt shooting big in the league right now.  On top of all else he does.   To me, that’s top of the heap. Plus Kyrie, Tatum - who can score from anywhere - of of course Hayward waiting in the wings. 

I just think we are seeing ugly offense because it’s hard to teach a lot of nuanced offensive sets to such a young, diverse group. 

Once this team really learns what Brad is trying to do offensively, we will be able to beat anyone.
If you think Horford and Tatum are elite scorers at this stage in their careers then your bar for elite scoring is really low. That would mean 50+ elite scorers in the NBA.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #723 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:25 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Woof.  Looks like we're still in search of a lead scorer.  It's always nice to see the vets stepping up on nights like this, though - Baynes, Morris.  Hopefully as Jaylen and Tatum progress, we won't need someone to score 20+ in like 40 consecutive games.  Gotta score the ball to contend with the elite.

lulz

Yeah, it's too bad we dont have one of the most unguardable players in the league, who is an incredible creator, and handles the ball better than almost anyone else.

Oh well,

Do we have an elite scorer?  Serious question.  Some guys have really been going off this year.  I think just within this past week:

What's most impressive about these guys is not just their ability to put up a ridiculous amount of points, but impact the game in so many other ways.  Truly remarkable players.

Impressive though, finding something about this team to complain about right now!

Sure do.  I love this team - not a single complaint.  Playing great basketball.  Have continually praised Brown, Tatum, Horford, Rozier, Smart, etc. 

It's hard to believe that some of these studs can drop 20+ in 40 consecutive games.  And others, also fill up the rest of the stat sheet.  And yet, they aren't even good enough to lead their teams to a chip!  What a competitive league of stars.

Lol

I would post the meme with the judge from Billy Madison, but I don't want you to report me.

He looks like the equivalent of a "game manager" in the NFL.  That ish actually worked really well for the 49ers for years.  I realize he'll look a lot better with time, too.  It'd just be refreshing for people to acknowledge how well he's actually playing to this point.  If that sounds wild, so be it.  And I've given you like 5x as many TPs as deserved "reports."

Edit: Please specify exactly what aspects of my previous post suggest that my dislike of Kyrie is "getting more and more wild."  Please be as specific as possible, so that we can add a little bit of substance to the convo (if that's what you'd like, too).

The offense is still really raw, you can tell they are all learning each other’s tendencies.

But we are winning in spite of that.

It’s just remarkable that those same perfect strangers can defend so well together all ready. 

Credit Brad for getting them all to buy in. 

Kyrie especially.   Guy was a career ball hog before coming here.  But you can see the progression happening.  Early shot clock iso’s have fallen off for him.   

Isaiah was electric, better than Kyrie last year.   But five years his elder and spendier, Danny made a business decision that aligns with the rest of his (presumably) keeper players. 

Classic short term pain, long term gain move. 

Will be cool to see. 

I mean how ballsy is Danny to rebuild a ECF team on the fly, and end up with a slightly better positioned, completely different ECF contending team?

It was bold, and he probably made the right move.  And yeah, Brad must be doing an incredible job.  Their defense may be enough to put them past CLE this year. 

Sucks that Hayward went down.  Obviously for himself and family, the Celtics, and fans.  He could've been the third go-to-scorer you could rely on in the playoffs.  And then Brown and Tatum look like they're taking turns having 20 pt games at this point.
"probably made the right move"

this is inconsistent with the idea that Irving is NBAs Alex Smith. If you think its a good move, you must also think Irving is a stud. No other way it makes sense.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #724 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

lulz

Oh well,

Lol

"game manager"

"Alex Smith"

lol

You hate this guy so much

We don't always agree, but thank you so much, for pointing out how ridiculous it is to compare Kyrie to Alex smiff.

It was meant to be a compliment.  Alex Smith looked like the GOAT against the Patriots defense this year (actually true). 

« Reply #725 on: November 09, 2017, 04:00:05 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Lol I haven't seen baiting like this since Lrbrd stopped posting.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #726 on: November 09, 2017, 04:14:56 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Is any part untrue?

« Reply #727 on: November 09, 2017, 04:23:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is any part untrue?
The part where you implied Kyrie isn't a suitable lead scorer.

It's to the point of ridiculousness lol. We lose two starters for one game, Kyrie happens to shoot badly (almost as if the entire defence was focused on him, crazy!) and you pull out this nonsense.

It's really boring
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #728 on: November 09, 2017, 04:34:46 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Is any part untrue?

It's to the point of ridiculousness lol. We lose two starters for one game, Kyrie happens to shoot badly (almost as if the entire defence was focused on him, crazy!) and you pull out this nonsense.

It's really boring

Let's talk when he starts playing more than 1 quarter.  This is the franchise, correct?  That's what i continue to read here.  So, per Boston tradition, I'd like KI to prove she deserves all of this admiration in Boston so quickly. 

I don't remember your posts ever changing my worldview, but I apologize if mine aren't tickling your fancy.  I'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:42:55 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #729 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is any part untrue?

It's really boring

Let's talk when he starts playing more than 1 quarter.  This is the franchise, correct?  That's what i continue to read here.  So, per Boston tradition, I'd like KI to prove she deserves all of this admiration in Boston so quickly. 

I don't remember your posts ever changing my worldview, but I apologize if mine aren't tickling your fancy.  I'll keep trying.
Very mature
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #730 on: November 09, 2017, 05:04:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Is any part untrue?

It's really boring

Very mature

T-to-the-P!

« Reply #731 on: November 09, 2017, 05:16:48 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Is any part untrue?

It's really boring

« Reply #732 on: November 09, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Is any part untrue?

It's really boring

Referring to Kyrie as "she"...come on man...

No-one here is denying Isaiah went supernova last season, but even despite that statistical monster of a season, Kyrie is still better as a net package than Isaiah was. Look at the ratings and defensive numbers so far. He has been fantastic. Just last game he carried us down the stretch from a scoring perspective.

Expecting a record season from the best offensive guy every year is absurd.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #733 on: November 09, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
It took IT a year to adjust to his team, also another year to adjust when the defenses are focusing on him (remember prior playoffs).

Some posters are just being unfair and ridiculous, even when they give out praise you can see the veiled insults. I still can't bring myself to cheer to root for Kyrie, and I don't expect to start soon. But I can see that some of my concerns are quelled. IT was great for us, but he is not part of the team anymore. One player leaves and suddenly they are treated as gods while forgetting their flaws.

We didn't have Horford, we lost Tatum. Our spacing was horrible, our player movement were horrible. As good as Baynes played, he couldnt replace what Al brought to the team, spacing, passing, screening and most of all, having someone who can draw attention from Kyrie, even for a bit.

« Reply #734 on: November 09, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
So Lonzo continued to look like garbage to me. However, I think the fakers got a real player in that Kuzma kid. He looks awesome for the modern 4.
#JKJB