Author Topic: NCAA Tournament 2024  (Read 18791 times)

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2024, 10:26:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
UConn/Alabama game has been good so far…

Bama is fierce and scrappy defense. Helterskelter ball confuses UConn some. I d never seen Bama play.
Bama has the highest scoring offense in the nation.  Bama's defense had been somewhat lacking most of the season but it has picked up in the tournament.   

I d like to seen a game between Houston and Bama .  Bar fight that one !

UConn looks like they preparing to loose this game .  Bama is relentless . ….i think they know now we can beat UConn. 

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2024, 11:07:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Congrats to UConn . For the Win.

Finally had a worthy opponent.  Good game Alabama ! 

Fight now between the two Towers ..Edey and Clingan

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2024, 01:52:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Rather surprised considering it was played on a Friday but the Iowa/Uconn women's game broke viewing records. 

The Hawkeyes’ 71-69 victory on Friday over the UConn Huskies in the Final Four averaged 14.2 million viewers, making it the most-viewed women’s basketball game and the largest viewership for an ESPN basketball broadcast, according to the sports network.

Friday’s game peaked at 17 million viewers, making it ESPN’s second-best non-football telecast ever.
https://www.cnn.com/business/iowa-womens-basketball-ratings-record/index.html

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2024, 03:36:13 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2967
  • On To Banner 18!
Clark is amazing. But Iowa needs her to be on her game all afternoon and the team needs to make these outside shots at a high clip, because otherwise there are a ton of matchup issues between them and South Carolina
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2024, 04:40:20 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1445
Clark is amazing. But Iowa needs her to be on her game all afternoon and the team needs to make these outside shots at a high clip, because otherwise there are a ton of matchup issues between them and South Carolina

Iowa should have gotten Martin involved earlier on. Would have taken some pressure off Clark. She was really good last game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2024, 05:09:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2534
Good game. South Carolina too much for Iowa.

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2024, 05:18:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Good game. South Carolina too much for Iowa.

As an Iowa fan living in Iowa cheering for the team with an excited 10 year old daughter, it was a disappointing end to an amazing run.

Iowa went 1-7 from 3 in the third (i think) and they were all really good looks. They just couldn't make shots they normally make. Then they got tight and nervous.

But it was an amazing run these last few years. Nothing but pride for that team that became more than the sum of their parts. They fought hard until the end and had a real chance. Bluder is a really good coach and managed a less talented team through most of the tournament. Of course Clark is amazing, but Martin, Marshall, Stulke, O'Grady, Affolter, and others all had their moments to help their team win games.

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2024, 05:25:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I will say, with athletes like Reese, Clark, and many others the women's game is in a good place. Frankly I found myself more engaged and in tuned with the women's tournament than the men's one this year. A lot more hype and it's nice to see the media and nation noticing more as well.

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2024, 06:10:53 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I will say, with athletes like Reese, Clark, and many others the women's game is in a good place. Frankly I found myself more engaged and in tuned with the women's tournament than the men's one this year. A lot more hype and it's nice to see the media and nation noticing more as well.

I don't even know who's playing in the men's final, tbh.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2024, 07:44:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I think it helps that they're all 4 year players, so it helps build the rivalries, one of the things I miss from the men's game.

Kind of ironically though to my previous point though, it seems opening up the transfer rules have helped too.  Last 2 women's Most Outstanding Players were transfers who didn't have to sit out a year.  Letting players move to find the best fit for them seems to be helping.

And the NIL stuff has helped too, raises everyone's profile, gets other people invested.

Just need this to carry over to the WNBA, and the game will be in really good place.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2024, 11:34:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Calipari is leaving Kentucky for Arkansas.  Now that is strange.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2024, 06:00:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is wild.  Men's final isn't going to beat this tonight.

ABC/ESPN’s telecast of South Carolina’s thrilling 87–75 win over Iowa averaged 18.7 million viewers, ESPN said on Monday. The network said it was the most watched basketball game since 2019, beating the ratings for every sporting event outside of football and the Olympics in that period. It came up just short of the the 19.5 million who watched NBC’s broadcast of the U.S. vs. Brazil gold medal game at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Current South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley was part of that gold-medal-winning American squad.

Viewership peaked at 24 million viewers, the network said. It smashed the previous women’s college basketball record, set just Friday night, and nearly doubled last year’s Iowa-LSU title game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2024, 08:54:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Calipari is leaving Kentucky for Arkansas.  Now that is strange.

The Doc Rivers of NCAAM  :laugh:

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2024, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Edey rocks

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2024, 10:16:32 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Edey rocks

And he’s projected to go #30 to the Celtics!